Will Smith and Antoine Fuqua Team on Runaway Slave Thriller ‘Emancipation’

Daps
Would like to see more black films that have nothing to do with the hood, slavery, or the civil rights movement

:hubie:

But at least 2 black people are about to make millions, so good for them.

Daps
Not in the mood for this. At all. Would be there for any other movie Antoine and Will want to do (even though I really think Antoine is the wrong guy for this) but not this one. Tell new stories. We need to change the narrative and im tired of White America seeing us as victims, animals, or somewhere in between.

Change the narrative? What narrative is there that needs to be changed with respect to slavery?

Daps
Not sure why either guy is interested in doing a slave movie.

If Will wanted to do a period piece set around the same time but not focused on the slavery aspect then why not do something like the story of Nat Love, the famous black cowboy (nicknamed Deadwood dikk) or Matthew Henson, the black explorer who was part of the team that discovered the North Pole and is credited as being the first person on the team to actually set foot on what would become known as the North Pole (he planted the US flag there too).

Both men were former slaves but that wasn't the most important detail about who they became in their storied lives.

They are doing it because they obviously want to make a move about slavery. You guys really need to stop projecting your insecurities onto other people. If you have insecurities about slavery even bringing brought up, then that is whatever. However, it becomes a problem when you want to make your insecurities other people’s insecurities.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Change the narrative? What narrative is there that needs to be changed with respect to slavery?
Not with respect to slavery; change the narrative with respect to being black in America. Movies, tv, media in general are empathy machines. And they create images in the minds of viewers, even if it’s subconsciously. And for decades, the big narrative in media is either a slave movie with us going through pain or a movie of us being thugs who need to be restrained or worse. It all basically says the black experience is pain and trauma and anger and violence. And that affects viewers.

I just want to see some different shyt. Want to see us in a different light. We have many more historical black women and men who deserve to have their stories told if will or anyone else wants to prop up our history.

Daps
Would like to see more black films that have nothing to do with the hood, slavery, or the civil rights movement

:hubie:

But at least 2 black people are about to make millions, so good for them.

I see a bunch of people saying this online, but The Photograph just came out and bombed. The people who insist on pushing that narrative really need to invest the energy you have in shouting down things that you do not want into supporting the things that you say you want.

Daps
Not with respect to slavery; change the narrative with respect to being black in America. Movies, tv, media in general are empathy machines. And they create images in the minds of viewers, even if it’s subconsciously. And for decades, the big narrative in media is either a slave movie with us going through pain or a movie of us being thugs who need to be restrained or worse. It all basically says the black experience is pain and trauma and anger and violence. And that affects viewers.

I just want to see some different shyt. Want to see us in a different light. We have many more historical black women and men who deserve to have their stories told if will or anyone else wants to prop up our history.

I thought that that is what you are suggesting. I am not seeing how slavery plays into that. If you want to combat negative images, then you need to shout down shows such as Snowfall and Power. Those shows are popular on here, though, and popular amongst a lot of people who harangue about depictions in entertainment.

I agree that entertainment can often be empathy machines, but I am not seeing how empathizing with slavery is a bad thing. It is a fact that many of the injustices and disparities that we see today trace to slavery, so how is helping draw those parallels in entertainment negative? I am not seeing how that plays into negative stereotypes.

The notion that slave movies are pervasive is just outright untrue. There have literally been seven projects about American chattel slavery to have wide theater runs since 1989. Where are all of these movies about slavery?

Too many of the few projects about slavery are meditations on pain and suffering that solely explore the brutality. Antoine Fuqua is not that type of director, though. He is a commercial action director. The biggest problem is that his projects are not that impressive to be honest.

I believe that they need to try new approaches that steer away from just the suffering and brutality, and there are people who are actually doing that. I cannot say too much because it is a test screening for a project that is not out yet, but one of the best projects that I saw last year is a Hitchcock thriller about slavery and the parallels to contemporary America. You do not get those types of things if you just ban anything exploring slavery.

I agree with you that there needs to be more balance. However, people oughta be going about that by putting out more of things about z, not less about x. Most of the projects starring Black People in recent years are not pushing such negativity, though. Too many of you guys ignore the more mundane images of Black People that you say you want to see (The Photograph.)

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I thought that that is what you are suggesting. I am not seeing how slavery plays into that. If you want to combat negative images, then you need to shout down shows such as Snowfall and Power. Those shows are popular on here, though, and popular amongst a lot of people who harangue about depictions in entertainment.

I agree that entertainment can often be empathy machines, but I am not seeing how empathizing with slavery is a bad thing. It is a fact that many of the injustices and disparities that we see today trace to slavery, so how is helping draw those parallels in entertainment negative? I am not seeing how that plays into negative stereotypes.

The notion that slave movies are pervasive is just outright untrue. There have literally been seven projects about American chattel slavery to have wide theater runs since 1989. Where are all of these movies about slavery?

Too many of the few projects about slavery are meditations on pain and suffering that solely explore the brutality. Antoine Fuqua is not that type of director, though. He is a commercial action director. The biggest problem is that his projects are not that impressive to be honest.

I believe that they need to try new approaches that steer away from just the suffering and brutality, and there are people who are actually doing that. I cannot say too much because it is a test screening for a project that is not out yet, but one of the best projects that I saw last year is a Hitchcock thriller about slavery and the parallels to contemporary America. You do not get those types of things if you just ban anything exploring slavery.

I agree with that there needs to be more balance. However, people oughta be going about that by putting out more of things about z, not less about x. Most of the projects starring Black People in recent years are not pushing such negativity, though. Too many of you guys ignore the more mundane, human images of Black People that you say you want to see (The Photograph.)

I agree with most of that and I definitely agree with the coli or people in general ignoring things like the photograph or about last night. My problem is since the 70s, we’ve told the story of slavery on screens. Whether it’s roots, whether it’s underground, 12 years a slave, birth of a nation (Nat turner), glory (slaves going to war), the new version of roots, Harriet, amistad, free state of jones, etc and as a black man, I got it. I don’t need anymore education on the subject.