Will Rockstar always be the gold standard for Free roam/Sandbox games?

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
this could be wrong but i think Rockstar's made so much money from the online subscription of GTA V that they're gonna focus on that instead of the single player for VI
which is a shame smh, i don't going to do anything for rdr2 single player dlc.

Nobodyknows

All Star
Daps
Reppin
UK
And if you don’t think any of those games are better than RDR2 and GTAV well you just have shyt taste
Elaborate on it. None of those games give you a reason to care about them. AC used to give you characters to care about with a somewhat decent story, now all they care about is shytting another game out every other year. You CANNOT convince me that if Ubisoft and Rockstar went head to head that Ubisoft would come out with the better game. Ubisoft releases games for in the mean time just to hold you over until Rockstar drops a classic. And that’s just comparing single player.

Lurk Angle

All Star
Daps
if saints row goes back to its roots
if cyberpunk does well
and if watch dogs 3 does well
than no

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bethesda :mjlol:

I was once a huge fan of their games but let’s be real they ain’t shyt. Rockstar doesn’t need a modding community to make their games classic while the other does. Fallout 4 was mid as fukk and let’s not even talk about 76. They benefit from a rabid fan base that gives zero fukks they just want to play a Bethesda game. Look at 76, game littered with bugs and is a straight cash grab BUT nikkas still play that shyt and complain when the game ain’t worth a fukk. Most games like that would be dead but the pimp knows the ho won’t leave

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Rockstar's problem is their game design. Sure technically and visually their games look good but the missions and gameplay are starting to fall off.

Saw this video this morning. Creh is annoying but no lies were told.

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
Its been a wrap since GTA 1 ... GTA 2 kicked the buildings over and GTA London was the unspoken secret weapon

No matter who passes them, theyve been doing this shyt since way the fukk back ... No comparison to me.
GTA pushed the envelope in all of gaming so many times that they should get residuals from other companies

Nobodyknows

All Star
Daps
Reppin
UK
if saints row goes back to its roots
if cyberpunk does well
and if watch dogs 3 does well
than no
IDK, Saints row better bring something special to the table if they wanna rejoin the conversation. They need a new engine and really need be innovative like they were with SR2. They really fukked up bad the past 3 games and I don’t think that going back to the roots would be enough. I picked up Agents of Mayhem and the game was absolute trash. Cyberpunk really alienates a lot of things by making it first person only. People wanna design their character and pimp their ride and actually be able to see it. Disappointing they’re not including the option to go in 3rd person.
Watch Dogs Legion sounds dope I’ve actually got pretty high expectations for it considering they improved on a lot in the second. But still, it won’t topple GTA or RDR2. The online sucks and the customisation was still trash(Although improved)
And the free roam aspect doesn’t feel as satisfying IMO. Exploring GTA and RDR maps felt exciting and intriguing with all the new areas & whilst I was disappointed with the lack of civilisation areas, they were still much more enjoyable to roam than the Watch Dogs cities. AC gives Rockstar a run for their money when it comes to exploration and creating a beautiful virtual world, I just wish it felt more immersive.

Nobodyknows

All Star
Daps
Reppin
UK
Not to mention all of the private servers for GTA V and San Andreas which by the way, still have active servers and probably net 500-2000 people on English speaking servers and even more on Russian servers.

I feel like they’ll drop some SP DLC when they decide to drop GTA 6, there’s a large amount of people willing to spend the cash on it the moment it drops and I don’t think that will go unnoticed. Maybe they’re just stacking their P just to blow everyone and everything out the water once again and create a game to last a decade or 2.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
IDK, Saints row better bring something special to the table if they wanna rejoin the conversation. They need a new engine and really need be innovative like they were with SR2. They really fukked up bad the past 3 games and I don’t think that going back to the roots would be enough. I picked up Agents of Mayhem and the game was absolute trash. Cyberpunk really alienates a lot of things by making it first person only. People wanna design their character and pimp their ride and actually be able to see it. Disappointing they’re not including the option to go in 3rd person.
Watch Dogs Legion sounds dope I’ve actually got pretty high expectations for it considering they improved on a lot in the second. But still, it won’t topple GTA or RDR2. The online sucks and the customisation was still trash(Although improved)
And the free roam aspect doesn’t feel as satisfying IMO. Exploring GTA and RDR maps felt exciting and intriguing with all the new areas & whilst I was disappointed with the lack of civilisation areas, they were still much more enjoyable to roam than the Watch Dogs cities. AC gives Rockstar a run for their money when it comes to exploration and creating a beautiful virtual world, I just wish it felt more immersive.
The only problem with Saints Row is that they went completely away from what made the first 2 games iconic. All the presidential space shyt was absolute garbage and never made you want to play through it again, but the SR 1&2 had a great story and in depth realism. I would honestly rather they just make a reboot of the first game with updated graphics and maybe flesh out characters like Lin & Dex more. If they make a new Saints Row then they need to return it to the original Stillwater with options to venture to other cities.

Nobodyknows

All Star
Daps
Reppin
UK
Witcher 3 > Gtav no?
No. I felt the Witcher is too hardcore with the RPG elements IMO. There’s a line and I think ES4 walked it perfectly. Skyrim catered to a more casual audience but still did the job well which is why it’s highly regarded. The Witcher’s good, probably a top 10 Free roam game maybe even top 5 but nobody thinks The Witcher straight off the bat other than the die hard hardcore fans when free roam games are the brought up.

The only problem with Saints Row is that they went completely away from what made the first 2 games iconic. All the presidential space shyt was absolute garbage and never made you want to play through it again, but the SR 1&2 had a great story and in depth realism. I would honestly rather they just make a reboot of the first game with updated graphics and maybe flesh out characters like Lin & Dex more. If they make a new Saints Row then they need to return it to the original Stillwater with options to venture to other cities.
A reboot including both games with a bigger map surrounding the main locations would be DOPE. But I’d like to see their attempt at another city though. Steel port was trash but they had the right idea.

Also I’m sure they could throw Dex into the mix. I think he’s down with ultor as far as I can remember, I remember roughly a cassette tape or cutscene talking about it. Like when you find the hidden secret and it gives you the mission to kill Julius

Lurk Angle

All Star
Daps
I agree about cyberpunk they shot themselves in the foot wit the first person only
Its gonna get boring fast unless they add a third person feature somehow
Watch dogs is cool but I'm afraid the story will fail like watch dogs 2 story
Saints row was the closet to matching rockstar with gta in terms of immersion and detail
But the devs kept getting tired of people calling it a gta clone

I still think rockstar will always beat out competitors but I feel like these other devs can still put out quality to match them

Dushane Hill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Squamish, British Columbia
For me the best open world game outside of anything made by Rockstar was Scarface: The World Is Yours, I fukking loved that game.

Never played the first one but I thought Watch Dogs 2 was really good as well. I enjoyed the True Crime games but they were super buggy and just seemed unfinished.

With regards to GTA, I've made it known numerous times on here that I felt the last game (GTA V) was a huge disappointment. I think they need to come up with a way to freshen up the series because IMO it's just gone a bit stale. New locations are desperately needed, if they set the game in Vice City I wont be buying it (obviously this is a lie but I'm gonna be disappointed if they set it there). Anyone thats played RDR2 will know how incredible that game was, after GTA V it gave me hope that Rockstar still has it in them to create another epic SINGLE PLAYER based GTA game.