Will Rockstar always be the gold standard for Free roam/Sandbox games?

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
Elaborate on it. None of those games give you a reason to care about them. AC used to give you characters to care about with a somewhat decent story, now all they care about is shytting another game out every other year. You CANNOT convince me that if Ubisoft and Rockstar went head to head that Ubisoft would come out with the better game. Ubisoft releases games for in the mean time just to hold you over until Rockstar drops a classic. And that’s just comparing single player.

RDR2 and GTAV were boring and soulless from gameplay to characters. Sure they are good at world building but their games are an utter slog to get through. I mean RDR2 literally people on stream falling asleep. The last two AC games, WDII, spiderman, HZD blew them away in terms of story, gameplay, characters, etc

mvp_status

Superstar
Daps
RDR2 and GTAV were boring and soulless from gameplay to characters. Sure they are good at world building but their games are an utter slog to get through. I mean RDR2 literally people on stream falling asleep. The last two AC games, WDII, spiderman, HZD blew them away in terms of story, gameplay, characters, etc

Gta 5 i get but you high if you think RDR2 had soulless characters

Arthur Morgan is the GOAT character this gen :ufdup:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Easy to do when you release 1 game every 6 years and it does BILLIONS in profit... No other company will ever do it, let alone have the staff and resources to do so because they spread so thin. The companies you named, look them up... How many fukking games they dropping A YEAR??? Rockstar has released a total of 3 NEW games since 2012 (Max Payne 3, RDR 2, GTA 5) That's IT. They put the entire building behind a project and don't drop it until they damn well please

Classic case of "You can do one thing great or many things good"

Kairi Irving

Here Comes A New Challenger
Daps
YT recommended this vid to me. shyts 100% fax

I feel as though Rockstars game design is the standard every other developer should aspire to be like

Days Gone for example has outdated game design

NskeyJakey just doesn't fukk with Rockstar like that :camby:

Nobodyknows

All Star
Daps
Reppin
UK

I’ve got to disagree, the AC games were cool but the stories were mediocre at best and the characters were absolutely ass. Spider-Man was a fun game but the novelty wore off and got repetitive after the story (which felt short as fukk) because of using the same formula Ubisoft use with the discovering fast travel points and boring mini games. I haven’t played HZD enough to give a fair opinion but for what I did it was enjoyable and felt like a great game.

RDR2 gave birth to some iconic characters while also including some classic favourites. People fukking loved Arthur Morgan and the others, you don’t really hear praise of Alexios or Kassandra or any other AC characters, Other than the original trilogy protagonists

Doodle

Banned
Daps
Rockstar games from now on need to have an optional arcade mode and sim mode. That way both camps will be happy.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
...also RDR2 borrowed HEAVILY from BOTW but no one wants to admit it and will disingenuously respond that they both have horses and that’s it lol smh

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
explain... as this is part 2 and a lot of things were there in part 1

yes there were a lot of things present in RDR2 from RDR but not the elements borrowed from BOTW that I’m referring too...just off the dome...caring for your horse extensively...preparing/cooking food...changing clothes according to climate...I’m still thinking so there might be more to add

also (going off on a tangent here a bit) where RDR2 “fails” in comparison is as gorgeous as the landscape is...you cannot interact w/ it as heavily as you can in BOTW...a very simple example...if I’m hunting in the woods in RDR2 and a bear/cougar comes @ me while I’m near a tree...I can’t climb that tree...the shyt is just fukking there...BOTW...if a tree is there I can climb it...if a boulder is there I can try and push it...the scenery isn’t there just for the sake of looking pretty

Last edited:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

ya I had issues w/ some of the dialogue (overall not this scene you posted) but I’d be lying if I said him being diagnosed w/ tuberculosis didn’t affect my gameplay...I was killing everything but that diagnosis coupled w/ him working w/ the natives just made me decide to play the character “right” instead of having him rob/kill everyone...shyt was fukked up when he died...I actually didn’t play the epilogue for a hot minute on the strength of that smh...chapter 6 was just damn near a masterpiece...I really felt like I was in a spaghetti western...keep meaning to replay it

Last edited: