Will Rockstar always be the gold standard for Free roam/Sandbox games?

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Nah, they got to do better than one above average game to be put on Rockstars level...

Rockstar been dropping consistent AAA level heat for 20 years and still counting...Not a single wack or subpar game in that time span, even that table tennis game was quality...

Bethesda on the other hand hasn't dropped a AAA quality game since Fallout 4 in 2015 and before that it was Skyrim in 2011...

It's been consistent Skyrim re-releases and major flop money grab bug filled games one after the other going on for half a decade now from Bethesda...
If we're being real, Rockstar is GTA above all and then the Red Dead series. Those are their two flagships. It's one thing to enjoy the Max Payne series, Midnight Club, Bully, Manhunt, Warriors, or L.A Noire, but none of those games is why Rockstar is where it is now.

Bethesda has Doom, Wolfenstein, Dishonored, and The Evil Within, but Fallout and Elder Scrolls are their flagships. I'm comfortable saying the order of relevance is:
GTA
Fallout
Elder Scrolls
Red Dead

when it comes to cultural relevance and appeal. That's even with Fallout 76's dismal performance. RDR2 is a classic, but relatively short lived (culturally) game compared to those other series. Skyrim was ridiculously popular for years. The same for Fallout 3. Fans will more than embrace a return to form from Bethesda when it comes to those properties.

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
If we're being real, Rockstar is GTA above all and then the Red Dead series. Those are their two flagships. It's one thing to enjoy the Max Payne series, Midnight Club, Bully, Manhunt, Warriors, or L.A Noire, but none of those games is why Rockstar is where it is now.

Bethesda has Doom, Wolfenstein, Dishonored, and The Evil Within, but Fallout and Elder Scrolls are their flagships. I'm comfortable saying the order of relevance is:
GTA
Fallout
Elder Scrolls
Red Dead

when it comes to cultural relevance and appeal. That's even with Fallout 76's dismal performance. RDR2 is a classic, but relatively short lived (culturally) game compared to those other series. Skyrim was ridiculously popular for years. The same for Fallout 3. Fans will more than embrace a return to form from Bethesda when it comes to those properties.
I agree, GTA and RDR are Rockstars two flagships and they consistently deliver with them...

My point here is you cannot say the same for Bethesda and their two flagships...Elder Scrolls Online and Fallout 76 dealt two massive black eyes to Bethesda, the latter severely staining their reputation...One or two good games isn't going to fix that...

I also don't think its right to downplay the cultural significance of a franchise like Max Payne which Rockstar has been associated with since 2001...MP3 is one of the best TPS of all time and that was all Rockstar Games...

As of 2019 my rank in terms of consistency and relevance...

GTA
Elder Scrolls
RDR
Fallout
Max Payne

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
I agree, GTA and RDR are Rockstars two flagships and they consistently deliver with them...

My point here is you cannot say the same for Bethesda and their two flagships...Elder Scrolls Online and Fallout 76 dealt two massive black eyes to Bethesda, the latter severely staining their reputation...One or two good games isn't going to fix that...

I also don't think its right to downplay the cultural significance of a franchise like Max Payne which Rockstar has been associated with since 2001...MP3 is one of the best TPS of all time and that was all Rockstar Games...

As of 2019 my rank in terms of consistency and relevance...

GTA
Elder Scrolls
RDR
Fallout
Max Payne
I wasn't trying to put down Max Payne, but that series was never a hit on the level of the other four series. I agree with your sentiment about Bethesda's last two releases in those respective series, but I just think Fallout and Elder Scrolls can easily be games of a generation if executed to the level the company is capable of.

This was more me trying to come up with a viable competitor to Rockstar in the free roaming game and Bethesda's the only one I see being close when at their best. CD Projekt Red has to show and prove with Cyberpunk. Ubisoft belongs in the convo if only for quantity.

Are we counting From Software's game's as true sandbox/open worlds?:patrice:

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
I wasn't trying to put down Max Payne, but that series was never a hit on the level of the other four series. I agree with your sentiment about Bethesda's last two releases in those respective series, but I just think Fallout and Elder Scrolls can easily be games of a generation if executed to the level the company is capable of.

This was more me trying to come up with a viable competitor to Rockstar in the free roaming game and Bethesda's the only one I see being close when at their best. CD Projekt Red has to show and prove with Cyberpunk. Ubisoft belongs in the convo if only for quantity.

Are we counting From Software's game's as true sandbox/open worlds?:patrice:
If by hit you mean sales numbers, no game in Bethesda's lineup other than Skyrim is touching GTA/RDR numbers and that's only because Skyrim had like 5 releases...

Max Payne was originally released only on PC and completely changed TPS...It sold really well and later was ported over to consoles...The problem was that console port was garbage, hence why MP wasn't received as well on the consoles and never gained that GTA3 popularity which released the same year...It didn't help matters it took a decade after MP2 to drop another Max Payne game and I feel MP3 suffered from that, as well as Rockstar becoming synonymous with sandbox/open world games...Their fanbase wants GTA and RDR, not linear story based experiences, hence why the MP formula didn't appeal to them...

I agree with you on CDPR needing to deliver with Cyberpunk but IMO they don't need a homerun like Bethesda does...CDPR delivered the game of the generation with Witcher 3, that earned them a lot of fan credit and they're basically playing with house money when it comes to Cyberpunk...They can afford to take chances plus Cyberpunk is a new IP...That said, if CDPR can deliver another blockbuster, Cyberpunk will be the game that puts them on the upper-echelon of open world gaming with Rockstar and I think they will...

And no I don't consider From Soft games as true sandbox...If you count them, then you have to count the new God Of War and that IMO gets messy because these games are primarily linear experiences with some open world freedom elements sprinkled in...

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
Fallout > GTA on the PC

not even close. The amount of modding speaks for itself.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Rockstar is the gold standard because they got the narrative down perfect. Even their shyttiest stories have better characters, dialogues and moments than most open world games and they are consistent with them. Each side mission offers the same level of presentation as a story mission. Of course the mission itself can be a bit more basic but through its presentation it still becomes a memorable experience whereas most games treat side quests like an actually side activity and don't even put half as much care into them.

zerorequiem

All Star
Daps
It definitely makes me curious to see what these companies have in store on next gen consoles and on PC in the future.