Will Rockstar always be the gold standard for Free roam/Sandbox games?

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
I’ve got to disagree, the AC games were cool but the stories were mediocre at best and the characters were absolutely ass. Spider-Man was a fun game but the novelty wore off and got repetitive after the story (which felt short as fukk) because of using the same formula Ubisoft use with the discovering fast travel points and boring mini games. I haven’t played HZD enough to give a fair opinion but for what I did it was enjoyable and felt like a great game.

RDR2 gave birth to some iconic characters while also including some classic favourites. People fukking loved Arthur Morgan and the others, you don’t really hear praise of Alexios or Kassandra or any other AC characters, Other than the original trilogy protagonists

Arthur was your prototypical boring stiff cac protag. There was nothing interesting or compelling about him compared to John and since it was a prequel you knew how the story was gonna end(and even the ending was rushed and corny) AC oddy didn’t have the best story but that gameplay and options was A1 and they made the two twins character arc compelling. RDR2 controls, missions, and side quest fukking sucked(hunting :scust: )

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
I'm fukking sick of open world games.

Playing the RE2 remake reminded me of how enjoyable it is to play a more self-contained linear game. No filler. Everything in the game is designed with a purpose and focus and is streamlined.

But there's been so few of those games made by major studios this gen.

DOOM was a great example of that. One of the best games of this gen.

Now EVERYTHING has to be open world to some extent. They're even shoehorning that shyt into Gears and Halo :dead:

• Dap
Reactions: tgu

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
GTAV got boring to me quickly and the single player in it in retrospect was kinda ass. RDR2 single player is cool, but it's online mode aint that great.

Rockstar is A+++ with the technical part of creating a game, but the gameplay isn't the greatest. :yeshrug:

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I agree, GTA and RDR are Rockstars two flagships and they consistently deliver with them...

My point here is you cannot say the same for Bethesda and their two flagships...Elder Scrolls Online and Fallout 76 dealt two massive black eyes to Bethesda, the latter severely staining their reputation...One or two good games isn't going to fix that...

I also don't think its right to downplay the cultural significance of a franchise like Max Payne which Rockstar has been associated with since 2001...MP3 is one of the best TPS of all time and that was all Rockstar Games...

As of 2019 my rank in terms of consistency and relevance...

GTA
Elder Scrolls
RDR
Fallout
Max Payne
I'd go

GTA
RDR
Max Payne
Dishonored
Elder Scrolls
Fallout

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
No. I felt the Witcher is too hardcore with the RPG elements IMO. There’s a line and I think ES4 walked it perfectly. Skyrim catered to a more casual audience but still did the job well which is why it’s highly regarded. The Witcher’s good, probably a top 10 Free roam game maybe even top 5 but nobody thinks The Witcher straight off the bat other than the die hard hardcore fans when free roam games are the brought up.

A reboot including both games with a bigger map surrounding the main locations would be DOPE. But I’d like to see their attempt at another city though. Steel port was trash but they had the right idea.

Also I’m sure they could throw Dex into the mix. I think he’s down with ultor as far as I can remember, I remember roughly a cassette tape or cutscene talking about it. Like when you find the hidden secret and it gives you the mission to kill Julius

The witcher, ES, and Fallout are RPG games first, There is no real comparison to gta and red dead, Saints row comes close.. The reason I say that, is because GTA is about pure fun and story second, once you start forcing character upgrades and puzzles you are a RPG to me.. So yea GTA is the gold standard because everyone else is just using "open world" as a selling point, and alot of tem worlds be lifeless and boring..

However I think Bethesda gets alot of unfair hate, FO4 was amazing game, it was fun to play, the settlements system offered hours of random shyt to do and then they allowed the game to be super modable, that added years to its lifespan.. Yes 76 was hot garbage and I refused to pay to play ESO but they can make a better game than say the outer worlds, because FO4 had really good gameplay..

Child_Of_God

Love is a long road.
Daps
Reppin
Washington D.C.
...also RDR2 borrowed HEAVILY from BOTW but no one wants to admit it and will disingenuously respond that they both have horses and that’s it lol smh

No, they did not copy it. RDR 2 already deep in development way before BOTW was even announced.

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
The witcher, ES, and Fallout are RPG games first, There is no real comparison to gta and red dead, Saints row comes close.. The reason I say that, is because GTA is about pure fun and story second, once you start forcing character upgrades and puzzles you are a RPG to me.. So yea GTA is the gold standard because everyone else is just using "open world" as a selling point, and alot of tem worlds be lifeless and boring..

However I think Bethesda gets alot of unfair hate, FO4 was amazing game, it was fun to play, the settlements system offered hours of random shyt to do and then they allowed the game to be super modable, that added years to its lifespan.. Yes 76 was hot garbage and I refused to pay to play ESO but they can make a better game than say the outer worlds, because FO4 had really good gameplay..

The problem with Fallout 4 is the story/writing. The story felt unfinished and was lacking depth and content.

Rayzah

Daps
The problem with Fallout 4 is the story/writing. The story felt unfinished and was lacking depth and content.
it worked for me cause it was my first game in the series, I didnt like new vegas.. I even went back after playing over 100 hours of FO4 and still didnt like new vegas

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
it worked for me cause it was my first game in the series, I didnt like new vegas.. I even went back after playing over 100 hours of FO4 and still didnt like new vegas

The voiced protagonist is what hurt Fallout 4 the most. They should have kept the silent protagonist from Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.

Rayzah

Daps
The voiced protagonist is what hurt Fallout 4 the most. They should have kept the silent protagonist from Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.
I think they should have multiple voice options, but I dont mind a silent guy if they are just going to get a generic white guy

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
GTA V is the gold standard of Sandbox like Budweiser is the gold standard of beers. It’s extremely popular and sells better than everything else but is highly deficient...in GTA’s case it is highly deficient gameplay wise. shyt is so old and archaic...shooting sucks and is dull.
doesnt matter. there is still no other open world game that comes close. its that simple. until someone does it as good or better. its GTA whether you like those individual things(driving, shooting) doesnt matter. I know for a fact they could amp up the shooting to true shooter game levels, and ramp up the fighting to fighting game levels without the supers. shoot, they could allow you to go into that san andreas basketball arena(the forum) and play basketball as a my career my player like 2k. they could do all of that. and last but not least, they could make the entire world their sanbox. its doable. we know it is because MS flight simulator with MS bing maps has done this. imagine that. granted that would come with new complaints. "There's too much space and not enough to do in it."

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
doesnt matter. there is still no other open world game that comes close. its that simple. until someone does it as good or better. its GTA whether you like those individual things(driving, shooting) doesnt matter. I know for a fact they could amp up the shooting to true shooter game levels, and ramp up the fighting to fighting game levels without the supers. shoot, they could allow you to go into that san andreas basketball arena(the forum) and play basketball as a my career my player like 2k. they could do all of that. and last but not least, they could make the entire world their sanbox. its doable. we know it is because MS flight simulator with MS bing maps has done this. imagine that. granted that would come with new complaints. "There's too much space and not enough to do in it."

Many games are already better like Breath of the Wild so I don’t know what you are talking about. That’s why I used the Budweiser example, its the best in sales only.

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Many games are already better like Breath of the Wild so I don’t know what you are talking about. That’s why I used the Budweiser example, its the best in sales only.
no its not better. than both GTA and red dead. and i bet the map for those zelda games were smaller than these two.

size does matter. now again someone will say size doesnt matter if there is nothing to actually do in all that space. i only partially agree with this. it takes time to get from point A to point B. this gives you a since of space and time like real life. in addition, it gives you the feeling of a lull in the action which is a good thing so when the action ramps up you feel the climax. it also adds hours for you to complete the game. even though technically you cant complete gta 5 online nor can you complete red dead online.

Last edited: