why were people cool w/ robert downey jr playing a character in blackface? how was this possibly...

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
yo, are you white?

No. Are you black? Oh nah I already got the answer to that. You're not black you just play like you are on the internet.

So nah homie I'm not letting an Asian cat question me on racism towards a black man. Next time you want to start a thread about cultural appropriation, might want to start with the man in the mirror

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
No. Are you black? Oh nah I already got the answer to that. You're not black you just play like you are on the internet.

So nah homie I'm not letting an Asian cat question me on racism towards a black man. Next time you want to start a thread about cultural appropriation, might want to start with the man in the mirror
:ohhh: Wait?!! That bytch nikka @Yo Yo Ma is actually Asian?

Disgustya Stallone

Man Who Owns 2 Microwaves
Daps

oh but you idolize white ppl son?

Marty macfly?

oh word?

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
Because it's satire. It makes fun of both method acting and Hollywood whitewashing. Hollywood getting a white actor to play a black man, and said white actor then taking the role way too seriously is the entire joke.
this. great analysis.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
People in here defending blackface because it was "comedy" and "satire"... Was blackface not "comedy" and "satire" before?

Are you seriously comparing minstrel shows mocking black people to a satire that mocks Hollywood white washing?:why:

The only other time before Tropical Thunder that I remember a filmmaker using blackface for satirical purposes was Spike Lee with Bamboozled. Which again was a critique against Hollywood/entertainment culture.

Disgustya Stallone

Man Who Owns 2 Microwaves
Daps
Are you seriously comparing minstrel shows mocking black people to a satire that mocks Hollywood white washing?:why:

The only other time before Tropical Thunder that I remember a filmmaker using blackface for satirical purposes was Spike Lee with Bamboozled. Which again was a critique against Hollywood/entertainment culture.
was rdj not mocking black ppl throughout the movie?

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal