Why VR will fail.....

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm glad you agree I'm consistent then.
Like I said, I'm responding to the straw man arguments that keep coming up around PSVR2 and VR as an entertainment medium overall.

To respond to one specific point you made where you stated Sony needs unique software to make sure people don't walk passed it for a cheaper headset...
You're right...and those games exist right now. The issue is still cost of entry to be able to play those games that matter. Horizon definitely isn't the PSVR seller. 100% right on that as well. Resident Evil 8, No Man's Sky, Gran Turismo 7 are heavy hitters as full games. Even though the ports are ports...games like Moss are must haves for anyone that has a PSVR2. In a multi-verse where PSVR2 was priced at $200 it would be flying off the shelves and the platform would be getting pushed further than ever. Oculus headsets are sold out every holiday season for a reason. The demand and interest is there. VR as a platform isn't going away. PSVR2 could get completely discontinued at the end of this year and I would be saying the same thing. I was one of the first to hate on the platform before I tried it. I said a lot of the things people are still saying. But playing Resident Evil 7 in its entirety in VR completely changed my mind on VR.
Synopsis:
Meach and other Xbots/wannabe Xbots dismiss "VR" because Sony is in it-the thread.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I'm glad you agree I'm consistent then.
Like I said, I'm responding to the straw man arguments that keep coming up around PSVR2 and VR as an entertainment medium overall.

To respond to one specific point you made where you stated Sony needs unique software to make sure people don't walk passed it for a cheaper headset...
You're right...and those games exist right now. The issue is still cost of entry to be able to play those games that matter. Horizon definitely isn't the PSVR seller. 100% right on that as well. Resident Evil 8, No Man's Sky, Gran Turismo 7 are heavy hitters as full games. Even though the ports are ports...games like Moss are must haves for anyone that has a PSVR2. In a multi-verse where PSVR2 was priced at $200 it would be flying off the shelves and the platform would be getting pushed further than ever. Oculus headsets are sold out every holiday season for a reason. The demand and interest is there. VR as a platform isn't going away. PSVR2 could get completely discontinued at the end of this year and I would be saying the same thing. I was one of the first to hate on the platform before I tried it. I said a lot of the things people are still saying. But playing Resident Evil 7 in its entirety in VR completely changed my mind on VR.
They don’t exist tho. Horizon ain’t it. And it can’t be just a VR mode on a game that can be played on everything else. It needs to be a full fledged full budgeted TLOU game built only for and available on PSVR2 to really make it hit. Even half life didn’t move units like people thought it would.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
They don’t exist tho. Horizon ain’t it. And it can’t be just a VR mode on a game that can be played on everything else. It needs to be a full fledged full budgeted TLOU game built only for and available on PSVR2 to really make it hit. Even half life didn’t move units like people thought it would.
Yes and no...I'm not trying to split hairs. Honestly. I hear you. I agree with you.
It's just that Resident Evil 8, Gran Turismo, and No Man's Sky are full fledged full budgeted games. (And there are others already out and coming out).
The 100% exclusives do need to come. You're right. But making full VR versions of existing games is the best "happy medium" to get whatever traction they can.
They're having an impossible fight convincing people to even TRY VR. It makes sense to say "You know that game you already played and loved? Wouldn't it be dope if you could play that same game you love, but you're actually INSIDE that game???Come try this".

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Yes and no...I'm not trying to split hairs. Honestly. I hear you. I agree with you.
It's just that Resident Evil 8, Gran Turismo, and No Man's Sky are full fledged full budgeted games. (And there are others already out and coming out).
The 100% exclusives do need to come. You're right. But making full VR versions of existing games is the best "happy medium" to get whatever traction they can.
They're having an impossible fight convincing people to even TRY VR. It makes sense to say "You know that game you already played and loved? Wouldn't it be dope if you could play that same game you love, but you're actually INSIDE that game???Come try this".
But it’s been like a decade of this already. I guess anything is possible, but it’s not like we don’t have like a decade of results to look at.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
But it’s been like a decade of this already. I guess anything is possible, but it’s not like we don’t have like a decade of results to look at.
Valid skepticism. The games, the tech, the experience overall are getting better though.
I mean...I've always assumed we're in the same age group...you remember virtual boy? :russ:

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
I love VR as it currently stands but I only trust the Quest line as day one purchases. I will be a day one adopter of the Quest 3 because it is the platform for them. Everyone else halfsteps in VR in my opinion.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
TLDR: VR in its current form just needs AAA games and some non-gaming utility. Besides that, make Roblox fully VR compatible and the world will lose an entire generation of young kids to VR.

VR has two problems. One is its lack of AAA titles (There's only HL:Alyx, Flight Sim 2020, and GT 7). Two, VR lacks non-gaming utility for consumers. VR Chat as a social media app is pretty close. The complications to set it up isnt a real barrier to adoption. Wii U, Kinect, and Guitar Hero/Rock Band, proved that folks will move furniture to make space for something they want to play. In the mid 90s to early 2000s, setting up internet in homes was also complicated, yet everyone did it too. Regarding price, mass adoption creates lower prices, low prices don't create mass adoption. From VHS, DVD, to Smartphones, stupidly expensive products become smash hits that ultimately causes competition in the marketplace and thus lowers prices. I mean folks passed up free feature phones to pay $599 and get locked into an expensive 2 year cellular/data plan for the iPhone.

Roblox is a Metaverse. If it werent for the current age restrictions/recommendations for using VR, Roblox could release a headset and move VR to the mainstream. My kids play Roblox and its truly a second life for them. Despite my restrictions against them making virtual friends there, all of their real-life friends have accounts and they meet up in Roblox after school.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Damn this nikka meach can’t stop being right :damn:
Suffering-from-Success-official.jpg

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
The day we can play GTA (and similar games) and it be the same as it currently is just in VR format will be :wow:

Either that or Madden, 2K and other sports games

Would really be cool if we could go back and play older games(that’s available on PS Plus/XBL/Gamepass etc) in VR

Till then it’s gone be an uphill battle especially with that ridiculous price tag :unimpressed:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Years and years later and this is still a gimmick on it's Memphis Bleek grind still just one hit away.

Fans still have trouble accepting that VR just isn't a mass market product like that. It's an enthusiast product with a limited appeal. If companies like Facebook, Sony, and Valve can't make VR have it's breakthrough moment it's stuck where it's at for a reason.

VR is a case where the software can't outshine the gimmick.