Why VR will fail.....

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Pretend you don't understand analogies brehs.
I don’t think you understand much of anything :patrice:

You said Kinect only sold as much as it did because it was cheap, and it cashed in on the hype of the wii. Which i kinda agree with.

So i said the PSVR2 doesn’t have those things going for it. It’s expensive and there’s no hype to cash in on. So it probably won’t sell as much as kinect or even PSVR1

Then you started talking about PS5 vs Series S sales. :dahell:

I don’t know man, when sony stan’s get confused y’all always just yell “CONSOLE SALES” or “EXCLUSIVES” sometimes that shyt don’t work. You gotta dig a little deeper :wow:

Eza

King Shiit
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
It won't ever catch on 100% cause like buddy said who made that other thread on here not too long ago,(https://www.thecoli.com/threads/you-lazy-fat-fukks-are-holding-vr-back.951638/) most people are too LAZY and FAT for it.

nikkas wanna come home grab their 10$ tub of cheese puffs and load up COD; Us non-sedentary folk throw that headset on and go thru our rotation of games/apps that require you to actually be active.

Les Mills, AudioShield Excercise Mode, Thrill Of The Fight, Knockout League training mode, Pistol Whip, X-Fitness, Powerbeats >>>

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It won't ever catch on 100% cause like buddy said who made that other thread on here not too long ago,(https://www.thecoli.com/threads/you-lazy-fat-fukks-are-holding-vr-back.951638/) most people are too LAZY and FAT for it.

nikkas wanna come home grab their 10$ tub of cheese puffs and load up COD; Us non-sedentary folk throw that headset on and go thru our rotation of games/apps that require you to actually be active.

Les Mills, AudioShield Excercise Mode, Thrill Of The Fight, Knockout League training mode, Pistol Whip, X-Fitness, Powerbeats >>>
What if i went to the gym first and just wanna relax when i get home?

What makes y’all think people wanna run around in their own damn house? :dahell:

You supposed to go outside with that shyt:camby:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
:beli:

Come on man.. Why are you going to sit there and tell a blatant lie like that. I’ve seen you post outside the arcadium, you can be a good poster when you want to.

PSVR2 released with 3 exclusives and has at least 2 more coming before the summer That’s pretty damn good for any console launch.

Maybe, what’s the rush? VR is still in it’s infancy, we’re only just now getting a standardized control scheme.

7 years later and devs are still building for this medium. There’s obviously some value they’re getting out of it.

Several more than any xbox launch, for sure.:sas2:

Eza

King Shiit
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
What if i went to the gym first and just wanna relax when i get home?

What makes y’all think people wanna run around in their own damn house? :dahell:

You supposed to go outside with that shyt:camby:

Then it just ain't for you bruh..

I don't get why nikkas want shyt to fail just cause THEY not into it lol.. ignore the shyt and keep it pushin playa

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

I don't get why nikkas want shyt to fail just cause THEY not into it lol.. ignore the shyt and keep it pushin playa

Cause the platform they’re on doesn’t offer it, why else :sas1:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

I don’t “want” anything to fail.

This is a discussion forum. We discuss things. This thread was made back when VR was trying to make a major push. I’m not the one that keeps upping the thread :mjpls:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
:aicmon:Let me try to unpack this...because this particular topic of VR consistently becomes an argument of distinctly separate points that seemingly get conflated by stans and people who haven't even tried the platform in its best form for themselves.

It was cool for jumping around with the kids, but i wouldn’t expect to use it for a “Hardcore” gaming experience.
Kinect keeps getting brought up because Meach, and other xbox stans, have dismissed PSVR as something they claim Xbox already did with the Kinect.
2 COMPLETELY different platforms and experiences but stans gotta stan so this is a straw they grasp at. Admittedly, Kinect isn't for a "hardcore gaming experience". While the bulk of software for VR is experiential, VR (in general) already offers hard core gaming experiences across a bunch of games. I could list them, but then the conversation becomes more subjective with who likes what game for whatever reasons.

More VR shyt has been shut down/scaled back than the other way around especially when it comes to gaming. Seems like PSVR2 is probably VRs last big chance to take hold in gaming, and it’s prohibitively expensive and has no unique software.

Y’all said this same exact thing verbatim 7 years ago.

Guess we gotta wait another 7 to find out :stopitslime:

You come on. Horizon ain’t enough to push a whole $600 platform.

Correction 99% of the games on and coming to PSVR are not unique to the platform.

A niche product can be financially viable for some developers. But again more people have canceled or scaled back VR plans than the other way around in the last 7 years.
This is where the conversation always gets derailed from what starts as an objective discussion and becomes disingenuous.
The (faux) "unbiased" response is that VR "has no unique software". Then, when challenged, the stan truth is revealed "99% of the games on and coming to PSVR are not unique to the platform".

Interesting that:
1. Apparently....an xbot is now stating that platform exclusives are what move the needle.
2. It's clear that since PSVR2 is what is currently getting the most widespread attention, the attack is on PSVR specifically but with sub-critiques of VR as a platform overall to try and add some unbiased credibility to the talking point.

Allllll that aside...my broken record is that this PSVR/VR topic is consistently being approached from all the wrong angles.
There's an objective discussion to be had here that keeps getting fogged by people who have never used the platform.
I've been on record saying PSVR will likely be abandoned by Sony in terms of meaningful support within 2 - 3 years.
The video game console space is the space of lowest prices possible to the consumer as well as the ease of use.
$550 for a PSVR on top of the $500 for the console blows this platform completely out of the realm of possibility for the vast majority of gamers.
Putting on a headset and plugging in one cable is nothing...but I agree that it is a "friction point" in the experience of gaming overall, similar to those who no longer want to pop a disc into their console; minor complaints, but "friction points".

We also need to stop this "no one wants to wear a headset" and "no one wants to be disconnected from the outside world".
Ever heard of the term "man cave"? The entire concept of being completely removed from the outside world isn't new.
First person shooters, an entire genre built on a perspective that allows gamers to "feel like they're in the game".
VR as a platform isn't going to replace your TV. It doesn't have to and it isn't trying to. They serve completely different purposes. The platform exists for those that HAVE ACTUALLY TRIED IT OUT and understand the experience and therefore appreciate and WANT to have moments where they can be disconnected from the world and be transported to other worlds virtually. "It's always going to be niche" isn't even the diss you would like it to be. No one is making the claim that this is going to take out xbox or anything of the sort. It's just an exciting peripheral that offers experiences you CANNOT find on ANY other platform.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Interesting that:
1. Apparently....an xbot is now stating that platform exclusives are what move the needle.
2. It's clear that since PSVR2 is what is currently getting the most widespread attention, the attack is on PSVR specifically but with sub-critiques of VR as a platform overall to try and add some unbiased credibility to the talking point.

:eat:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
:aicmon:Let me try to unpack this...because this particular topic of VR consistently becomes an argument of distinctly separate points that seemingly get conflated by stans and people who haven't even tried the platform in its best form for themselves.

Kinect keeps getting brought up because Meach, and other xbox stans, have dismissed PSVR as something they claim Xbox already did with the Kinect.
2 COMPLETELY different platforms and experiences but stans gotta stan so this is a straw they grasp at. Admittedly, Kinect isn't for a "hardcore gaming experience". While the bulk of software for VR is experiential, VR (in general) already offers hard core gaming experiences across a bunch of games. I could list them, but then the conversation becomes more subjective with who likes what game for whatever reasons.
Some “hardcore” games had kinect support. Same as some “hardcore” games have VR support. But ultimately people don’t want to use their neck as a thumbsick and have to literally do the reload motion thousands of times to make it through a game. It starts off as a cool novelty but once that wears off people want to play games the way they always have. Resident Evil, Skyrim, Racing games, Etc have been available in VR for a long time, still most people want to play them the regular way
This is where the conversation always gets derailed from what starts as a subjective discussion and becomes disingenuous.
The (faux) "unbiased" response is that VR "has no unique software". Then, when challenged, the stan truth is revealed "99% of the games on and coming to PSVR are not unique to the platform".

Interesting that:
1. I specifically said PSVR2 is expensive and doesn’t offer unique software (outside of a few PS5 ports) in comparison to the VR machine that costs $800 less.

No the PSVR2 doesn’t NEED unique software to succeed but it damn sure needs something to make people walk passed the cheaper more convenient and versatile hardware to pay a bunch of extra money. Horizon ain’t it :francis:
2. This thread was made well before PSVR even came out. Again i’m not the one that keeps upping the thread. The thread is a critique of VR period. The ongoing conversation has become about PSVR because sony stan’s are the last ones still in denial about where VR is heading.

Allllll that aside...my broken record is that this PSVR/VR topic is consistently being approached from all the wrong angles.
There's an objective discussion to be had here that keeps getting fogged by people who have never used the platform.
I've been on record saying PSVR will likely be abandoned by Sony in terms of meaningful support within 2 - 3 years.
The video game console space is the space of lowest prices possible to the consumer as well as the ease of use.
$550 for a PSVR on top of the $500 for the console blows this platform completely out of the realm of possibility for the vast majority of gamers.
Putting on a headset and plugging in one cable is nothing...but I agree that it is a "friction point" in the experience of gaming overall, similar to those who no longer want to pop a disc into their console; minor complaints, but "friction points".

We also need to stop this "no one wants to wear a headset" and "no one wants to be disconnected from the outside world".
Ever heard of the term "man cave"? The entire concept of being completely removed from the outside world isn't new.
First person shooters, an entire genre built on a perspective that allows gamers to "feel like they're in the game".
VR as a platform isn't going to replace your TV. It doesn't have to and it isn't trying to. They serve completely different purposes. The platform exists for those that HAVE ACTUALLY TRIED IT OUT and understand the experience and therefore appreciate and WANT to have moments where they can be disconnected from the world and be transported to other worlds virtually. "It's always going to be niche" isn't even the diss you would like it to be. No one is making the claim that this is going to take out xbox or anything of the sort. It's just an exciting peripheral that offers experiences you CANNOT find on ANY other platform.
Breh. You said all this same shyt like 8 years ago.
R.b63e0271e6f2f0c0b818e4fb5dd3580c

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Some “hardcore” games had kinect support. Same as some “hardcore” games have VR support. But ultimately people don’t want to use their neck as a thumbsick and have to literally do the reload motion thousands of times to make it through a game. It starts off as a cool novelty but once that wears off people want to play games the way they always have. Resident Evil, Skyrim, Racing games, Etc have been available in VR for a long time, still most people want to play them the regular way

1. I specifically said PSVR2 is expensive and doesn’t offer unique software (outside of a few PS5 ports) in comparison to the VR machine that costs $800 less.

No the PSVR2 doesn’t NEED unique software to succeed but it damn sure needs something to make people walk passed the cheaper more convenient and versatile hardware to pay a bunch of extra money. Horizon ain’t it :francis:
2. This thread was made well before PSVR even came out. Again i’m not the one that keeps upping the thread. The thread is a critique of VR period. The ongoing conversation has become about PSVR because sony stan’s are the last ones still in denial about where VR is heading.

Breh. You said all this same shyt like 8 years ago.
R.b63e0271e6f2f0c0b818e4fb5dd3580c
I'm glad you agree I'm consistent then.
Like I said, I'm responding to the straw man arguments that keep coming up around PSVR2 and VR as an entertainment medium overall.

To respond to one specific point you made where you stated Sony needs unique software to make sure people don't walk passed it for a cheaper headset...
You're right...and those games exist right now. The issue is still cost of entry to be able to play those games that matter. Horizon definitely isn't the PSVR seller. 100% right on that as well. Resident Evil 8, No Man's Sky, Gran Turismo 7 are heavy hitters as full games. Even though the ports are ports...games like Moss are must haves for anyone that has a PSVR2. In a multi-verse where PSVR2 was priced at $200 it would be flying off the shelves and the platform would be getting pushed further than ever. Oculus headsets are sold out every holiday season for a reason. The demand and interest is there. VR as a platform isn't going away. PSVR2 could get completely discontinued at the end of this year and I would be saying the same thing. I was one of the first to hate on the platform before I tried it. I said a lot of the things people are still saying. But playing Resident Evil 7 in its entirety in VR completely changed my mind on VR.