Why VR will fail.....

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
VR is never going to work when it cost more than the actual system itself. The only way VR will sell a lot of units is if it's at an affordable price and has interesting software.

More the price than software.

It's a truly niche product. It can be profitable as long as you have realistic expectations, but it's going to take at least another decade minimum IMO to become mainstream.

Honestly, the helmet isn't the move either. Google had the right idea with glasses. It's going to take something on that level.

BBG

Superstar
Daps
shyt I sang high praises about this thing when I first got it in December. Ain't used it since February. As others have said the main thing is the software. shyt has almost ZERO full complete games. Resident Evil 4 is a beautiful experience in VR, easily 10/10 VR experiences we have available currently. What other games though? Like dude said the shyt is a workout machine which is cool but I got it to play games..

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Simplest explanation to me is that a VR, meta world already exists: it's called social media and the phone. People are already able to log into a device to become someone they aren't, live vicariously through an avatar, travel, play games, have sex, and have pleasurable experiences that are largely disconnected from their real life. They are also able to do it without wearing ugly, clunky head gear.

I don't think there will be any real advancement in VR adoption until they figure out how to implement it into daily life more effectively than the phone currently is. That means no headsets. It also means seeing VR things in your everyday life. Something like Pokemon Go, but you actually see it. That tech is probably a long ways out so all of these current devices are going to fail.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
One reason could be that VR hasn’t gotten past its gimmick. It’s like with motion controls the software never evolved to be compelling beyond its gimmick so when the novelty of that wears off you’re left without much to hold your interest.

At some point for VR to take off devs will have to create a game that could stand on its own. Not some mode for a game that already exist but a new game that just happens to be VR but demands people play it for more that just that reason.

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
The tech is not there and the games are not there. I have a Quest 2 and Quest Pro (got them free with my old company) and a PSVR 2. I end up only playing a few games on it because wearing the headset gets uncomfortable too quickly. Half Life Alyx was really good though. If there were more games like that, more people would be playing them. Vertigo 2 is on my play list, and I'll should be playing that in a game or two, but really not much else super excites me. The resolution and FOV need to be better as well as making the headsets less clunky. Moving away from needing to place cameras in your play space was a great advancement though. The Valve Index never interested me because it needed external cameras. It has a wider FOV than the Quest, but external cameras are a no go.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A certain group of folks some would call "bots" tried to tell yall it ain't VR's time yet. :manny:

Currently if you are into VR it has to be something that you personally just really really enjoy and have the income for.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
There use to a be term called the "Killer App". VR is in desperate need on one. Even Apple failed to show it for their VR headset. AR had it's killer app though, and it was Pokémon Go! Unfortunately no AR headsets can be used to play it, yet.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
More the price than software.

It's a truly niche product. It can be profitable as long as you have realistic expectations, but it's going to take at least another decade minimum IMO to become mainstream.

Honestly, the helmet isn't the move either. Google had the right idea with glasses. It's going to take something on that level.
Yeah the current form factor of it is awful. You're right that Google was onto something with the glasses. I think 10-20 years it could be a viable platform once they can move away from helmets and have software worth getting. On the software side I can't really think of many must play VR games except Resident Evil games and Half Life Alyx.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem

New Hardware? i never had a problem with the hardware, my problem is i exhausted the catalog's of fun games and stuff to do with it in a single weekend.
They got some game you can beat in 3 hours. its a software problem, not a hardware one.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
New Hardware? i never had a problem with the hardware, my problem is i exhausted the catalog's of fun games and stuff to do with it in a single weekend.
They got some game you can beat in 3 hours. its a software problem, not a hardware one.
No one will invest big money in software because there’s not enough VR users to justify a huge investment.

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
VR is never going to work when it cost more than the actual system itself. The only way VR will sell a lot of units is if it's at an affordable price and has interesting software.
When it get to the point you can play games like GTA, Red Dead, etc from a first person perspective that’s gone be :leon:

Or sports games like Madden and 2K NBA and WWE :banderas:

But we far away from that

Would really be wild if u can eventually do it for old games or at least certain PS4 and maybe PS3 games

Last edited: