Why The US Has No High-Speed Rail

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
bolded in red is the truth and the answer :manny:

When I was in London and Paris we got around effortlessly in the subway and then the high speed train between cities. Seemed like both Paris and London you were always a block at most away from a subway station :banderas:

you legit need a car almost everywhere in this shyt hole country save for cities like NYC and SF

Yeah Paris has one of the most dense networks. You're never more than a kilometer away from a metro station, and then you also have buses all over the place and tramways in certain areas. Obviously Parisians still complain about it all the time lol but public transportation is very reliable and convenient in Paris, strictly talking within the city. You realize that when you compare it to other Euro cities. Naples and Marseille might be the worst I've seen yet, you might get where you need to be quicker by foot :francis:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Last time I was in North America I took the train from Montreal to NY...took the whole day lmao. I looked up the distance, it's similar to Paris-Marseille, which is about 3h with the high speed train.
I looked at that option and couldn’t understand why anyone would opt for that over the 90 min flight

Daps
U.S. is a big, but not so dense country.

Germany = 138k square miles and 83 million people

Texas = 267k square miles and 29 million people.

....and Texas is the 2nd most populous state.

Obviously big oil and the airline lobby get in the way but so much of America is relatively empty. It will work in the big population centers but our culture is based on having abundance and being able to do "whatever" since we have wide open spaces.

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
U.S. is a big, but not so dense country.

Germany = 138k square miles and 83 million people

Texas = 267k square miles and 29 million people.

....and Texas is the 2nd most populous state.

Obviously big oil and the airline lobby get in the way but so much of America is relatively empty. It will work in the big population centers but our culture is based on having abundance and being able to do "whatever" since we have wide open spaces.
That's why it only will work in certain regions such as the Texas triangle. But you really have to live in the cities just to get on these trains. Density absolutely matters like you said. The Texas triangle is only 60k sq miles with only 21 million people. Still sparse.

King

The black man is always targeted.
Bushed
Daps
Yea I understand that we've become a car culture but the US is sooo behind the world when it comes to our transit system :snoop:

EaK1nBFWoAAeeA9.0.jpeg

810_US_HSR_Phasing_Map.gif
That shyt would be a legit game changer the economy would literally transform in ways unimaginable:wow:

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
America is such a shythole country, guys.

The only reason "OMG I need a car" is so ingrained is because very few Americans have the opportunity to have the amazing experience of not needing one. An extensive, robust public transit system would butterfly effect and solve so many of this country's out-of-control problems, all the way down to our poor health. Highway infrastructure would last decades longer with fewer cars on the road during commutes, a car breakdown wouldn't devastate a lower income family like it does now, walking every day to and from bus stops would do wonders for the fat fukks of this country...

One of my co-workers overseas lived a three hour car ride away, but it only took her thirty minutes to get to the city by bullet train...

@Booksnrain get in here.

One of the reasons rural parts of Japan haven't completely died out yet is because regular and bullet trains allow easy access not just for people to live and/or commute and/or retire, but also for touristy stuff to happen. During the summer, the rural parts of the country explode with tourists attending festivals that are accessible because of the robust rail system.

I haven't needed a car in nine years and part of the reason I hate that I moved back to the US is that it looks like I'll need to be at least somewhat dependent on one soon.

It would actually even out the housing markets. Plus, if many of the industries that held back high-speed rail systems across the country hadn't done so, the shutdowns wouldn't have hit big cities as hard as they did. You've have people living further out, but taking the train into the city on weekends, for example, instead of not coming back into the city at all.

You tell someone you got an invention that connects suburbs to major cities. Would make 6 hour car rides 40 minutes and everyone is taking that invention, except shytty America. The one fukking country that actually needs it.