Why The US Has No High-Speed Rail

sosayeth

All Star
Daps
It's because it will compete with airlines.. It's crazy how much companies control shyt.

And, because this is America, the airlines are too stupid to become shareholders of the high-speed rail systems.

With a bullet train you could go from one side of the country to the other in about 6-10 hours, fukk would I take a plane for?! Much more safe on the ground too.

It would take an entire day to go from LA to NYC by Maglev.

the USA is decades behind china in transportation due to greed and lobbying

China is light yrs ahead of the USA due to their commitment to their people and country rather than profits

This is the main issue. Every single politician in America needs to be drug out to a......... and then.........

The reason why the California High-Speed Rail flopped is because everyone involved - regardless of political affiliation - is a corrupt piece of shyt. It's not about the project, doing it well and getting it complete in a certain timeframe. It's all about how many friends, unions, politicians, etc. etc. can get their hands in the pot and siphon out as much money as they can.

sosayeth

All Star
Daps
America is such a shythole country, guys.

The only reason "OMG I need a car" is so ingrained is because very few Americans have the opportunity to have the amazing experience of not needing one. An extensive, robust public transit system would butterfly effect and solve so many of this country's out-of-control problems, all the way down to our poor health. Highway infrastructure would last decades longer with fewer cars on the road during commutes, a car breakdown wouldn't devastate a lower income family like it does now, walking every day to and from bus stops would do wonders for the fat fukks of this country...

One of my co-workers overseas lived a three hour car ride away, but it only took her thirty minutes to get to the city by bullet train...

@Booksnrain get in here.

I would pay to sit on a train and ride around the country for fun.

This country is perpetually some bullshyt :beli:

One of the reasons rural parts of Japan haven't completely died out yet is because regular and bullet trains allow easy access not just for people to live and/or commute and/or retire, but also for touristy stuff to happen. During the summer, the rural parts of the country explode with tourists attending festivals that are accessible because of the robust rail system.

I haven't needed a car in nine years and part of the reason I hate that I moved back to the US is that it looks like I'll need to be at least somewhat dependent on one soon.

Also will completely fukk up the housing markets. Less people moving to big cities.

It would actually even out the housing markets. Plus, if many of the industries that held back high-speed rail systems across the country hadn't done so, the shutdowns wouldn't have hit big cities as hard as they did. You've have people living further out, but taking the train into the city on weekends, for example, instead of not coming back into the city at all.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
The only reason "OMG I need a car" is so ingrained is because very few Americans have the opportunity to have the amazing experience of not needing one. An extensive, robust public transit system would butterfly effect and solve so many of this country's out-of-control problems, all the way down to our poor health. Highway infrastructure would last decades longer with fewer cars on the road during commutes, a car breakdown wouldn't devastate a lower income family like it does now, walking every day to and from bus stops would do wonders for the fat fukks of this country...

One of my co-workers overseas lived a three hour car ride away, but it only took her thirty minutes to get to the city by bullet train...
I did a trip with some of my boys to Germany right before COVID. BRUH. It was just stupid how easy it was to rely on public transit to get around especially in Berlin. Buses/trains came very frequent on the DOT, not too expensive, and very reliable. all you needed was google maps and you were gucci the whole time to figure out times and what lines to be on. So even though a lot of people own cars in Germany, they still use public transit hell of a lot. Same deal for Zurich. Public transit system was flawless. some locals were telling me it was nothing to see the Swiss president or some of the parliament members catching the bus on any given day. When you make a conscious effort to build out a solid public transit network, it just works. I'm not sure what had to happen politically for things to get that smooth but damn I came back home smh saying America could take a lot of notes.

@TENET aint you in Deutschland?

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
I did a trip with some of my boys to Germany right before COVID. BRUH. It was just stupid how easy it was to rely on public transit to get around especially in Berlin. Buses/trains came very frequent on the DOT, not too expensive, and very reliable. all you needed was google maps and you were gucci the whole time to figure out times and what lines to be on. So even though a lot of people own cars in Germany, they still use public transit hell of a lot. Same deal for Zurich. Public transit system was flawless. some locals were telling me it was nothing to see the Swiss president or some of the parliament members catching the bus on any given day. When you make a conscious effort to build out a solid public transit network, it just works. I'm not sure what had to happen politically for things to get that smooth but damn I came back home smh saying America could take a lot of notes.

@TENET aint you in Deutschland?

I was and I should be going back again soon (covid permitting).

I am in London now.

I am not the biggest fan of some elements of german society BUT when it comes to how to organize societal infrastructure, they are light years ahead of the UK and also ahead of the USA.

In Germany it is not always about making as much money as possible. People actually take personal pride in providing quality and value for money.

"Work Makes You Free" as the saying goes...

But saying that the economy in Germany is getting steadily worse (for the middle-class in particular) and money-first profiteering / anglo-saxon norms are creeping in.

People are not as honest as they used to be in my experience but they are still nowhere as dodgy as slippery brits.

The biggest problems in Germany are rigidity and
full

@karim is in Germany I think.

sfgiants

BANNED
Daps
Reppin
NULL
America is such a shythole country, guys.

@Booksnrain get in here.

One of the reasons rural parts of Japan haven't completely died out yet is because regular and bullet trains allow easy access not just for people to live and/or commute and/or retire, but also for touristy stuff to happen. During the summer, the rural parts of the country explode with tourists attending festivals that are accessible because of the robust rail system.

I haven't needed a car in nine years and part of the reason I hate that I moved back to the US is that it looks like I'll need to be at least somewhat dependent on one soon.

It would actually even out the housing markets. Plus, if many of the industries that held back high-speed rail systems across the country hadn't done so, the shutdowns wouldn't have hit big cities as hard as they did. You've have people living further out, but taking the train into the city on weekends, for example, instead of not coming back into the city at all.

bolded in red is the truth and the answer :manny:

When I was in London and Paris we got around effortlessly in the subway and then the high speed train between cities. Seemed like both Paris and London you were always a block at most away from a subway station :banderas:

you legit need a car almost everywhere in this shyt hole country save for cities like NYC and SF

sosayeth

All Star
Daps
bolded in red is the truth and the answer :manny:

When I was in London and Paris we got around effortlessly in the subway and then the high speed train between cities. Seemed like both Paris and London you were always a block at most away from a subway station :banderas:

you legit need a car almost everywhere in this shyt hole country save for cities like NYC and SF

Even metro areas buying just a few hundred buses would completely transform the lives of their citizens for the better.
But, buses are cheap to build, cheap to buy and cheap to operate, so there's no incentive for the cockroach politicians in all positions throughout this country to implement networks anywhere.
With the exception of Phoenix's mayor Kate Gallego. I applaud her for putting such a heavy emphasis on public transportation.

About a decade ago, Nashville decided they were going to revamp their public transportation system. Great! Smart! Ahead of the curve!
...spoken too soon. The biggest problem with traffic and transit all across America are commuters piling into the city from an hour, forty-five minutes, an hour and a half, etc. away. What was the City of Nashville's bright solution to solve this problem?

Funnel millions of dollars into a fukking monorail/street car system. The citizens of the Metro Nashville area rightfully blocked this retarded proposal.
It's always - always about contractors, friends, unions, politicians, lobbyists, etc. etc. having a way they can suck money out of the pot for themselves. Once again, the major problem in US metro cities is people coming from out to in. You don't solve that by building an intracity monorail system. :heh: Retards. However... Tearing up streets to install the equipment for a street car network requires lots of $$$. Lots more $$$ than buying and operating highway buses. Way more $$$ than buying and operating city buses.

Rinse, repeat for metro areas across the rest of the country.

Last edited: