Why the fukk are the Dark Souls games so addicting?

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
It's basically an old school Nintendo game wrapped up in 3D graphics, it's incredibly difficult but it never feels unfair. It's a very difficult balance it manages to achieve.

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
Beat bloodborne last night. So now I've beaten Sekiro, Bloodborne and Nioh. It's really hard to say I've beaten them when the soulsborne games have multiple endings and end game bosses, and I'm not about to beat a hard ass game 3 times to get a platinum. I fought Gehrman and found out I have to eat 3 umbilical cords to fight the moon monster to get that ending :stopitslime:. That's one thing I hate about soulsborne. I also fought Isshin the sword saint and now have to go through the whole thing again to get the father owl/Butterfly/isshin ending smh. Not doing that shyt. Or not right now I'm not.

TobiOT

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
East London
Finally beat Ludwig, but for the first time I used an online summon cause I wasn't in the mode to stress myself out but the research room area of the DLC is those enemies are :picard:

Beat bloodborne last night. So now I've beaten Sekiro, Bloodborne and Nioh. It's really hard to say I've beaten them when the soulsborne games have multiple endings and end game bosses, and I'm not about to beat a hard ass game 3 times to get a platinum. I fought Gehrman and found out I have to eat 3 umbilical cords to fight the moon monster to get that ending :stopitslime:. That's one thing I hate about soulsborne. I also fought Isshin the sword saint and now have to go through the whole thing again to get the father owl/Butterfly/isshin ending smh. Not doing that shyt. Or not right now I'm not.
Got 2 out of the 3 endings, but I had overwritten the back up save on my USB:snoop:

I'm close to getting the platinum for this so :yeshrug:

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
Finally beat Ludwig, but for the first time I used an online summon cause I wasn't in the mode to stress myself out but the research room area of the DLC is those enemies are :picard:

Got 2 out of the 3 endings, but I had overwritten the back up save on my USB:snoop:

I'm close to getting the platinum for this so :yeshrug:
I still have to get the dlc

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I can't wrap my head around it.

This quarantine got me playing Dark Souls 2/3 all over again and it's as addicting as I remember it. I beat the games when they were released and mainly played with strength builds. But now i'm playing it differently using more of a sorcerer and playing with different builds and I just don't remember it being this fun.

In its core gameplay, it's just mash r1, r1, r1 and dodge or put up shields and there is little to no story besides reading each individual item description, but god dammit is it fun.

I got a huge backlog of games that I need to play but yet Dark souls still calls for me. I might even go back to playing DS1 remastered.
FromSoftware ruined video games for me.

I stumbled upon DS2 then copped Bloodborne and Sekiro and just recently bought DS remastered for Switch which I’ve never played.

World, story, gameplay and difficulty put these games on a pedestal that no other games have been able to touch IMO. I still love Nintendo’s catalog but these games have really asserted themselves as the only serious/intensive games that I want to put time in with.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
FromSoftware ruined video games for me.

I stumbled upon DS2 then copped Bloodborne and Sekiro and just recently bought DS remastered for Switch which I’ve never played.

World, story, gameplay and difficulty put these games on a pedestal that no other games have been able to touch IMO. I still love Nintendo’s catalog but these games have really asserted themselves as the only serious/intensive games that I want to put time in with.

Elden Ring gonna crush buildings one of these days :wow:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
miyazaki pretty much created an entirely new game genre in an age where literally everything is cut and paste of another open world or fps system. Thats pretty hard to do.

combine RPG, customizability, and stat mechanics with something that is actually challenging and rewards you for exploration and taking risks? I mean...it/s gold
\
i wish darksouls games came out at the rate of assassins creed games, i'd buy them every year.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
It's the combat that makes me come back to these games every time. Barring DS2 and demon's souls, they got the combat down to an art. Everything from attacking to rolling/dodging feels amazing. It's the reason I ignore most souls-like games, because they often fall short when it comes to gameplay, barring maybe nioh.

:mjlol: Who would have thought you could pioneer a style of gameplay by making it clunker, sluggish, and delayed, and poor hit detection.

Last edited: