Why The FUCC Is It SO Hard To Get Hired? (Have Any Of Yall Had This Problem?)

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
I always said DO NOT go to college for anything that is not STEM related AND if you do understand that NOBODY OWES YOU A DAMN THING just because you went to college. Our society needs Liberal Arts majors, yes, but those people must realize their areas are not in demand so dont blame nobody but yourself for incurring a butt load of debt for a career that doesn't exist. I always said if you want to do all that extra ish that isn't in demand, get a skilled trade to at least put food on the table and help fund your education and go after your passion on the side, its not easy but unless you are a rich kid, you and your parents are damn fools sending you to college to major in some nonsense and incur debt.

It starts at the high school level. Most public schools don't prepare people for the current society or job market. By the time a kid has to pick a major they're lost. Not to mention they don't understand the concept of competition.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
It starts at the high school level. Most public schools don't prepare people for the current society or job market. By the time a kid has to pick a major they're lost. Not to mention they don't understand the concept of competition.
of course, especially if you go to school in the hood. While fam I knew at good schools had all the top universities at their college fairs my school only had 1 hbcu, the army, and the community college across the street come recruit at our school. I was blessed to have an old mind and think long term but many folks are not as fortunate on top of having family members who are ignorant to how to get a job/create your own because they have never even gone to college nor accomplished anything in life other than being an hourly employee for their whole life. Lotta dudes end up going to college to make their fam proud and not look like a looser when their parents aren't going to be in the class room with them, their parents aren't going to pay for schooling, and parents lack the knowledge to help them with college/corporate related obstacles. By the time the avg person finds themselves and sees how stuff really is they are usually a junior or senior/been in school for 3+ years and by then it is too late to drop out or switch majors.

People are selling their kids dreams as if times are like how they were in the 70s where nobody was going to college so if you had a degree you were money. you have kids going to college for Mass Comm thinking they will be the next radio jockey when you got cats like Tom Joyner who have been in the same role for 30+ years AND radio stations are cutting back on local shows so you have one dude with a morning show that airs in every state cutting down the need for new host to break in the industry.

Daps
Reppin
VOID
:stopitslime:
Prob cause u just graduated two weeks ago fool :dahell:
This.

Guarantee if you keep applying you'll find something though soon enough. The market with the Internet has dozens if not hundreds of applicants looking and fighting for the same job. Don't get discouraged I felt the same way @JudgeJoeGorilla did for a while after college

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
:stopitslime:

This.

Guarantee if you keep applying you'll find something though soon enough. The market with the Internet has dozens if not hundreds of applicants looking and fighting for the same job. Don't get discouraged I felt the same way @JudgeJoeGorilla did for a while after college

And in this day in age it takes about 4-6 months to find a job, thats why I always advise cats their 1st semester of senior yr go ham on job apps, so 2nd semester is spent interviewing and by the last month you have a few offers on the table.

LurkMoar

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Listen, I just finished college two weeks ago. Starting tomorrow I'm going job hunting again, so I won't be posting as much. Anyway, why is it so hard to get employed. Real talk, I filled out over 40 job applications and went to places personally and still CAN'T get hired. I never had work experience because I always focused on my studies. Have anyone else had a similar issue?

Your Black :stopitslime:

welcome to america :yeshrug:

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism

and I don't even have the degree just the credits for a cert class :mjcry: Listen, I'm just trying to do what I can. I wanna get a shoe in, then get a good job. Keep that career job for five years and leave the States. This shyt literally worries the hell outta me.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

The issue isn't being black, Companies have diversity quotas you they gotta hit, the issue is being black and "woke". In corporate America you dont have to "c00n" you just have to "play dumb", there are code words you gotta use so you aren't selling yourself out but you def aren't coming off as militant. Thats why during the interview you have to come off as a "New Black", you gotta come off as the dude who can be their Black Friend where they can talk sports no problem but when racist stuff happens on the news you won't be on that :demonic: time. Companies in general would rather higher the guy they think they could be golf buddies with more so than the smartest dude in the applicant pool, this is why lotta blacks get passed over (outside of being black of course), we think our hardwork and stuff will get us a job, heck no, your skills is what will get you up the ladder, but making companies think you are "safe" is what gets you in. Like I said the key though is understand code so you aren't out here c00ning.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
and I don't even have the degree just the credits for a cert class :mjcry: Listen, I'm just trying to do what I can. I wanna get a shoe in, then get a good job. Keep that career job for five years and leave the States. This shyt literally worries the hell outta me.

to be real, you might as well skip all that and just become an English teacher over seas.

SirReginald

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
to be real, you might as well skip all that and just become an English teacher over seas.
I gotta pay for a cert in that too. That's like 1,000 bucks for a TEFL cert. I'll just try to stick into getting into IT. My main goal is starting my own small business anyway.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I gotta pay for a cert in that too. That's like 1,000 bucks for a TEFL cert. I'll just try to stick into getting into IT. My main goal is starting my own small business anyway.

Bruh, you aren't gonna get more than a 9-10 dollar an hour job doing Help Desk with just certs, this aint 1994 where all you need is a HS diploma and certs because 80% of people dont even know what a computer is. You're better off getting the 1k cert and getting a job NOW that you can use to stack your bread and start a business, ESPECIALLY being over seas you will be able to find suppliers, make connects, etc.

I know you want someone to give you a sense a hope but your not gonna get a job with just a HS diploma a crappy A+ cert and no experience, you're better off going to a State School online and getting a degree which will qualify you for New Grad Programs where companies will pay you and get you the experience you need.

SirReginald

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Bruh, you aren't gonna get more than a 9-10 dollar an hour job doing Help Desk with just certs, this aint 1994 where all you need is a HS diploma and certs because 80% of people dont even know what a computer is. You're better off getting the 1k cert and getting a job NOW that you can use to stack your bread and start a business, ESPECIALLY being over seas you will be able to find suppliers, make connects, etc.

I know you want someone to give you a sense a hope but your not gonna get a job with just a HS diploma a crappy A+ cert and no experience, you're better off going to a State School online and getting a degree which will qualify you for New Grad Programs where companies will pay you and get you the experience you need.
True

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

I Mean that respectfully too. It takes money to make money. State schools are "cheap", and especially if you are broke you can get grants/scholarships to help with cost, even then at the end of the day it's worth going 20k in debt to make at least 2-3x that amount. Student loan is only an issue when you are taking out 100k in debt for a job that there is no demand for and or pays on avg less than that amount at senior positions.

SirReginald

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
I Mean that respectfully too. It takes money to make money. State schools are "cheap", and especially if you are broke you can get grants/scholarships to help with cost, even then at the end of the day it's worth going 20k in debt to make at least 2-3x that amount. Student loan is only an issue when you are taking out 100k in debt for a job that there is no demand for and or pays on avg less than that amount at senior positions.
However, I owe 10k back in loans. I plan to go back to college in the future to get a degree in History because that's always been my favorite subject. Something will break for me hopefully. Thanks for the advice though breh.

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
From a comment section on Atlantic

"A large part of the difference is probably social connections

If you're a college graduate from a higher income family, your family can assist you in getting your first job. They know what professional jobs are out there, how to apply, maybe have a friend of a friend who can recommend you. When you're poor and you graduate from college, you have no idea where to begin and what jobs to even apply for. All you know are the usual entry-level dead end jobs that everyone you know has. You also can't afford to spend a lot of time applying to jobs because you need money NOW to be able to survive so there's a sense of grab the first thing you can get.

I know a friend of mine, when she graduated from college, every city she considered working in, her parents knew someone who would meet her at the airport, show her around town, introduce her to people. When she said what field she was studying in college, they knew people who knew people who were in the same field who were delighted to talk to her about how to go about looking for a job. She ended up starting out at management level as a result.

When I graduated from college, I had no idea and no one to give me advice. The school's career center was useless in this situation. I ended up working for temp agencies until I got hired by a company in a much lower position than my education and skills merited and it was much more of a struggle.

There's a large amount of time wasted in just drifting until you find your feet without these connections and that puts way behind your better off peers"