Why isn't DJ Quik a bigger deal

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He has an awkward flow (which doesn't make it bad, just an aquired taste). And the same for suga free.

TELL ME YA CHEESIN FAM?

I walk around a little edgy already
Daps
Reppin
The H
When someone isn't a bigger deal, there's often a concrete reason why: and this is it - Quik is easily one of the most overrated producers ever.

Dude's voice is whatever and his beats are just malt-liquor funk derivatives. There isn't a single Quik beat I find addictive. Even though I don't mind his drums, his groove/rhythm is dull. His work just isn't left-field enough.

with that said, his shyt has a certain 'clap' to it and I read somewhere that he worked on "In Da Club" (which has a phenomenal kick and clap that sells the entire song). So I'll always give him props for that.
Just stop posting and go away please

TELL ME YA CHEESIN FAM?

I walk around a little edgy already
Daps
Reppin
The H
that's the best you can come up with? Full fascinating convos have been going on and your shytposter mind zeroes in on SirBiatch, hoping to score a couple daps/reps :mjlol:

:umad:
Not gonna go back in forth with a clown who started listening to hip hop less than a decade ago

You don't know shyt about hip hop

Do your thing though.. it's the coli

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Not gonna go back in forth with a clown who started listening to hip hop less than a decade ago

You don't know shyt about hip hop

Do your thing though.. it's the coli

:mjlol:

You shytposters love a good ducktale, don't you? Can't even keep the tales consistent.

Aight breh. Stay mute and leave the convo to real nikkas :salute:

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps
Saw quik at the Burbank airport last year, dude was flamed up with a pawg and some blood nikkas. One dude he was with was wearing some red bandana paisley patterned pants, I was like :dwillhuh:

He's a cool ass dude thought

ZEB WALTON

ayo! - BEZ
Daps
Reppin
No Father To MY Style.. A Son Unique
What real music did Rza and Preemo produce in the 90's? I'm talking Music not a hiphop beat. Not a sample over a drum loop lol

And no I'm not saying the Toni Tony Tone was Quiks stand out song I was just giving example of real music production vs a hiphop beat

And Quik didn't have a commercial/mainstream hit in the 90's so I would say he didn't have a stand out song But he did have 2 stand out albums. Safe and Sound and Rhythmalism are Classic Albums.. no doubt about it
Never listened to rza before huh

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
It ain't that bad. Most folks in this thread agree that he's dope, just pointing out some factors to why he ain't as big as he should be.
bascially...im one of the biggest stans on here...

he is a basket case..he is not all the way there...

for every producer u want to throw thats better...its videos or interviews where they are givin quik props...

shyts its been a video on youtube nikkas have seen the last couple of yrs..with dj pooh...battlecat n more nikkas..with snoop n quik...

quik bringin out cheat sheets..n shyt

battlecat n pooh n 1800 cats all in the same room makin the same ol shyt thats dre been usin...

quik in a whole different studio..with rob bacon n a drummer...creating entirely different shyt...that pretty much shows u quik aint a regional producer...vs the shyt battle cat nem was puttin out...none of the stuff quik was makin sounded like anything today or past

except the part where he the drummer mic'd up...that shyt sounded like he was remakin jackson 5's can u feel it or some shyt

then goes to the same shyt dre been makin...to quik tweekin robs guitar

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Saw quik at the Burbank airport last year, dude was flamed up with a pawg and some blood nikkas. One dude he was with was wearing some red bandana paisley patterned pants, I was like :dwillhuh:

He's a cool ass dude thought
Quik been a blood for a long time. Tree Top Piru. I see a lot of hate going on in this thread but its expected when a lot of yall weren't even around when Quik was doing his thing and made his mark. He's always been in my top 3 as far as producers. You can't knock that man's musical IQ and the sheer ability to learn how to play just about every instrument thrown at him. No one and I mean no can fuk with his mixing and mastering of albums. Thats why AEOM, Rhythmalism, Balance and Options, Street Gospel and Dogg Food still sound amazing/crisp today. His Grooves alone are classic and a staple to his greatness. He just be clowning showing his musical prowess on those shyts and they are beautiful. Say what you want and come up with all these excuses why "YOU" think he wasn't as big as "YOU" thought he should be but as far as I'm concerned the man left his mark and solidified himself as one of the greatest producers and the best West Coast producer ever bar none.

Last edited:

BO BARON

IT AIN'T $HIT!!!!
Daps
Reppin
Jackson, MS
People are confusing the thread title, which is "why isn't Quik a bigger deal" with attempts to justify Quiks skill, catalogue and place amongst the greats

Quik isn't a bigger deal for reasons people have already listed

1-Label fukkery
2-Gang banging
3-Death Row collapse/Post 96 West coast freeze out
4-Not the greatest supporting staff of talent
5-No standout mainstream monster hits
6-Heavy west coast funk sound

This shyt is relevant if you want to objectively list the GREATEST producers ever, in the sense that I cant put Quik over Dre, RZA, and Primo only because they monumentally shifted the culture and made a massive impact in a way Quik never did

But even then I don't know how Quik is not a top 10 LOCK and an arguable top 5...objectively

Personally, to me hes 2nd to Dre

Quik has three solo classics and he produced a classic for Suga Free

Outside of Primo, Dre and RZA I don't know whose fukkin with Quik catalogue

With all that said quik has his fingerprints on alot of your favorite west coast classics & alot of other classic songs & albums & world renown artist overall especially with the engineering

Palm Tree's & Blunts

Big timah timah
Daps
Quik been a blood for a long time. Tree Top Piru. I see a lot of hate going on in this thread but its expected when a lot of yall weren't even around when Quik was doing his thing and made his mark. He's always been in my top 3 as far as producers. You can't knock that man's musical IQ and the sheer ability to learn how to play just about every instrument thrown at him. No one and I mean no can fuk with his mixing and mastering of albums. Thats why AEOM, Rhythmalism, Balance and Options, Street Gospel and Dogg Food still sound amazing/crisp today. His Grooves alone are classic and a staple to his greatness. He just be clowning showing his musical prowess on those shyts and they are beautiful. Say what you want and come up with all these excuses why "YOU" think he wasn't as big as "YOU" thought he should be but as far as I'm concerned the man left his mark and solidified himself as one of the greatest producers and the best West Coast producer ever bar none.

but-but-buut it doesn't sound like boom bap :mjlol:

it's not hip hop :sadcam: