Why isn't DJ Quik a bigger deal

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
straight up.

I've rarely heard anything from Quik that has that hip hop energy.

Isn't this one of his harder joints?

^that shyt is straight up RnB to me.

"Fandango" is more hip hop to me, and the most hip hop-sounding Quik track I know. It aint even that great.

I still think "Justify My Thug" is the best hip hop beat Quik ever made.

Breh, can you please recommend the top 3 undeniable joints on both albums? :salute:

:rudy: you not even trying, quit trolling.

Techniec

Drugs and Kalashnikovs
Daps
Reppin
W/S 416
People are confusing the thread title, which is "why isn't Quik a bigger deal" with attempts to justify Quiks skill, catalogue and place amongst the greats

Quik isn't a bigger deal for reasons people have already listed

1-Label fukkery
2-Gang banging
3-Death Row collapse/Post 96 West coast freeze out
4-Not the greatest supporting staff of talent
5-No standout mainstream monster hits
6-Heavy west coast funk sound

This shyt is relevant if you want to objectively list the GREATEST producers ever, in the sense that I cant put Quik over Dre, RZA, and Primo only because they monumentally shifted the culture and made a massive impact in a way Quik never did

But even then I don't know how Quik is not a top 10 LOCK and an arguable top 5...objectively

Personally, to me hes 2nd to Dre

Quik has three solo classics and he produced a classic for Suga Free

Outside of Primo, Dre and RZA I don't know whose fukkin with Quik catalogue

Ziploc

Celestial
Daps
A big Quik fan myself but he was a niche artist.He has influence but no real,real big hits to back it up.I will put him up against any producer when it comes to his body of work but if we are talking commercial succes..nah..his sound was too regional in my opinion.As far as Mexicans fukking with him,70's based funk has always been a staple in latin households,some of y'all forget that there was an strong afro latin influence in music in the late 60's and early to mid 70's.Tower of Power/War/Santana/Al di Meola/Return to Forever/Willie Bobo etc..Mexicans love that old funk/driving music something fierce

ThisWorldAintRight

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A big Quik fan myself but he was a niche artist.He has influence but no real,real big hits to back it up.I will put him up against any producer when it comes to his body of work but if we are talking commercial succes..nah..his sound was too regional in my opinion.As far as Mexicans fukking with him,70's based funk has always been a staple in latin households,some of y'all forget that there was an strong afro latin influence in music in the late 60's and early to mid 70's.Tower of Power/War/Santana/Al di Meola/Return to Forever/Willie Bobo etc..Mexicans love that old funk/driving music something fierce

Well said.