Why is the Bronx considered the worst borough in NYC?

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
914 in the building. I'm from New Rochelle:myman:

Bro. Did you know that Mount Vernon and Yonkers was almost part of NYC?

In 1894, the voters of Mount Vernon participated in a referendum on whether they wanted to consolidate into a new "City of Greater New York." The cities of Brooklyn (Kings County) and Long Island City, the western towns and villages of Queens County, and all of day Staten Island all voted to join with Manhattan and The Bronx. However, the returns were so negative in Mount Vernon and the adjacent city of Yonkers that those two areas were not included in the consolidated city and remain independent to this day

It's fascinating because compared to the rest of Westchester County, Yonkers and Mount Vernon has the most urban landscape

breh YO still pay NYC taxes with none of the benefits. fukk that shyt the long way.

but salute we in here. :salute:

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Riverdale

"Riverdale" is a neighborhood located in the Northern section of the Bronx borough of New York City. It's known for its picturesque suburban feel within the city, with tree-lined streets, historic architecture, and spacious homes. Riverdale is situated along the Hudson River and is known for its scenic views of the river and the Palisades cliffs on the New Jersey side.

20140727-LIVING-slide-SYVK-superJumbo.jpg

Riverdale.jpg

Fieldston-district-Riverdale-NYC-Untapped-Cities-dalia-wolfson.jpg

fieldston-riverdale-new-york.2e16d0ba.fill-1200x630.jpg

fieldston-banner.png

IMG_0021-1.jpg

image.jpg

AF1QipOB3ZkEDx6u51_ct7JB57MZbknZba4wRZMC1DIn=s1600-w400

I’ve never heard of this place. It looks like its in the Appalachians

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
I’ve never heard of this place. It looks like its in the Appalachians
that's where Manhattan College likes to claim it is. Truth is that Riverdale is nice and kinda isolated from the rest of the borough. Once you get past Van Cortlandt Park and then the 1, it's still nice, but that's where you start running into people. I live right near there.

A lot of old money up there that knows it's safe because the black and brown on Kingsbridge/Marble Hill would rather move to Jersey or Westchester County when they get money.

NoirDynosaur

Yurrrrrrrrrr
Daps
Reppin
Planet Earth
Pelham Pay Park pt.1

Pelham Bay Park is a large public park located in the Bronx, New York City. It is the largest public park in New York City, spanning over 2,700 acres (about 1,093 hectares) of land. The park offers a wide range of recreational activities and natural attractions for visitors to enjoy. Here are some key points about Pelham Bay Park:

1. Location: Pelham Bay Park is situated in the northeastern part of the Bronx, bordered by the Eastchester Bay to the east and the Long Island Sound to the north.
  2. Attractions:
    • Orchard Beach: Often referred to as "The Riviera of New York City," Orchard Beach is a popular crescent-shaped beach within the park, attracting visitors for swimming, sunbathing, and picnicking.
    • Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum: This historic mansion within the park offers guided tours, showcasing 19th-century architecture, period furnishings, and beautiful gardens.
    • Hunter Island: A natural area within the park known for its hiking trails and scenic views.
    • Split Rock Golf Course: An 18-hole golf course located within the park, providing a recreational option for golf enthusiasts.
    • Bronx Equestrian Center: Offers horseback riding lessons and trail rides for visitors of all ages.
  3. Recreation: The park provides various recreational facilities, including sports fields, picnic areas, playgrounds, and walking trails. Visitors can engage in activities such as baseball, soccer, tennis, and more.
  4. Natural Environment: Pelham Bay Park is home to diverse ecosystems, including forests, wetlands, salt marshes, and rocky shorelines. It serves as a habitat for various wildlife species and offers opportunities for bird watching and nature exploration.
  5. Events and Programs: The park hosts a variety of events, workshops, and educational programs throughout the year, such as nature walks, fitness classes, and cultural events.
  6. Accessibility: Pelham Bay Park is accessible by public transportation, including the subway and bus lines. It's a popular destination for both local residents and tourists looking to escape the urban environment and enjoy nature.
  7. History: The park's history dates back to the early 20th century when it was acquired by the city for recreational purposes. It has since grown into a significant green space for the community.

pelham-bay-park.jpg

7956331524_307cca9516_b.jpg

2020-03-04+10.58.34+1.jpg

DOn1dirWkAAwEn0.jpg

26-Bartow-Pell-Garden_courtesy-of-Bartow-Pell-Mansion-Museum.jpg

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJhc3NldHMuYWxsdHJhaWxzLmNvbSIsImtleSI6InVwbG9hZHMvcGhvdG8vaW1hZ2UvMzYzNzE4OTUvY2QwMGYwMTc5MTIxYjBkNjFiMDY2MTk4OWE4ODVmZjYuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOnsidG9Gb3JtYXQiOiJqcGVnIiwicmVzaXplIjp7IndpZHRoIjoyMDQ4LCJoZWlnaHQiOjIwNDgsImZpdCI6Imluc2lkZSJ9LCJyb3RhdGUiOm51bGwsImpwZWciOnsidHJlbGxpc1F1YW50aXNhdGlvbiI6dHJ1ZSwib3ZlcnNob290RGVyaW5naW5nIjp0cnVlLCJvcHRpbWlzZVNjYW5zIjp0cnVlLCJxdWFudGlzYXRpb25UYWJsZSI6M319fQ==

siwanoy-trail.jpg

20200705_110655.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

zh51qqdnrp481.jpg

F-of-PBP-map1024_1.png

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Pelham Pay Park pt.1

Pelham Bay Park is a large public park located in the Bronx, New York City. It is the largest public park in New York City, spanning over 2,700 acres (about 1,093 hectares) of land. The park offers a wide range of recreational activities and natural attractions for visitors to enjoy. Here are some key points about Pelham Bay Park:

1. Location: Pelham Bay Park is situated in the northeastern part of the Bronx, bordered by the Eastchester Bay to the east and the Long Island Sound to the north.
  2. Attractions:
    • Orchard Beach: Often referred to as "The Riviera of New York City," Orchard Beach is a popular crescent-shaped beach within the park, attracting visitors for swimming, sunbathing, and picnicking.
    • Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum: This historic mansion within the park offers guided tours, showcasing 19th-century architecture, period furnishings, and beautiful gardens.
    • Hunter Island: A natural area within the park known for its hiking trails and scenic views.
    • Split Rock Golf Course: An 18-hole golf course located within the park, providing a recreational option for golf enthusiasts.
    • Bronx Equestrian Center: Offers horseback riding lessons and trail rides for visitors of all ages.
  3. Recreation: The park provides various recreational facilities, including sports fields, picnic areas, playgrounds, and walking trails. Visitors can engage in activities such as baseball, soccer, tennis, and more.
  4. Natural Environment: Pelham Bay Park is home to diverse ecosystems, including forests, wetlands, salt marshes, and rocky shorelines. It serves as a habitat for various wildlife species and offers opportunities for bird watching and nature exploration.
  5. Events and Programs: The park hosts a variety of events, workshops, and educational programs throughout the year, such as nature walks, fitness classes, and cultural events.
  6. Accessibility: Pelham Bay Park is accessible by public transportation, including the subway and bus lines. It's a popular destination for both local residents and tourists looking to escape the urban environment and enjoy nature.
  7. History: The park's history dates back to the early 20th century when it was acquired by the city for recreational purposes. It has since grown into a significant green space for the community.

pelham-bay-park.jpg

DOn1dirWkAAwEn0.jpg

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJhc3NldHMuYWxsdHJhaWxzLmNvbSIsImtleSI6InVwbG9hZHMvcGhvdG8vaW1hZ2UvMzYzNzE4OTUvY2QwMGYwMTc5MTIxYjBkNjFiMDY2MTk4OWE4ODVmZjYuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOnsidG9Gb3JtYXQiOiJqcGVnIiwicmVzaXplIjp7IndpZHRoIjoyMDQ4LCJoZWlnaHQiOjIwNDgsImZpdCI6Imluc2lkZSJ9LCJyb3RhdGUiOm51bGwsImpwZWciOnsidHJlbGxpc1F1YW50aXNhdGlvbiI6dHJ1ZSwib3ZlcnNob290RGVyaW5naW5nIjp0cnVlLCJvcHRpbWlzZVNjYW5zIjp0cnVlLCJxdWFudGlzYXRpb25UYWJsZSI6M319fQ==

siwanoy-trail.jpg

20200705_110655.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

zh51qqdnrp481.jpg

F-of-PBP-map1024_1.png

I played golf at Split Rock last weekend. It was decent.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People value different things, right? Manhattan has skyscrapers for days but it wasn't the first time I've seen mad skyscrapers even if Manhattan's density of skyscrapers are more than anywhere else domestically. The size of Manhattan wasn't overwhelming to me---->~1.65 million people...

I lived in Los Angeles as a child which has nearly twice that population, cities with over a million people aren't foreign to me. I've traveled the US pretty extensively, I've been to Dallas prior to going to New York, this wasn't my first excursion to a super large city...

Manhattan's density of foreigners and variety in places to eat, I'd assume is on a greater scale than most places. Going to NY wasn't my first or second or third (etc) time being exposed to people who speak different languages or are from around the globe--->I'm from Sacramento bro, a city consistently ranked as one of the most diverse and integrated US cities. I've lived in greater DC and greater Atlanta and the city of LA, I've been exposed to luxury fashion and luxury vehicles and condos and all that shyt...

This is the best explanation I can give--->now dont get me fukked up, it was definitely unique. Architecturally it looks different than what I'm used to, the people sound different, and again the scale/density of options is noticeably greater than you see in most places...

Manhattan and New York in general were certainly unique to me, and I enjoyed my visit. But it wasn't so unique, as in "damn, mind blown/socks blown off", that I have to go again, or I fell in love with it...

For the record I have a strong hunch that if I ever get to Queens I'll be tempted to stay...

Hell's Kitchen and the immediately adjacent areas...

What part of BX you from bruh?

BK and Queens are definitely up there, because for me, the best places for black people qualify as being the best places in America...

I can find unique places that are great for us elsewhere too though that, sure, don't offer a NY/BK/Qns experience, but offer the experience that is unique and local to that place. My only hang-up with many NYers is that many carry this attitude that NY should be everyone's favorite place because they think so or say so. You know I love Western NY, and the attitudes Borough cats tend to have towards Upstate is wack to me, because I much rather prefer Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo to Manhattan. And sometimes people can't understand that because they apply their values and what matters to them, to other people who just may not feel the same way about things they do...

For sure for sure though, The Bronx is better than most places. It's better than Elmira 🤣...

What do you find so fascinating about Queens?

Last edited:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
What do yiu find so fascinating about Queens?
When I lived Upstate I heard from about 5 different people, at different times, who told me I remind them of a Queens nikka. This was circa 2011, 2012, 2013, didn't put too much stock into it then. I assumed it was because I was trafficking and maybe something about my speech or persona...

Years later I started researching random shyt about Queens and it just has some major appeal to me. The demographics, the layout, etc. I've known some heads from Queens over the years, when I lived in Albany one of my boys was from Far Rock, that was my dog, and just met a few more guys from there over time...

To me its easily the most appealing borough. Probably the strongest borough for black people in terms of livability, there's plenty of entertainment there, it's on the short list of most diverse and most integrated cities/places in America. It's something about Queens that just stands out way above the other boroughs to me. I've never been to Bronx, Brooklyn or SI either but I have no real itch to see those places. I really wanna see Queens though 🤣...

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
Pelham Pay Park pt.1

2. Attractions:

pelham-bay-park.jpg

DOn1dirWkAAwEn0.jpg

siwanoy-trail.jpg

20200705_110655.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

zh51qqdnrp481.jpg

F-of-PBP-map1024_1.png

You puttin in great work!
I had a friend from uptown that used to live in Riverdale. She moved back to Harlem when she retired.

Growing up in nearby Fairfield County I was lucky to have visited some of these parks. The Bronx Zoo and New York Botanical Garden are world renowned attractions and real estate. Growing up I was kind of jealous of my native NYC older sisters that saw and experienced more of the City in real time than me.

Nature & Parks in Bronx​

When I did community road races I planned on doing one Van Cortlandt Park but never got around to it.

Van Cortlandt Park is the third largest New York City Park with 1,146 acres. Over half of the Park is forested and it has the largest freshwater lake in the borough. There is a lot of history in the Park: - It contains the Bronx's oldest building, the Van Cortlandt House built in 1748-49. The Park has the oldest municipal golf course in the United States, the Van Cortlandt Golf Course, founded in 1895. -It has a National Historic Landmark trail, the Old Croton Aqueduct Trail, which travels the route of the city's original water tunnel. Inside VCP is a cross-country running course with a national reputation. Every year, the rugged course hosts the national cross-country championships as well as the Manhattan College Invitational for high school students throughout the U.S.

photo0jpg.jpg

photo2jpg.jpg

van-cortlandt-park-lake.jpg

van-cortlandt-park.jpg

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
that's where Manhattan College likes to claim it is. Truth is that Riverdale is nice and kinda isolated from the rest of the borough. Once you get past Van Cortlandt Park and then the 1, it's still nice, but that's where you start running into people. I live right near there.

A lot of old money up there that knows it's safe because the black and brown on Kingsbridge/Marble Hill would rather move to Jersey or Westchester County when they get money.

I like Kingsbridge a lot, it's nice while still feeling like The Bronx.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
When I lived Upstate I heard from about 5 different people, at different times, who told me I remind them of a Queens nikka. This was circa 2011, 2012, 2013, didn't put too much stock into it then. I assumed it was because I was trafficking and maybe something about my speech or persona...

Years later I started researching random shyt about Queens and it just has some major appeal to me. The demographics, the layout, etc. I've known some heads from Queens over the years, when I lived in Albany one of my boys was from Far Rock, that was my dog, and just met a few more guys from there over time...

To me its easily the most appealing borough. Probably the strongest borough for black people in terms of livability, there's plenty of entertainment there, it's on the short list of most diverse and most integrated cities/places in America. It's something about Queens that just stands out way above the other boroughs to me. I've never been to Bronx, Brooklyn or SI either but I have no real itch to see those places. I really wanna see Queens though 🤣...
It is the most appealing borough to be honest.

Put it like this if you only had 2 hours to get the most out of NYC by visiting 1 borough I would pick Queens.

Queens is a combination of just about everything you can think of.

the only borough that has something that Queens lacks is Brooklyn that has a legit Downtown. The “downtowns” in Queens typically are very ethnic centric. Flushing - China/Korea, Elmhurst - China, Jamaica - black, Far Rockaway - black

NoirDynosaur

Yurrrrrrrrrr
Daps
Reppin
Planet Earth
It is the most appealing borough to be honest.

Put it like this if you only had 2 hours to get the most out of NYC by visiting 1 borough I would pick Queens.

Queens is a combination of just about everything you can think of.

the only borough that has something that Queens lacks is Brooklyn that has a legit Downtown. The “downtowns” in Queens typically are very ethnic centric. Flushing - China/Korea, Elmhurst - China, Jamaica - black, Far Rockaway - black
Long Island City, Flushing and Astoria have decent downtown districts. Long Island City has a nice scenic waterfront. Great view of the East River and Manhattan. Flushing has the most busiest downtown with the 7 train bringing about millions of visitors from Manhattan. Astoria comes in third.

Out of all the boroughs, Queens is more suburban. Urban but quieter. The most densest borough with ties to Long Island

I'll do a Queens thread in the future. There's a lot of gems in Queens a lot of people should check out.