Why is the Bronx considered the worst borough in NYC?

ThaBronxBully

Postin’ & Toastin’ Since 02’
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Why do people hate Staten Island? Never been to NY before but curious

It’s Just A b*stard Child, Can’t Take The Subway There, Nothing Popular Out There

The Bronx At Least Has The REAL Little Italy, Yankee Stadium, The Bronx Zoo (2nd Biggest Zoo In The Country), Botanical Garden

If You’re A Borough We Can’t Take A Train To Are You Really A Borough? lol

NoirDynosaur

Yurrrrrrrrrr
Daps
Reppin
Planet Earth
"Worst" is a loaded term but it has the highest rates of violent crime and poverty, and arguably the lowest levels of entertainment, in The City...

Even with that there is no borough in NY that is bad on a crisis-level scale, there are plenty of places in this country with lower scales of entertainment options, and higher violence and poverty than Bronx. Plenty of areas around the US where The Bronx shyts all over em...
If you're talking about the South Bronx, then yeah that fits the description. But I argue that parts of Brooklyn like East New York and Brownsville, even East Flatbush can go neck and neck with the South Bronx. Queens is more quieter, but certain parts of Jamaica and Far Rockaway can get ugly.

South Bronx places like Soundview, Melrose, Hunts Point, Tremont and Mott Haven are a dead zone. Out of those places, Mott Haven has the most improvement

The Hub

4368.jpg

The Hub is the main commercial, culinary, and retail center of the South Bronx. Just like Fordham, the latest gear can be found throughout the block.

New condos being built

BRONXBRICKS305East140thStreet2A-MottHavenNewYork_Christopher_Connor_DouglasElliman_Photography_88318701_high_res.jpg

2e20b78a585ac6260b5441fed068a0b6-full.jpg

the-joinery-03.jpg

bruckner.jpg

The local culinary scene
Beatstro%2BBronx.jpg

bd8c66a5dbeatstro-16-jpg.jpeg

image-6.jpg

Charlies-outside.jpg

20200122-145444-largejpg.jpg

20160708_114622%2Bcopy.jpg

1.20442533.jpg

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
"Worst" is a loaded term but it has the highest rates of violent crime and poverty, and arguably the lowest levels of entertainment, in The City...

Even with that there is no borough in NY that is bad on a crisis-level scale, there are plenty of places in this country with lower scales of entertainment options, and higher violence and poverty than Bronx. Plenty of areas around the US where The Bronx shyts all over em...

You gotta explain why you have Queens #4...

For the record I've only been to Manhattan, wasn't that impressed. Like of course I get why it has the hype it does, but I'm also a city guy in general, so when I went, it wasn't like some small town kid seeing a large city for the first time, eyes wide open. It was a cool little trip, but not somewhere I need to go back to...

Now Queens, I have a real Jones to see Queens for some reason!

This dude is an expert on every city in America :dead:

NoirDynosaur

Yurrrrrrrrrr
Daps
Reppin
Planet Earth
Riverdale

"Riverdale" is a neighborhood located in the Northern section of the Bronx borough of New York City. It's known for its picturesque suburban feel within the city, with tree-lined streets, historic architecture, and spacious homes. Riverdale is situated along the Hudson River and is known for its scenic views of the river and the Palisades cliffs on the New Jersey side.

20140727-LIVING-slide-SYVK-superJumbo.jpg

Riverdale.jpg

Fieldston-district-Riverdale-NYC-Untapped-Cities-dalia-wolfson.jpg

fieldston-riverdale-new-york.2e16d0ba.fill-1200x630.jpg

fieldston-banner.png

IMG_0021-1.jpg

image.jpg

AF1QipOB3ZkEDx6u51_ct7JB57MZbknZba4wRZMC1DIn=s1600-w400

NoirDynosaur

Yurrrrrrrrrr
Daps
Reppin
Planet Earth
Van Cortlandt Park

Van Cortlandt Park is a large public park located in the Bronx, New York City. It's one of the city's largest parks, covering approximately 1,146 acres (464 hectares). The park offers a variety of recreational activities and features, making it a popular destination for both locals and visitors. Here are some key highlights and information about Van Cortlandt Park:

1. Natural Beauty: The park is known for its natural beauty, featuring forests, wetlands, meadows, and the Tibbetts Brook. It offers a serene escape from the urban environment and is a great place for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts.
  2. Hiking and Trails: Van Cortlandt Park has an extensive network of hiking trails, including the John Kieran Nature Trail and the Putnam Trail. The Old Croton Aqueduct Trail also passes through the park, offering a scenic route for walkers, runners, and cyclists.
  3. Golf Course: The park is home to the Van Cortlandt Golf Course, one of the oldest public golf courses in the United States. It's an 18-hole course that attracts golfers of all skill levels.
  4. Sports Facilities: The park features various sports facilities, including baseball fields, soccer fields, and tennis courts. It's a hub for sports activities and events.
  5. Equestrian Activities: Van Cortlandt Park is one of the few places in New York City where horseback riding is permitted. There are riding trails and a riding stable within the park.
  6. Van Cortlandt House Museum: This historic house, built in 1748, is located within the park. It's the oldest building in the Bronx and offers guided tours to provide insights into the area's history.
  7. Cultural Events: The park hosts various cultural events, concerts, and festivals throughout the year. These events add vibrancy to the park and provide opportunities for the community to come together.
  8. Picnicking and Relaxation: There are designated picnic areas in the park, making it a great spot for family gatherings and leisurely picnics.
  9. Environmental Education: The Urban Park Rangers offer educational programs and guided hikes to help visitors learn more about the park's natural features and history.
  10. Accessibility: Van Cortlandt Park is accessible by public transportation, including the subway and buses. It's a valuable green space for residents of the Bronx and the wider New York City area.

van-courtlandt-lake-swans-860x645.jpg

VanCortlandtPark_feature_CharlesMcKinney_2012.jpg

RyaInman_VCP_secrets-12.jpg

RyaInman_VCP_secrets-4.jpg

RyaInman_VCP_secrets-9.jpg

Entrance_To_Van_Cortlandt_Park_2012.jpg

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps
Hell's Kitchen and the immediately adjacent areas...

Aka tourist central. Of course you werent impressed.

As for worst borough, Subjective to where youre from.

Staten island and bronx are the two ends of the spectrum. Brooklyn and queens are prolly the nicest places to live but with manhattan being the center, best to visit.

A lot of nycers are really ignorant to how staten island has developed. Its not all white people anymore, but atleast the people there are multi generational new yorkers. honestly cant say that with some of the more popular boroughs.

And the ferry is underrated. Might take longer but i rather be on the ferry, on the outside deck on the water in the summer with a few beers from the concession stand than stuck in a smelly subway car.

But if you dont have any plans in general, theres no need to leave any borough. I been to queens like 3x for work. I felt zero need to return.

Last edited:

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
City island aka choocha city.. if you know you know :mjgrin:

Friday night at seafood city is my go too spot :wow:
We called Orchard Beach "Chocha Beach".

Most of the Bronx (by land area) is kinda suburban.
Stop it. Look at an aerial view of the Bronx in Google Earth.

I consider Staten island the worst.
It is.

For the record I've only been to Manhattan, wasn't that impressed.
Then you are a fool. Nothing more I can say.

I've been to 5 continents. you're out of your mind if you think Manhattan isn't impressive. where else have you been that trumps manhattan on a city scale:dahell:
I grew up in the Bronx and saw the Manhattan skyline from my bedroom and balcony every day for 15 years. It never got old and always awed me. Even being in it as an adult still has me like :whoo::whew::banderas:\

City island isn’t even the best part of the Bronx. There are areas like country club and Riverdale and Pelham that are much nicer.

City island is a just a piece of land for Italians that like fish
City Island is Bronx territory.

:stopitslime:aint city island without johnnys and tonys

a1 post tho
Jonny's all the way at the end is my spot. Fried clams and fries with a large coke, sit outside and watch the water... :ahh:

People shyt on the Bronx but Staten Island gets the real disrespect because we refuse to even acknowledge it as a borough :mjlol:

Manhattan is the best borough, followed by Brooklyn :manny:

Why do people hate Staten Island? Never been to NY before but curious

If they did a borough redraft I think Jersey City or Newark join the team before Staten Island :mjlol:

It’s Just A b*stard Child, Can’t Take The Subway There, Nothing Popular Out There

The Bronx At Least Has The REAL Little Italy, Yankee Stadium, The Bronx Zoo (2nd Biggest Zoo In The Country), Botanical Garden

If You’re A Borough We Can’t Take A Train To Are You Really A Borough? lol

NYC should give Staten Island to New Jersey.

360dagod

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SAN ANTONIO SPURS NY DIVISION
People value different things, right? Manhattan has skyscrapers for days but it wasn't the first time I've seen mad skyscrapers even if Manhattan's density of skyscrapers are more than anywhere else domestically. The size of Manhattan wasn't overwhelming to me---->~1.65 million people...

I lived in Los Angeles as a child which has nearly twice that population, cities with over a million people aren't foreign to me. I've traveled the US pretty extensively, I've been to Dallas prior to going to New York, this wasn't my first excursion to a super large city...

Manhattan's density of foreigners and variety in places to eat, I'd assume is on a greater scale than most places. Going to NY wasn't my first or second or third (etc) time being exposed to people who speak different languages or are from around the globe--->I'm from Sacramento bro, a city consistently ranked as one of the most diverse and integrated US cities. I've lived in greater DC and greater Atlanta and the city of LA, I've been exposed to luxury fashion and luxury vehicles and condos and all that shyt...

This is the best explanation I can give--->now dont get me fukked up, it was definitely unique. Architecturally it looks different than what I'm used to, the people sound different, and again the scale/density of options is noticeably greater than you see in most places...

Manhattan and New York in general were certainly unique to me, and I enjoyed my visit. But it wasn't so unique, as in "damn, mind blown/socks blown off", that I have to go again, or I fell in love with it...

For the record I have a strong hunch that if I ever get to Queens I'll be tempted to stay...

Hell's Kitchen and the immediately adjacent areas...

What part of BX you from bruh?

BK and Queens are definitely up there, because for me, the best places for black people qualify as being the best places in America...

I can find unique places that are great for us elsewhere too though that, sure, don't offer a NY/BK/Qns experience, but offer the experience that is unique and local to that place. My only hang-up with many NYers is that many carry this attitude that NY should be everyone's favorite place because they think so or say so. You know I love Western NY, and the attitudes Borough cats tend to have towards Upstate is wack to me, because I much rather prefer Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo to Manhattan. And sometimes people can't understand that because they apply their values and what matters to them, to other people who just may not feel the same way about things they do...

For sure for sure though, The Bronx is better than most places. It's better than Elmira 🤣...

The Western New York stigma exists for new Yorkers who move there from the 5 boroughs..

You doing bad and there is no explanation that will be accepted.... :francis:

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Someone had asked if the Bronx has suburbs and I had to stop to think. And I gotta say that Yokers, Mt. Vernon and New Rochelle are all I could come up with but they are cities unto themselves. How can a borough have cities as suburbs? :ohlawd:

The Bronx really just has that much juice when you look at it.