Why is it so hard to find a job now?

morris

Superstar
Daps
I would hate to be on LinkedIn right now competing against 100+ applicants with similar/higher qualifications also using AI. Half the time those positions go to someone internally or a employee referral that didn't even apply.

I'm a hiring manager in healthcare and turnover is down for our remote department. Most employees aren't going anywhere unless it was their first job out of college and/or can get a huge pay bump jumping ship to another company. When we post a remote position it hits the application limit within 2 days internally. Most of these are entry level positions that start at $18-$20 an hour. Some people we interview are in higher positions within the company or elsewhere willing to take a cut to work 9-5 remote position.

All I been hearing on Social Media the past couple years is 9-5 is for squares, now everyone trying to come home before this recession really pops off:sas1:

I need to lock in myself over the next 6 months in my current role due to organizational changes. Not layoffs but these VP's and Directors are being pushed to cut costs, and they are not paying $55-$90k+ for people in these roles and the employees aren't earning their keep. Tech might be the exception if they are already in the company, but the "lazy girl", clock in 8 hours but only work 2 or 3 hours mentality will be dead by the end of next year. My department is pushing us to get low performers on the PIP Disciplinary path.

Hate to spend time and money into it, but might have to enroll at WGU next year and finish up this sorry degree to stay competitive before I get too old:wow:
It's not just LinkedIn...those same jobs are usually on Indeed and a host of other sites. And each have approximately 50-100 applicants per site.

Gotta keep on grinding.
Same with indeed. Post your resume. Jobs will find you.
Indeed and some of those other sites always get me emails for positions that are either in another state or a position that has nothing to do with my experience.

I've had a few callbacks from experience recruiters internally for companies only to have the hiring manager say they are looking for someone with a niche experience not applicable to my skills. Gotta keep on grinding

morris

Superstar
Daps
1. You don’t apply through indeed etc you find out the company name on Indeed and then apply directly on the company website or email the listed company recruiter on the website DIRECTLY :snoop:

2. Make sure your resume is EMBELLISHED. Stop saying what you’ve done and start saying what you can do pertaining to the Job description even if you haven’t done it as long as you can learn it. You will hit the keywords that the software they use is looking to detect.
Did both. I never apply from those sites UNTIL I've verified it's open on the company site. Every now and then it's only via LinkedIn , which sucks for me.
Only job I ever got from any if these websites was Fresh Market from Career builder, I'm almost certain that website gave my computer a virus.

They a racist company out of north Carolina, long story short, I hated them, they hated me, we had a work hate relationship for four years until I finally left them.
Wait..Careerbuilder have you a virus?

I used them to apply for a HR. Project Manager position...no reply back.
Yeah, I had a shyt ton of Indian recruiters hit me up for crappy jobs. I had maybe 2 serious interviews. The job I got, I don’t even remember applying for
You talking about eTeam Inc.? A bunch of low paying jobs, way under market, even for today...funny I emailed them and never heard back. No way I'm calling them for a shytty position.

I emailed them asking about the pay (the reviews from people state they don't pay on time) and about the qualifications. No email reply on an ASAP job sounds really fishy.

Daps
Reppin
Jersey
One phrase.....DATA ANALYTICS.
This is the future brehs, especially in non-tech industries like Healthcare, Law, and Trucking etc.
Do yourself a favor and learn SQL today.

You can go onto McDonald's site and probably find a data analytics or business analyst position open

can you elaborate on this ?

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
@morris that was 2009, I worked for tfm from 2009 to 2012

That computer been gone

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
can you elaborate on this ?
So many companies outside of tech are going to start relying on data for almost everything. A lot of companies capture so much raw data and they either currently don't know how to use it or are transitioning into a lot of different systems/methods to manage that data. It's new territory for a lot of companies.

So skills like SQL, Excel, MATLAB, Data Visualization (Tableau, Power BI etc) will be so valuable since demand will be high. Big healthcare companies like Blue Cross and Baylor Scott White are getting more and more into data for both external and internal business. Even with entry/intermediate skills you can land $100K+ jobs.

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
All this stuff is cyclical. This current environment reminds me of the 2000s, the boom in hiring most of yall are probably used to was a result of the 08 recovery efforts.
Having to actually try to get an offer against stiff competition was the normal setting if we being honest
That said it's a couple of industries hiring like crazy even now. Nursing, Municipal jobs including transit, CO jobs, Police and firemen
My inbox been dry pretty much all year but recently tech companies like Amazon and Banks like JPMC have been emailing me again so tech might be starting to heat up
This current environment remind me of the early 80's recession as well. It also remind me of the mid 90's, when I was going thru it alone. In 94', I left my 9 year GS-5 guard position, and started my first IT position in the private sector, just to get laid off for no reason three months later. I was going on job interview after job interview. Then I got hired a month later for another private sector job in IT, starting me off with a big salary for the first time. I was so happy, I was literally touching my living room ceiling. The company was owned by foreigners. My first day there, they sat me in an office alone all day, except for my 45 minute lunch break. I remember this cute young slim dark-skinned sister working in an office across the hallway. She was wearing this blue dress. We instantly waved at one another. We were the only two Blacks there in this small company. The next day, they called me, and told me not to comeback for the time being. This reminds me of how cold these foreigner can be towards us.

I spent eight months going on job interviews. When I had only one more unemployment check left, I got a letter from this government job I'd been applying to for a long time, and got hired to start my first secure IT job. If I didn't already have 9 years as a government guard, they probably would have never hired me. I don't think the private sector was ever going to hire me in IT. I guess I didn't have the right job interviewing skills, and I had the wrong middle name...whatever. During the time I was unemployed, it got to the point my girlfriend at the time, who was from Cameroon, let somebody talk her into believing I was the problem. I see more and more how messed up that was. Like what was I doing, going to job interviews walking on my hands, then returning back to normal in front of her? So now all of a sudden, none of this had anything to do with my race? I know it's hard to find the right African-American woman, but this kinda showed me no one probably identifies with a brother the way a sister from the states can. After six years together. we wound up going our own way only about four months after I started the job, and none of it was planned.

Fastforward, people are sending out hundreds of resumes today, and hearing nothing back. And unlike the situation I was in, some have been waiting longer than eight months for a new job. The difference in 2008 was, you couldn't get a security guard job, even with 12 years security guard experience, 11 years IT security experience, and half of grad-school. I experienced this when I almost hit rock bottom for the third time. During this 2023 downturn, at least you can still get one of these lower paying jobs, unlike during the crash of 2008. But you need two or three of them to make ends meet.

Last edited:

morris

Superstar
Daps
Here's a site where you can apply though there assessments are no joke. Many algebraic/statistics-type questions. Geared more toward engineers. Set aside about 2 hours for their tests.

Oldschooler

All Star
Daps
This current environment remind me of the early 80's recession as well. It also remind me of the mid 90's, when I was going thru it alone. In 94', I left my 9 year GS-5 guard position, and started my first IT position in the private sector, just to get laid off for no reason three months later. I was going on job interview after job interview. Then I got hired a month later for another private sector job in IT, starting me off with a big salary for the first time. I was so happy, I was literally touching my living room ceiling. The company was owned by foreigners. My first day there, they sat me in an office alone all day, except for my 45 minute lunch break. I remember this cute young slim dark-skinned sister working in an office across the hallway. She was wearing this blue dress. We instantly waved at one another. We were the only two Blacks there in this small company. The next day, they called me, and told me not to comeback for the time being. This reminds me of how cold these foreigner can be towards us.

I spent eight months going on job interviews. When I had only one more unemployment check left, I got a letter from this government job I'd been applying to for a long time, and got hired to start my first secure IT job. If I didn't already have 9 years as a government guard, they probably would have never hired me. I don't think the private sector was ever going to hire me. I guess I didn't have the right job interviewing skills, and I had the wrong middle name...whatever. During the time I was unemployed, it got to the point my girlfriend at the time, who was from Cameroon, let somebody talk her into believing I was the problem. I see more and more how messed up that was. Like what was I doing, going to job interviews walking on my hands, then returning back to normal in front of her? So now all of a sudden, none of this had anything to do with my race? I know it's hard to find the right African-American woman, but this kinda showed me no one probably identifies with a brother the way a sister from the states can. After six years together. we wound up going our own way only about four months after I started the job, and none of it was planned.

Fastforward, people are sending out hundreds of resumes today, and hearing nothing back. And unlike the situation I was in, some have been waiting longer than eight months for a new job. The difference in 2008 was, you couldn't get a security guard job, even with 12 years security guard experience, 11 years IT security experience, and half of grad-school. I experienced this when I almost hit rock bottom for the third time. During this 2023 downturn, at least you can still get one of these lower paying jobs, unlike during the crash of 2008. But you need two or three of them to make ends meet.
In the mid 90s computers weren't mainstream, people got hired by word of mouth, referrals, or simply cold calling and dropping off your resume. At least you were still getting interviews.

Fast forward to the modern era and applying to jobs became a lot more technical. Nowadays you win the lottery to even get through the online portal and called for an interview. Which is why still the most effective way to get an interview or hired is through networking or referrals from your inner circle / acquaintances. Submitting a resume online is like playing the lottery.