Why is it so hard to find a job now?

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Tech in Healthcare is booming right now as well.

What specifically? I may look into this. As for OP, times are rough but it also may be your resume. Have someone vet it.

Tech has always been on some bullshyt. A lot of smoke and mirrors and “growth” to make shareholders happy. Wasting so much money on literal bullshyt. I hate what it has become. But a lot of people took advantage and rubbed it in everyone’s faces. Not surprising.

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
One phrase.....DATA ANALYTICS.
This is the future brehs, especially in non-tech industries like Healthcare, Law, and Trucking etc.
Do yourself a favor and learn SQL today.

You can go onto McDonald's site and probably find a data analytics or business analyst position open

Few tips for applying

1. Have multiple versions of your resume.
  • When you look at a lot of job descriptions, start paying attention to what they are asking for and look for patterns. Add those to your resume(s).
  • Maybe you actually only have 3 years experience. Well one job may ask for 6 with Microsoft Suite proficiency, so one resume you add that
  • Other jobs may only ask for 2 years experience with Google Suite proficiency. So on another version you add that.
  • Recruiters don't care about your actual qualifications. They really care if they line up with the job posting.
2. This may take extra work, but when you find a job on indeed/Zip/Monster, go to the employers website and see if they have it posted. Majority of job postings on 3rd party sites are either already filled/old or don't exist. Double check with the actual employer site.

3. DO NOT filter your job search by any criteria other than location. This will shrink your pool significantly! You'd be surprised that a lot of companies just don't advertise remote work and salary. Also you'd be surprised what you can negotiate if they like you enough. Posting could say a location, but when you interview they say that they are transitioning to remote. Actually had that happen to me before.
  • Don't search for remote jobs
  • Don't search by salary

4. Get your resume professionally done. Best investment I have ever made. Most people's resume look like shyt. In my last job I would actually sometimes be apart of the new hire process and a lot of resumes that made it to our team looked like absolute dog shyt. The ones that looked really good stuck out and got calls even by just skimming through it.

Dapped, repped. Going through a career change and been wanting to add some certs to my resume finally.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Yea I don’t think anyone would’ve predicted these tech companies just have these mass layoffs after covid. Then see other industries follow suit too.

I’m gonna everything I can to get my own business going after this gig.

I work in tech and still get calls all day.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
What specifically? I may look into this. As for OP, times are rough but it also may be your resume. Have someone vet it.

Tech has always been on some bullshyt. A lot of smoke and mirrors and “growth” to make shareholders happy. Wasting so much money on literal bullshyt. I hate what it has become. But a lot of people took advantage and rubbed it in everyone’s faces. Not surprising.

i work in healthcare only thing is salaries aren't as high as the private sector, no bonuses. I just got a raise after 3 years because ford bill was tossed in the bushes but good pension and job security

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Buzz words are the key, cut back on the long winded descriptions, bullet points>>>, one to two pages, five year experience, nothing going back before the five years, volunteer gigs is a plus to big up the resume, and don't come off as desperate.

-former resume creator
Do you still help people with resumes?

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
Try to get on with your county, city, or state government. The pay probably won't be great but job security and benefits are just as important. You can always pick up some easy gig work on the side to add to your income since local government has a good work/life balance.
Most of the Black people I know who are retired, retired from the government. A lot the youngest baby boomers, and the generations on down, went for the bag in the private industry, and turned their backs on the benefits. Luckily, I listen to my older co-workers near retirement, when I was in my twenties, working as a GS-5 guard. These older co-workers kept saying, "The Benefits". That's all they would say. It didn't make a lot of sense then, but it sure does now.

Last edited:

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Neptune
I applied to maybe 200 jobs since late May and have only heard back from around 7. I just like to accept the fact that some resumes/applications are better than mine. Some people are more experienced :yeshrug:

I even tried agencies and didn't get a single call back.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
All this stuff is cyclical. This current environment reminds me of the 2000s, the boom in hiring most of yall are probably used to was a result of the 08 recovery efforts.
Having to actually try to get an offer against stiff competition was the normal setting if we being honest
That said it's a couple of industries hiring like crazy even now. Nursing, Municipal jobs including transit, CO jobs, Police and firemen
My inbox been dry pretty much all year but recently tech companies like Amazon and Banks like JPMC have been emailing me again so tech might be starting to heat up