Why is it so hard to find a job now?

Oldschooler

All Star
Daps
How is it out there for brehs in the trades?
The trades are very hot still. If you have a good head on your shoulders and work hard you'll always have a job. But being in project management and seeing the internals....construction is definitely slowing down in 2024. Developers and investors have placed projects on hold due to interest rates. Residential construction will be the first to really slow down, followed by commercial. Public projects will be ongoing if not ramping up during the recession. If you can secure your job working as a trade on a public project you won't see any slow down.

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
In the mid 90s computers weren't mainstream, people got hired by word of mouth, referrals, or simply cold calling and dropping off your resume. At least you were still getting interviews.

Fast forward to the modern era and applying to jobs became a lot more technical. Nowadays you win the lottery to even get through the online portal and called for an interview. Which is why still the most effective way to get an interview or hired is through networking or referrals from your inner circle / acquaintances. Submitting a resume online is like playing the lottery.
A friend of mine finally got hired last week. The way they search for jobs now, almost sound like a foreign language, compared to back in the day. He also did a few webcam interviews. I could never imagine putting on my interview clothes, and not leaving the house. But that's the world today. At least he didn't waste gas. I'm glad he got a sedentary position again.

Last edited:

morris

Superstar
Daps
The trades are very hot still. If you have a good head on your shoulders and work hard you'll always have a job. But being in project management and seeing the internals....construction is definitely slowing down in 2024. Developers and investors have placed projects on hold due to interest rates. Residential construction will be the first to really slow down, followed by commercial. Public projects will be ongoing if not ramping up during the recession. If you can secure your job working as a trade on a public project you won't see any slow down.
you got a PMP?

I am looking to get into Digital PM which is vastly different from onsite construction/engineering PM gigs

King_Sage

All Star
Daps
it definitely feels like a drought cycle. Companies by and large are in an 'expense' year while they restructure from the 'soft landing' or quantitative tightening by the Fed. It'll hopefully be over by Q1 2024

edit, adding tips:
as a result, don't rely on the traditional avenues of applications. Do the research of who isn't in this cycle, apply directly to their site with a tailored resume with key words from the job description, leverage your network of folks that you may know..

Oldschooler

All Star
Daps
you got a PMP?

I am looking to get into Digital PM which is vastly different from onsite construction/engineering PM gigs
Yes i do it's not useful at all for construction. It's catered towards the traditional PMs in tech or corporate world. I recommend you get it if that's the field you're going for. Do some research on reddit and see what resources people who are passing are using.

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
If you got a job offer for a Blue collar job, TAKE IT

Blue collar jobs can be GOAT. I got a buddy who does maintenance for the city. Makes $38 an hour, gets a company car that he gets to take home, shift starts as soon as he turns the car on and if he doesn’t have any calls lined up, he’s chillin watching movies on his phone.

Always out and about. Not stuck in some cubicle. On some office space shyt.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Blue collar jobs can be GOAT. I got a buddy who does maintenance for the city. Makes $38 an hour, gets a company car that he gets to take home, shift starts as soon as he turns the car on and if he doesn’t have any calls lined up, he’s chillin watching movies on his phone.

Always out and about. Not stuck in some cubicle. On some office space shyt.
Yea the pay is not bad
No bullshyt I got a job offer for damn near 50 a hour, but that shyt was way in the boonies :picard: