Why don't Older Black folks share their past mistakes with the youth?

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
Yeah the economic and financial literacy related information is somewhat excusable. However, I'm talking about stuff like having a child or children with a trash dude that has been going on for generations and young girls still aren't being properly warned.
When it comes to that, my parents definitely warned me every way possible and from what I can recall, most parents of the kids that were my friends/associates tried to steer them correctly when it came to that kind of stuff. We just didn't listen

Last edited:

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
They did.

When is the last time you heard someone say "X told me to not to do Y. I did Y anyway and now I'm dealing with consequences I don't like".

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
They did.

When is the last time you heard someone say "X told me to not to do Y. I did Y anyway and now I'm dealing with consequences I don't like".
What were are saying is some of THOSE PEOPLE became parents and didn’t keep it real with their kids about their fukk ups

O_Cyrus

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Da Nappy
I was just having this discussion over the weekend and I feel these apply to adults across whether you are a parent or not as far as how children are viewing the information they get from you.

1. To often today, if people do not live an existence that is 100% "authentic" to the very letter of anything that they have said, especially if what they said was judgemental toward someone else, then they are considered a liar and any and everything they say and believe in does not matter. I think part of the problem is people today typically tend to look to nullify your opinion than to understand your opinion (and by understand I do not mean agree) and there is often a purposeful disregard of nuance. Nuance now is commonly used/accepted when it is beneficial to a person's argument otherwise things are seen in absolutes. You see it here. If person A says "In my day blah blah blah would not have happened", person B can pull up one instance of whatever happening during person A's time and now not only do they consider person A's opinion on the topic to be invalid it is then extrapolated out that person A is full of $hit across the board in anything and they get tuned out. Prime example, and I have seen it on here and on social media, women rappers and sexual/explicit lyrics. An oldhead will say you'd never hear something like that in our time. Inevitably someone pulls up some old timey single recorded in the 20's of a woman using sexually explicit lyrics in her song as a gotcha. If you weren't at a jook joint, or a house party the odds of you hearing that record were nill to none. It was not on the radio. It was not easily heard let alone by kids but nearly anyone without some sort of connection to the artist or where it was recorded. The point is not that the music did not exist but what was the ease of access to hearing that record. You weren't walking down the street and hearing it come from someone's house, you were not going to hear or see kids dancing around to it and you damn sure weren't going have kids listening to it with adults standing around or cheering them on. That is what person A meant and I am willing to bet person B knows that is what was meant but for the sake of nullifying that person's argument, and consequently any other argument that person makes that is the route they took. Because it now can be said "this is the same person that believed women in the 20s weren't making vulgar records" as a way to say they have no clue what they are talking about regarding anything.
2. Past generations, especially in the AA community, are seen as being far less competent by the younger generation and definitely seen as out of touch with the way the world works today. I have often heard, also on here, "Well if y'all were so smart, wise and had all the answers why aren't we in a better condition? Why are we fighting the same battles that you were fighting at my age?" Since that attitude is present the reverence is all but gone. Once the reverence is gone the opportunity to impart anything is damn near gone. You talk to a young adult about financial responsibility you better be doing it from the balcony of your mansion, or driving in your sports car or with latest in fashion or you are pretty much wasting your time because you clearly can't follow your own advice.
3. For boys, yes, a father 1000% percent increases the odds of that young man staying on a positive path. The problem often is that the bar that defines being on "a positive path" gets lowered and who is the father. I got young family members whose main source of income is selling weed (or at least that is what they fessed up to). Because no bs has come to their door, they haven't been arrested, they don't have babies this is considered a win. Given everything I know about them and the state of affairs for AA in this country...I don't agree but I understand why they think that.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People are too image obsessed these days. These kids aren't gonna listen to elders for wisdom sake but they will listen to rappers & online grifters all day an night on life advice as long as they are looking/playing the part of someone who has access to their dream IG lifestyle.

Andrew Tate has more pull on the youth than all of the mildly successful dudes on your block, more than all the dudes you know in happy marriages, more than the guys who have experience in the fields they want to go in

Because Tate poses with Lambos & whores

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Mixture of both young mfs don't wanna hear that shyt but at the same time, a lot of old heads were reared not to talk about their personal problems like that.

They take that shyt to the grave having only told maybe one or two people who then tell everyone else after that when the party who lived it passes away.

But by that time, we out here making our own mistakes, figuring it out.

Prob a lot of well kept jewels in dem graves 💎

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Joe Budden (the rapper) had one of my favorite quotes. Wasn’t even rapping he was just talking.

‘I ain’t one of them old heads start sitting you down and start givin you game. fukk Nggas’ :mjlol: :ahh:

If a youngin shows a thirst for knowledge yea that’s great but otherwise youngins are hard headed. I’m not wasting my breathe