Why don't Older Black folks share their past mistakes with the youth?

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
So what you’re saying is you don’t want advice you want to hear “how I fukked up” stories. Which leads to “why am I listening to this clown?”
Naw it’s just being real.

People don’t like to acknowledge this but the 20-30yr old who are running laps around their peers didn’t just get lucky. Someone sat them down and gave them the real about how the world works.

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
I know some elders can be condescending and uptight though so I can understand why the youth won’t ask em anything …

It’s not the way u say it, it’s how u say it.

Remember when Monique got at the kids for wearing bonnets??? She spoke like a concerned Auntie vs when how Bill Cosby made that Pound Cake speech that he made which came off as condescending despite his heart being in the right place.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
The older females speak on it A LOT

Young broads don't listen, don't want to listen.

These young boys been told to chill, for like DECADES.

They stay acting up anyway.

It is what it is.

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
I think some of the advice is bad, older does not = wiser

Older black women (and men to a lesser degree) have told the younger women to focus on education and money over getting into long term relationships.

I've heard women my age (family and friends) tell me that was the game they got from the elders :francis:. In a lot of ways people are raising themselves out here.
This is a great example I’ve noted myself, and a lot of other people said the same thing.

Black 20YO girls do NOT get the same message as White and Asian 20YO girls. :manny:

A lot of young Black men don’t, either. A lot of us are behind socially and economically because we aren’t raised to move the same way when we’re young.

That’s why people treat Black men like gods if they have a professional degree and no kids, while that isn’t considered special in other communities, and people act shocked when they encounter a young Black woman married to a successful man, because that isn’t supposed to be the game plan for us, while it’s expected that a white girl gets the happily ever after.

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
The older females speak on it A LOT

Young broads don't listen, don't want to listen.

These young boys been told to chill, for like DECADES.

They stay acting up anyway.

It is what it is.

Nooooow they are, on social media.

But these discussions weren’t happening in families.

Y’all, that’s why KS was so polarizing. He was saying things that women hadn’t heard from the older women in their families. If you’re from an affluent family you got the message, and other races as well, but most average, young Black women weren’t getting the message.

lib123

All Star
Daps
My mother and I had this conversation just 2 days ago. The older generations really didn't know many things of value to pass along that would push us ahead in the world. Their parents didn't know shyt about economics so they didn't know shyt. Like I told her, that's why I've taken the initiative to constantly learn and pass down the info to my mom and the rest of my family/friends, though most of the time they can care less about valuable information.

I was listening to the Black Information Network on the radio the other day and some economist was saying how the 1% is becoming afraid because minorities have all of the information to put us on a level playing field as them because we are in a world where all the same information is now available to everybody.

With that said, we have every opportunity to learn ANYTHING we want to learn so if we want anything to change for future generations it's going to be up to us to actually want to gain knowledge and pass it down to the youths

Yeah the economic and financial literacy related information is somewhat excusable. However, I'm talking about stuff like having a child or children with a trash dude that has been going on for generations and young girls still aren't being properly warned.

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
Teach them a fukking skill that involves mastery/managerial workings. Also, demonstrate.

“You twelve? When I was your age I was eleven” ass old head pontifications is not advice. Black boys need to be taught HARD SKILLS and cultural standards and self cultivation. You have to teach them as young as 3 years old, not when they already behaving a certain way.

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
Yeah the economic and financial literacy related information is somewhat excusable. However, I'm talking about stuff like having a child or children with a trash dude that has been going on for generations and young girls still aren't being properly warned.
^^^ exactly. There are a lot of social mistakes that can mess up your trajectory. Truth is if you fukk up scholastically and economically you can still fix that within 2-4 years and get yourself on track. Being drawn to negative traits and being tired to someone forever because of children you birthed/kids you have to support through child support is shyt that can be totally avoided.

That babymomma/babydaddy shyt is a cultural norm for us. That’s the issue.

Last edited:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Teach them a fukking skill that involves mastery/managerial workings. Also, demonstrate.

“You twelve? When I was your age I was eleven” ass old head pontifications is not advice. Black boys need to be taught HARD SKILLS and cultural standards and self cultivation. You have to teach them as young as 3 years old, not when they already behaving a certain way.
:pachaha:

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
For those lessons to be passed on you need three things: consistency, trust and discipline.

Consistency you establish by being there no matter what...which you don't get by just handing them smartphones and sending them to school to be baby-sat. You don't get consistency by not making them the priority, reading with them, or checking their homework, teaching them how to use and manage money, working out with them, teaching them to defend themselves, or worst of the worst...just leaving it all to their mothers. Trust flows from consistent discipline. When you've let enemies tell you that you can no longer discipline your children, of course those children will not trust you as their primary source of life lessons. Nor will they trust any extended family either, because they see you bickering as to what path to take in front of them and they know you can't communicate effectively nor resolve conflict with your own blood for anything. And that's a big if as to whether or not you make any effort to have extended family around in their lives in the first place. Who the heck would trust that when you clearly won't discipline yourself?

No consistency, no discipline, no trust, no exchange of experience, knowledge nor wisdom from either direction.

Humble yourself and smarten up.

BunchePark

Coli N Calisthenics
Daps
Reppin
Broward
all I do is share that I'm an ex felon on here who has got to the bag and continues to EAT

and I share it online you don't think I put real jits on out here? lol