Why don't Older Black folks share their past mistakes with the youth?

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Mixture of both young mfs don't wanna hear that shyt but at the same time, a lot of old heads were reared not to talk about their personal problems like that.

They take that shyt to the grave having only told maybe one or two people who then tell everyone else after that when the party who lived it passes away.

But by that time, we out here making our own mistakes, figuring it out.

Prob a lot of well kept jewels in dem graves đź’Ž
This is a lot of it too, especially men. Cats romanticize the "stoic man's man" of yesterday but that comes with a price. Their trauma and its lessons go unprofessed.

badboys11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
M
1 out of 50 young people will listen to you

Doesn't matter. U can have 20 years experience in the game and tell them everything you accomplished. They won't listen. Tell them they gonna be in a jail cell by the end of the night cause the cops won't let you work here, later that night I'm getting collect calls :snoop:

"I shoulda listened u tried to tell me"

They have to learn by making mistakes. They think nothing will happen to them and they're smarter than you cause they're gonna be millionaires before 30 :pachaha: and u still have a job at 40.

lib123

All Star
Daps
^^^ exactly. There are a lot of social mistakes that can mess up your trajectory. Truth is if you fukk up scholastically and economically you can still fix that within 2-4 years and get yourself on track. Being drawn to negative traits and being tired to someone forever because of children you birthed/kids you have to support through child support is shyt that can be totally avoided.

That babymomma/babydaddy shyt is a cultural norm for us. That’s the issue.

Yeah I think that's what's being missed in this thread by people saying they themselves or older people they know try to guide younger generations but they don't listen. Yeah a lot of older people promote staying in school, getting a good job, etc. But I rarely hear older generations telling the black youth to avoid becoming a BM/BD like the plague and how disruptive it is. As a young breh I was personally shocked to learn how old most dudes on here are given how often they scoff at condom usage. I'm sure most of those dudes aren't telling young men to wrap up.

Older generations need to tell black youth the reality like this:
But they won't, which baffles my mind. Besides going to prison, it's the most destructive thing you can do financially yet it remains a cultural staple of the community. A lot of people just think government benefits make it worthwhile but Texas, the south, Florida...you're not getting much of anything there. And that's where most black babies are being born.

OnlyOneBoss

Superstar
Daps
. A good example is a lot of dudes blaming young BW for choosing the wrong men based on superficial characteristics (eg height, swag, etc). If the older women admitted they were chasing the same types of men and doing so led to many of their current situations (eg single motherhood, never got married), we would see a lot less of that.

Speaking on this example only. I think because saying that would give truth to belief that black women do chase after men like that. Which they obvious don’t want to do.

And I think that feeds into the bigger overall point…they’re embarrassed and haven’t fully healed to the point where they can speak on it in a comfortable way (for them).

OnlyOneBoss

Superstar
Daps
Life would be so much easier if we listened to MOST of what the elders tried to tell us. Why? They already made the mistakes they see you about to make.

But na youth are invincible and know everything :manny:

A lil truth to this

Older dude at my job (white dude surprisingly) could see I was getting too close to this one girl and he told me I’m good at my job and that she seems like trouble/ a distraction

I didn’t listen (obviously) and got in some shyt and he had to vouch for my ass heavy.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Game teaches us that someone other than her prototype can slide up in there.

At the end of the day, she likes what she likes.

So the lesson is to not be there in the morning.

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
Truthfully...probably not. You'll see your parents as idiots who failed in life on the financial tip. You respect them as your parents, but as far as trusting what they say, it's very iffy.

It is important how the father hold his family together, but there's something even more important, the environment.

The environment can turn just about any child into a idiot.

I mean, I would see why they would tell you the importance so you DON'T end up like them. Hopefully doing something more fulfilling.

OnlyOneBoss

Superstar
Daps
Yeah I think that's what's being missed in this thread by people saying they themselves or older people they know try to guide younger generations but they don't listen. Yeah a lot of older people promote staying in school, getting a good job, etc. But I rarely hear older generations telling the black youth to avoid becoming a BM/BD like the plague and how disruptive it is. As a young breh I was personally shocked to learn how old most dudes on here are given how often they scoff at condom usage. I'm sure most of those dudes aren't telling young men to wrap up.

Older generations need to tell black youth the reality like this:

Breh fr

I got a home girl now who doesn’t have shyt going on in her life. No degree, got kicked out the military for weed. Just left her man in the Army (he was beating on her)

And she says her family is still on her ass about having a child soon. :gucci:

This woman just moved back from North Dakota with maybe a couple hundred dollars to her name why the fukk would she even be thinking about having a kid anytime soon?

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
But they do. The problem is that technology and culture moved so quickly, that the problems I faced will be drastically different from the problems my son faces and the problems I faced were drastically different from what my father faced.

Even where culture has not changed, the vehicle has changed and it’s harder to give advice. All of my uncles, my older brother, and my dad put me on all kinds of game, but a lot of it was outdated by the time it got to me, and I couldn’t translate it to current times (at the time). I look back at the things they were telling me and just laugh at how much i really didn’t understand.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
nikkas dont want to tell you shyt. The only reason black folks know how much high blood pressure, diabetes, hypertension, etc….will fukk you up is because of white people.

Black folks won’t tell you a cot damn thing. You never learn why a person died, all you get is a request for prayer then a mind your business.