Why don't Older Black folks share their past mistakes with the youth?

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
No real or consistent rights of passage anymore.

My OG's had stories for days, but I had to seek it out. They didn't readily make things known.

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps
Speaking on this example only. I think because saying that would give truth to belief that black women do chase after men like that. Which they obvious don’t want to do.

And I think that feeds into the bigger overall point…they’re embarrassed and haven’t fully healed to the point where they can speak on it in a comfortable way (for them).
But that’s the thing- most girls with raging hormones are drawn to that. Same way we have threads here with men saying they don’t care what Megan the Stallion etc got in their head as long as they look good. You have to have someone mature in your ear to guide you though those crazy moments in your youth.

White women are socialized to date strategically while they are young. Same for Asian women. The “Mrs Degree” didn’t come out of thin air. White ppl send their daughters to school to find a man who will be successful. Everyone who goes to white schools has stories about the wild shyt that happens. Their parents just whip them in gear and tell them to bring home a husband. Black folks tell their daughters to get an education because there won’t be a Black man coming to take care of you.

Then they get older and realize there were some dudes who would’ve been better options. 🤷🏾‍♀️
But- are there as many of those options around when we’re young (like the white and Asian girls) and is there an abundance of young Black men coming from households telling them to get married by 30?

Black folks had higher marriage rates than Whites back in the day, so OBVIOUSLY something happened to us.

If more older Black woken kept it real with young women, different decisions would be made while younger. We had the guidance and game plan up to the 60s/70s.

Last edited:

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
I don't expect my kids to live their lives based on my financial or career advice, as much of it wont age well. Telling someone to make a home budget or save for retirement isnt advice, its something you have to teach. When it comes to social advice, that shyt is universal. I can honestly say the dating and martial advice my parents told me from their lives in the late 1950s and early 60s is still relevant today. The old heads in my hood were always trying offer advice to the young boys. The Gen Xers like me that I know are trying to repeat it. Its has always come down to which young boys listen. Most young people arent willing to listen until they are knee deep in shyt. My wake up call was when my mother told me, " Ive already been where you are trying to go".

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
nikkas dont want to tell you shyt. The only reason black folks know how much high blood pressure, diabetes, hypertension, etc….will fukk you up is because of white people.

Black folks won’t tell you a cot damn thing. You never learn why a person died, all you get is a request for prayer then a mind your business.

:picard:

That's beyond fukked up.