Why does Ryse get hate for the same things the Uncharted series gets praised for?

Kodie

Pro
Daps
Haven't played Ryse. I didn't find gameplay of Uncharted 2 to be repetitive. Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 3 got kind of repetitive in places but U2 was GOTG tier and had me playing new set pieces at every turn.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Its like some people don't get the difference between something being of high quality and something being entertaining.

Let's give an example. Harry Potter movies. I watched the first one. It was of high quality. I found it boring and it wasn't entertaining to me . Same with Lord of The Rings. Neither are bad movies at all just boring to me but that doesn't change the fact that they're well done movies with good writing and stories.

Ryse can be a mediocre title that if you play it with an open mind and have already accepted it for what it is you can enjoy it and find entertainment outta it. even in an average game if you play it with an open mind you'll find likable things they did right in it.

The reality of it is this though. the only people defending the game at this point are known corporate apologist and defenders of Microsoft. people we know aren't gonna say anything too bad about the game in the first place. i'm eyeing copies on Craigslsit now. one is on there for $45 and if he comes down a lil bit i'll buy off him and form my own opinion of it. what's funny is the same people chastising others for speaking on a game they haven't played solely off the review scores will call something like Knack garbage because it got a 55 with them not even giving it that same fair shake.

Create your own story cause you disagree with the op brehs:heh:

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
Ryse is an empty action game that is just designed to be pretty and show off what the xbone is capable of. It doesn't have the presentation, memorable characters, incredible pacing, or exceptionally smooth gameplay that the Uncharted series is known and lauded for. Comparing the two is idiotic.

Ryse is garbage. I'm not going to front I was at a friends house the other day getting smacked and it was fun to play for a little bit but that's not something I want to sit down and invest hours into completing.

Don't feel bad because I feel the same way about Killzone shadowfall....TRASH. It's only better than Ryse because it has a pretty good multiplayer for people who are into that sort of thing.

Jax

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#Targset,#Heatgang,#Byrdgang
I can't believe this guy is really here saying Ryse is like uncharted... :wow:
Mods please close this thread it's embarrassing.
Meach having a mental breakdown.
iSgAL837wRpDr.gif

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
No they are not. They have absolutely NOTHING in common with GOW

Let me take another angle, since you said something earlier I wanted to address.

Can you describe, or provide a YT clip of a moment in Ryse that you felt was as epic as the train chase in UC2, or the sinking ship scenes in UC3? Were you ever in awe of environment, visuals, and overall production like most of us were for the opening scene in UC2 ... ship graveyard scene in UC3? Did you ever seriously fear for the protagonist's life even when there were no enemies on screen? There are just so many 'oh shyt' moments in UC, it made you feel like you were doing more than killing hordes of enemies. That's the main thing you either don't seem get ... or are conveniently ignoring. Uncharted had different elements of danger, and framed the acts in such a way that shooting people felt like just another aspect of the game. It didn't feel like what most reviewers are saying about Ryse: Hack and slash to kill some enemies, walk a few meters, and repeat. The scope of Drake's task, and all the insane shyt he did to find treasure is what people loved about that game. Ryse doesn't have that.

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
Let me take another angle, since you said something earlier I wanted to address.

Can you describe, or provide a YT clip of a moment in Ryse that you felt was as epic as the train chase in UC2, or the sinking ship scenes in UC3? Were you ever in awe of environment, visuals, and overall production like most of us were for the opening scene in UC2 ... ship graveyard scene in UC3? Did you ever seriously fear for the protagonist's life even when there were no enemies on screen? There are just so many 'oh shyt' moments in UC, it made you feel like you were doing more than killing hordes of enemies. That's the main thing you either don't seem get ... or are conveniently ignoring. Uncharted had different elements of danger, and framed the acts in such a way that shooting people felt like just another aspect of the game. It didn't feel like what most reviewers are saying about Ryse: Hack and slash to kill some enemies, walk a few meters, and repeat. The scope of Drake's task, and all the insane shyt he did to find treasure is what people loved about that game. Ryse doesn't have that.

midway through the train level in UC2 I literally had to pause the game and comprehend the amount of fun I was having :ohlawd:

If I have any complaint about the Uncharted series it's that the final bosses in all the games have been kinda weak.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Can you describe, or provide a YT clip of a moment in Ryse that you felt was as epic as the train chase in UC2, or the sinking ship scenes in UC3? Were you ever in awe of environment, visuals, and overall production like most of us were for the opening scene in UC2 ... ship graveyard scene in UC3? Did you ever seriously fear for the protagonist's life even when there were no enemies on screen? There are just so many 'oh shyt' moments in UC, it made you feel like you were doing more than killing hordes of enemies.
Yes. And that's exactly why I compared the games. They play out very similarly with the set pieces, pacing, cinematics, ect.

That's the main thing you either don't seem get ... or are conveniently ignoring. Uncharted had different elements of danger, and framed the acts in such a way that shooting people felt like just another aspect of the game. It didn't feel like what most reviewers are saying about Ryse: Hack and slash to kill some enemies, walk a few meters, and repeat. The scope of Drake's task, and all the insane shyt he did to find treasure is what people loved about that game. Ryse doesn't have that.
:ohhh: so you have played through Ryse?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Can you describe, or provide a YT clip of a moment in Ryse that you felt was as epic as the train chase in UC2, or the sinking ship scenes in UC3? Were you ever in awe of environment, visuals, and overall production like most of us were for the opening scene in UC2 ... ship graveyard scene in UC3? Did you ever seriously fear for the protagonist's life even when there were no enemies on screen? There are just so many 'oh shyt' moments in UC, it made you feel like you were doing more than killing hordes of enemies.
Yes. And that's exactly why I compared the games. They play out very similarly with the set pieces, pacing, cinematics, ect.

That's the main thing you either don't seem get ... or are conveniently ignoring. Uncharted had different elements of danger, and framed the acts in such a way that shooting people felt like just another aspect of the game. It didn't feel like what most reviewers are saying about Ryse: Hack and slash to kill some enemies, walk a few meters, and repeat. The scope of Drake's task, and all the insane shyt he did to find treasure is what people loved about that game. Ryse doesn't have that.
:ohhh: so you have played Ryse?

Last edited:

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps

NoMayo15 said:
:ohhh: so you have played Ryse?

Which scenes specifically can you recall?

VladTheImpaler

The Sensational Prince
Daps
Reppin
The Palace of Eternal Sun
Disclaimer: I'm not saying the games are equal. I'm not shytting on uncharted I'm just talking about the general concept of both games.

The uncharted series is all about spectacle, basically the experience of playing through a big budget Summer blockbuster action movie. And it was praised for this, the graphics and production of the game elevated it to be one of the best this gen.

Ryse is basically the same concept, but instead of a summer blockbuster it goes for a ancient warrior type of movie. There's no question that the graphics/production of this game is far beyond any game before it.

Some of the same criticisms can be aimed at both. Repetitive gameplay, the game is limited to small halways and arenas, not much explorations/puzzles. Limited weapon choices and combat options,ect

Why does Ryse not get at least some of the love that uncharted gets?

Disclaimer: I'm not saying the games are equal. I'm not shytting on uncharted I'm just talking about the general concept of both games.
:russ: