Why does Ryse get hate for the same things the Uncharted series gets praised for?

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
From 14:30 to 20:50

That's at the very beginning and there are more scenes there If you want to watch the full video.

Well that's cool, and I understand why some people like the game... the cutscenes and presentation are top notch. But I also understand why some people wanted more from the core gameplay. Uncharted differs because there's a wider variety when the player is interacting with the game. Sometimes you're shooting enemies, sometimes you're climbing a tower, sometimes you're being stealthy. Ultimately, the pacing of the game, and characters are what win out.

backbreaker65

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Passage of Time
Crytek hasn't made a good game since Crisis 1, and oh they just hired God of War: Asencion game director for a new unannounced game. Thread starter, you would have been better off saying why doesn't everyone like this game like I like it. Instead of the bullshyt caveats you're making.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Well that's cool, and I understand why some people like the game... the cutscenes and presentation are top notch. But I also understand why some people wanted more from the core gameplay. Uncharted differs because there's a wider variety when the player is interacting with the game. Sometimes you're shooting enemies, sometimes you're climbing a tower, sometimes you're being stealthy. Ultimately, the pacing of the game, and characters are what win out.

With Ryse there are sections of variety as well, it's not all hack and slash. And the variety/challenge in gameplay comes from perfecting the combat/executions which gives you points to upgrade your character and buy new moves.

You can put the game on easy and run through bashing the x button, but you would not get any sense of challenge or acheivment. Just like you can put uncharted on easy and run through mindlessly punching/shooting all the enemies.

Or you can take your time with both and learn the combat and actually try to play the game with some sense/strategy.

It seems like reviewers did the former with Ryse, and they did the later with uncharted.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
And once again, I'm not saying the games should be equal or that Ryse is as good as uncharted.

I'm just talking about the overall reception of the games. It seems like Ryse should get SOME of the love uncharted got for similar reasons.

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
With Ryse there are sections of variety as well, it's not all hack and slash. And the variety/challenge in gameplay comes from perfecting the combat/executions which gives you points to upgrade your character and buy new moves.

You can put the game on easy and run through bashing the x button, but you would not get any sense of challenge or acheivment. Just like you can put uncharted on easy and run through mindlessly punching/shooting all the enemies.

Or you can take your time with both and learn the combat and actually try to play the game with some sense/strategy.

It seems like reviewers did the former with Ryse, and they did the later with uncharted.

What variety? Using arrows or javelins to kill an enemy instead of your sword?

And once again, I'm not saying the games should be equal or that Ryse is as good as uncharted.

I'm just talking about the overall reception of the games. It seems like Ryse should get SOME of the love uncharted got for similar reasons.

But it was. Ryse was complimented on the things it got right, and criticized on what it got wrong. Most people felt it was beautiful, but also boring or monotonous. Uncharted just did a much better job at switching up it's gameplay elements.

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
What variety in uncharted? Using a pistol instead of a shotgun to kill enemies?

Climbing the side of a train about to fall off a cliff, escaping a sinking ship, hopping from moving truck to moving truck, killing enemies while trying to escape a burning building, stealthily sneaking around enemies to pull off some heist, hanging for dear life on the girders of destroyed boats ... I mean there are so many ways Uncharted dressed up its basic core gameplay mechanics so it wasn't boring. Ryse on the other hand didn't do it so well. You fight some enemies, walk through a forest where nothing exciting happens, another group of 5 enemies appear, walk a bit more, lackluster boss fight, repeat ad nauseum.

Why you think Microsoft's game got an unfair shake is really baffling

Nomad1

Tupac KONY and GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Disclaimer: I'm not saying the games are equal. I'm not shytting on uncharted I'm just talking about the general concept of both games.

The uncharted series is all about spectacle, basically the experience of playing through a big budget Summer blockbuster action movie. And it was praised for this, the graphics and production of the game elevated it to be one of the best this gen.

Ryse is basically the same concept, but instead of a summer blockbuster it goes for a ancient warrior type of movie. There's no question that the graphics/production of this game is far beyond any game before it.

Some of the same criticisms can be aimed at both. Repetitive gameplay, the game is limited to small halways and arenas, not much explorations/puzzles. Limited weapon choices and combat options,ect

Why does Ryse not get at least some of the love that uncharted gets?

Disclaimer: I'm not saying the games are equal. I'm not shytting on uncharted I'm just talking about the general concept of both games.
Are you really claiming that the Uncharted series is repetitive? Have you not played Uncharted 1, 2, and 3? It's far from repetitive. And its praise stems from the excellent character/character development and its story. Last I checked Ryse has amazing graphics but it has a lackluster characters, plot, and it has a repetitive hack and slash gameplay.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Climbing the side of a train about to fall off a cliff, escaping a sinking ship, hopping from moving truck to moving truck, killing enemies while trying to escape a burning building, stealthily sneaking around enemies to pull off some heist, hanging for dear life on the girders of destroyed boats ...
All of these moments were basically on rails, there was no strategy or decision making or challenge at all. You pressed forward on the controller and watched th pretty world blow up around you. Ryse has sections like this as well.
I mean there are so many ways Uncharted dressed up its basic core gameplay mechanics so it wasn't boring. Ryse on the other hand didn't do it so well. You fight some enemies, walk through a forest where nothing exciting happens, another group of 5 enemies appear, walk a bit more, lackluster boss fight, repeat ad nauseum.
:ohhh: so you have played through Ryse?

Why you think Microsoft's game got an unfair shake is baffling
Has nothing to do with Microsoft. I think halo gets the same type of passes from the media. I think it has more to do with the fact that the reviewers are subject to the same hype that we are browsing these forms/websites

Negativity has surrounded Ryse since it was revealed as a kinect game. Even though a lot of the criticisms have benn fixed, people keep repeating the same old stuff about the game, that just isn't true. If you read the reviews, anyone who said they actually tried to master the combat said they had a good time with the game. The rest of the reviewers seemed to be playing just to confirm the negative hype they read about the game.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Are you really claiming that the Uncharted series is repetitive? Have you not played Uncharted 1, 2, and 3? It's far from repetitive. And its praise stems from the excellent character/character development and its story. Last I checked Ryse has amazing graphics but it has a lackluster characters, plot, and it has a repetitive hack and slash gameplay.

Yes uncharted is repetitive from a gameplay standpoint. You shoot an arena full of eniemies, walk down a halway, traverse a couple jumps, watch a cutscene/set piece, rinse and repeat

And the story and characters in Ryse are very good, for the type of story it's telling. And the story matched with the gameplay a lot more than uncharted's gameplay does

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
All of these moments were basically on rails, there was no strategy or decision making or challenge at all. You pressed forward on the controller and watched th pretty world blow up around you. Ryse has sections like this as well.

:ohhh: so you have played through Ryse?

Has nothing to do with Microsoft. I think halo gets the same type of passes from the media. I think it has more to do with the fact that the reviewers are subject to the same hype that we are browsing these forms/websites

Negativity has surrounded Ryse since it was revealed as a kinect game. Even though a lot of the criticisms have benn fixed, people keep repeating the same old stuff about the game, that just isn't true. If you read the reviews, anyone who said they actually tried to master the combat said they had a good time with the game. The rest of the reviewers seemed to be playing just to confirm the negative hype they read about the game.

Okay....

333.gif

Nomad1

Tupac KONY and GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Yes uncharted is repetitive from a gameplay standpoint. You shoot an arena full of eniemies, walk down a halway, traverse a couple jumps, watch a cutscene/set piece, rinse and repeat
Lmao. Gameplay wise Uncharted is diverse and more so than Ryse. Ryse is a complete Hack n Slash gameplay with no form of diversity.