Why does Ryse get hate for the same things the Uncharted series gets praised for?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
that sounds a little better, but IMO there should be a more harsh consequence for hitting the wrong buttons. but then that would really seem like a QTE, and that's partly why I think they may have changed things because of the backlash

From my normal expectations of games i agree with you, there should be more of a consequence. But hearing their explanation I think they achieved their goals perfectly.

The thing people don't like about QTE's is that they take you out of the action. You fail one and you get a loading screen, or your character just stops In his tracks. This can lead to frustration, and for a game that's trying to provide a cinematic experience, it can really mess up the immersion if you have to keep trying over and over again to get a button prompt correct.

This way you stay immersed in the action, yet you still have to be mindful of your button presses or you will not survive.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
From my normal expectations of games i agree with you, there should be more of a consequence. But hearing their explanation I think they achieved their goals perfectly.

The thing people don't like about QTE's is that they take you out of the action. You fail one and you get a loading screen, or your character just stops In his tracks. This can lead to frustration, and for a game that's trying to provide a cinematic experience, it can really mess up the immersion if you have to keep trying over and over again to get a button prompt correct.

This way you stay immersed in the action, yet you still have to be mindful of your button presses or you will not survive.

I think if you hit the wrong button, or don't hit a button, it should make the enemy block or parry your strike

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I think if you hit the wrong button, or don't hit a button, it should make the enemy block or parry your strike

That wouldn't work in the context of the executions. The first blow is the killing blow so it wouldn't make sense for them to sidestep or block you after you already cut off their arm or slashed their throat.

chico25

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That wouldn't work in the context of the executions. The first blow is the killing blow so it wouldn't make sense for them to sidestep or block you after you already cut off their arm or slashed their throat.

I know you don't want to hear this but the more you describe the game the more it sounds like God of war. You keep insisting that the two are nothing alike, so can you explain some ways they are different.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I know you don't want to hear this but the more you describe the game the more it sounds like God of war. You keep insisting that the two are nothing alike, so can you explain some ways they are different.

Nah god of war plays very differently.

In god of war your combat success relies on twitch skills and your ability to input combos. The combat in Ryse is all about timing and spacing.

ChrisDorner

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hell
He can deny all he wants but the game is CLEARLY influenced by god of war.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I played a bit of Ryse today and the game is crap. The graphics are lovely at 1080p 60FPS on my PC but the gameplay is boring and tedious. I can't believe people were praising this game. So far the story is nothing to write home about either. I had to stop playing it now because the gameplay was just that boring. I'd liken it to being trapped in a conversation with a person you don't really want to talk to and you keep looking for an exit. I hope it auto-saves because I just quit on it a minute ago.

Also I'm convinced the executions don't matter if you push the buttons at the colored prompts or not. Seem like the game still does them regardless.