Why does DC keep trying to push Cyborg???

Is Cyborg the worst black comic book character of all time?

• Total voters

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Neither was Gambit, but I bet you he's one of the first characters people think of when they think "The X-Men" thanks to the old cartoon.

Robin is far and away the most popular Titan, but the others (Beast Boy, Raven, Starfire, and yes, Cyborg) are just as linked to that brand as he is. They are THE Teen Titans to at least two generations of fans, and the Teen Titans are one of DC's more popular brands. Cyborg simply has eclipsed Static at this point, as much as some would rather that not be the case.

Thanks to multiple cartoons, and myriad of games he's appeared in as well. And Gambit isn't the xmen, he's just one of the ones that are remembered amongst the others. How often do you think cyborg would be brought up if people were to ask the first thing you think of when you think teen Titans? Statics name is at this point synonymous with his TV show to the point that most people think his name is static shock.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
:stopitslime: Please. nikkas was not on this massive "Hate Cyborg" train until he started getting pushed. Before that, most people either liked him or were indifferent to him. But since he took a "job" from some other character you like more, he's worse than the plague now.

It's dumb as hell. Cyborg gets pushed because kids like him and he's more popular than most of the characters yall can name. Acting like he's suddenly the worst character in comics isn't going to change that.

:heh: back when the character got pushed, many of us same posters were in another thread wondering why was he getting pushed.

If a character gets pushed and nobody really liked them in the first place, that's just more eyes on a character folks were already apathetic about.

It's like Carol. No one can say folks didnt start hating her until this push. We hated her anyway. Which is why... like Cyborg, the last push failed.

reigun

Superstar
Daps
Thanks to multiple cartoons, and myriad of games he's appeared in as well. And Gambit isn't the xmen, he's just one of the ones that are remembered amongst the others. How often do you think cyborg would be brought up if people were to ask the first thing you think of when you think teen Titans? Statics name is at this point synonymous with his TV show to the point that most people think his name is static shock.
Pretty damn often lol. Like how is this even a debate? Cyborg is one of the five main characters of both shows who was featured in damn near every episode. He was in the Justice League movie. He's been in the DC animated movies recently and both Injustice games. Static, by comparison, has a minor role in Young Justice and his show that stopped airing 14 years ago. Your last point even works against you; people are so unfamiliar with Static and his remember so little about his show they can't say his damn name right. lol

For the record, I like Static more than Cyborg. But the facts are the facts. Cyborg is more popular character than Static and will likely continue to be so until the legal stuff with Milestone gets sorted out and the powers that be can start doing big projects with the latter again. It is what it is.

:heh: back when the character got pushed, many of us same posters were in another thread wondering why was he getting pushed.

If a character gets pushed and nobody really liked them in the first place, that's just more eyes on a character folks were already apathetic about.

It's like Carol. No one can say folks didnt start hating her until this push. We hated her anyway. Which is why... like Cyborg, the last push failed.
If you honestly think Cyborg hate was anywhere to the level it is now back when he was first added to the JLA, then idk what to tell you. That wasn't at all what I saw, but I ain't about to argue it.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Pretty damn often lol. Like how is this even a debate? Cyborg is one of the five main characters of both shows who was featured in damn near every episode. He was in the Justice League movie. He's been in the DC animated movies recently and both Injustice games. Static, by comparison, has a minor role in Young Justice and his show that stopped airing 14 years ago. Your last point even works against you; people are so unfamiliar with Static and his remember so little about his show they can't say his damn name right. lol

For the record, I like Static more than Cyborg. But the facts are the facts. Cyborg is more popular character than Static and will likely continue to be so until the legal stuff with Milestone gets sorted out and the powers that be can start doing big projects with the latter again. It is what it is.

If you honestly think Cyborg hate was anywhere to the level it is now back when he was first added to the JLA, then idk what to tell you. That wasn't at all what I saw, but I ain't about to argue it.

people were calling him by that for years. this isnt some new revelation.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

:mjlol:more people see the character so more people dont like him.

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
No..... OP made the thread cuz he's a ....

*dust off DC stans book of whines, complaints, and inferior complex paranoia theories/conspiracies*

He's a Marvel Stan, he's a DC hater, he's bias and just wanted to hold down and shyt on DC for the sake of hating DC.

He also aint a true comic book fan and don't know shyt about the DC comics and never read the Grant Morrison Doom Patrol comics; Volume 2, Part 2, starting with Issue # 19 after he replaced Kuppperburg who did the first 18 issues:troll:

Martha
I'm not a Stan :stopitslime:

My favorite comic book character is not from Marvel or DC

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I'm not a Stan :stopitslime:

My favorite comic book character is not from Marvel or DC
giphy.gif

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
He was one of the best things about the Justice League movie :yeshrug:

They need to make one of the Migos Static Shock and give him justice. :wow:

reigun

Superstar
Daps
The biggest problem with Cyborg is that DC is obsessed with making him the morose, depressing, "muh humanity!" sad sack of a character he was for decades instead of just making him be the cartoon version in everything. That's the Cyborg everyone likes best: the fun loving goofball who cracks jokes, yells "Boo-Yah!", pigs out on burgers, and is a genius and leader in his own right. Yes, cartoon Cyborg also struggled with his humanity, but it wasn't his entire character. He would have loved to be human again, but since that wasn't possible, he made the most of his situation and found joy in life regardless.

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
If it's diversity they are going for (and they are) there are better choices than Cyborg. I can see why they wouldn't put the spotlight on John Stewart though since I'm sure they'd rather have Hal Jordan be known in the mainstream as THE Green Lantern. I think Vixen, Mr. Terrific and Black Lightning would be way better choices than Cyborg if you're looking for AA character in Justice League media. Plus, the DCEU design is terrible.

I've only liked Cyborg as a (Teen) Titan. I've never bought him as a top-tier DC character. I mean, the guy's name is CYBORG. How generic can you get?

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If it's diversity they are going for (and they are) there are better choices than Cyborg. I can see why they wouldn't put the spotlight on John Stewart though since I'm sure they'd rather have Hal Jordan be known in the mainstream as THE Green Lantern. I think Vixen, Mr. Terrific and Black Lightning would be way better choices than Cyborg if you're looking for AA character in Justice League media. Plus, the DCEU design is terrible.

I've only liked Cyborg as a (Teen) Titan. I've never bought him as a top-tier DC character. I mean, the guy's name is CYBORG. How generic can you get?

that's the thing that lets you know he was pushed as their Iron Man/EthnicTech attention grab. SO many other better choices that they've had bubbling under the A+ level for a while.

BUt he only works as part of Titans ensemble... because he was made specifically to fill that spot. Other folks, Nightwing, Wally, Tim Drake, Changeling (to an extent), weren't.

Even in JLA, he's... sort of just there. He doesn't belong there.

Like I was telling somebody last night, not everybody can go from drummer to megastar like Phil Collins.

edit: Changeling = Beast Boy :francis: