Why does DC keep trying to push Cyborg???

Is Cyborg the worst black comic book character of all time?

• Total voters

Able Archer 83

Two Minutes to Midnight
Daps
Reppin
My view of DC's rationale is this: they probably see black characters as inherently threatening to their audience. I mean, before Cyborg, their most notable original black superhero was Tyroc, a violent racial seperatist (John Stewart was kind of a legacy character, whose identity was ultimately subsumed under the Green Lantern label). Cyborg, on the other hand, is "safe", because his struggle is not against racial prejudice, or any other actual real-world issues, it's against standard transhumanist concerns. You could switch out Cyborg's race--make him Chinese, Urdu, whatever--and the central struggle of the character would remain the same. Essentially, Cyborg allows them to have their cake and eat it, too. They get to check off a diversity box without actually having to create an actual representative character.

That's my view, anyway.

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows

That ether:damn:

Martha
What pissed me off the most is he didn’t say ‘Boo-yah’ til the last damn scene of the movie!!! And it was no excitement behind it :damn: I was rooting for him!!!

:leon: But this new Cyborg fine af

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Probably pretty far. Static was popular, but I think it's not crazy to say Teen Titans (both OG and Go) far surpass it in terms of brand awareness.

maybe, but cyborg isnt standing alone or even the most recognizable character on the show. its not like hes such an outstanding character that hes the main character bring in viewers

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
They're using a different actor for the Doom Patrol show. That's why OP made this thread. :what:

No..... OP made the thread cuz he's a ....

*dust off DC stans book of whines, complaints, and inferior complex paranoia theories/conspiracies*

He's a Marvel Stan, he's a DC hater, he's bias and just wanted to hold down and shyt on DC for the sake of hating DC.

He also aint a true comic book fan and don't know shyt about the DC comics and never read the Grant Morrison Doom Patrol comics; Volume 2, Part 2, starting with Issue # 19 after he replaced Kuppperburg who did the first 18 issues:troll:

Martha

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
":sadcam: Marvel's pushing diversity, these ethnic geniuses and Iron Man is popular as shyt! They KILLING us sales and movie wise!

We GOTTA figure out how to tap this hot niche market! But how? How!?

:gladbron: WAIT I GOT AN IDEA!"

reigun

Superstar
Daps
maybe, but cyborg isnt standing alone or even the most recognizable character on the show. its not like hes such an outstanding character that hes the main character bring in viewers
Neither was Gambit, but I bet you he's one of the first characters people think of when they think "The X-Men" thanks to the old cartoon.

Robin is far and away the most popular Titan, but the others (Beast Boy, Raven, Starfire, and yes, Cyborg) are just as linked to that brand as he is. They are THE Teen Titans to at least two generations of fans, and the Teen Titans are one of DC's more popular brands. Cyborg simply has eclipsed Static at this point, as much as some would rather that not be the case.
:what:. Because he sucks.

What part of this is not clear?
:stopitslime: Please. nikkas was not on this massive "Hate Cyborg" train until he started getting pushed. Before that, most people either liked him or were indifferent to him. But since he took a "job" from some other character you like more, he's worse than the plague now.

It's dumb as hell. Cyborg gets pushed because kids like him and he's more popular than most of the characters yall can name. Acting like he's suddenly the worst character in comics isn't going to change that.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
No..... OP made the thread cuz he's a ....

*dust off DC stans book of whines, complaints, and inferior complex paranoia theories/conspiracies*

He's a Marvel Stan, he's a DC hater, he's bias and just wanted to hold down and shyt on DC for the sake of hating DC.

He also aint a true comic book fan and don't know shyt about the DC comics and never read the Grant Morrison Doom Patrol comics; Volume 2, Part 2, starting with Issue # 19 after he replaced Kuppperburg who did the first 18 issues:troll:

Martha
I don't know jack shyt about OP. I just saw cats hating on Cyborg in the DP thread. Figured that's where the origins of this thread came from.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:stopitslime: Please. nikkas was not on this massive "Hate Cyborg" train until he started getting pushed. Before that, most people either liked him or were indifferent to him. But since he took a "job" from some other character you like more, he's worse than the plague now.

It's dumb as hell. Cyborg gets pushed because kids like him and he's more popular than most of the characters yall can name. Acting like he's suddenly the worst character in comics isn't going to change that.

No. Cyborg sucks.

I'll just copy and paste what I said the last time this topic came up.

TSC brehs will get the reference, but Cyborg is the Apollo Crews of superheroes.

The only time I've seen Cyborg have a personality is when he's portrayed by Khary Payton or Bumper Robinson in the cartoons and games. In the comics, he's just lame as shyt.

In Justice League, his character is "I'm Batman's supercomputer. "

In Teen Titans, his character was "I'm team dad. Must. Eat. Protein. Paste."

His solo runs are all about his daddy issues and "finding his humanity." :yawn:

The only thing that's changed since then is that Cyborg is at least somewhat tolerable in Justice League Odyssey.