Why Do You Think The Beatles Legacy Has Endured But Elvis’ Has Waned?

Swahili P'Bitek

Absorbingpovertywithoutlimitations
Daps
Reppin
Mtaani
The Motown era created modern music.
Its too historically inaccurate to ever pin point a musical genre to one person/label/band. There are people who push genres forward and some who even create new genres, but all that comes from within a culture they belong to. Even James brown, the greatest musical artist of the 20th century impact wise, had influences that some people who claim"beatles invented modern music" don't know about from his own culture that came before him.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
This is what I'm saying, the trajectory of many of the genres we enjoy today doesn't change much without the beatles, they were not the genesis of any specific genre, but beneficiaries of genres that existed + their ingenuity. Rock and roll existed prior to them, so did the blues, jazz soul, funk, its better you say they changed how music was recorded but invented modern music? Come on you can't defend that statement. Its like saying Dr. Dre invented hip hop because he changed how hip hop albums were produced in terms of interpolations and live instrumentation. Its disgusting and disrespectful.
This is highly debatable because they arguably made heavy metal in Helter Skelter, created the concept album in Sgt. Pepper, created sampling, popularized the album as an artistic format to the point where in the 70's Led Zeppelin with their debut album was saying,"buy our album to hear our music, we aren't releasing a single" where rock bands were anti-single and pro-album. They popularized the album into making it an artistic endeavor, where the album was as important as touring. They also were among the pioneers of psychedelic rock.

Look at this shyt, they were high as fukk and making avante garde rock music in the 60's when everyone else had a good, family values image.

Watch the video for Strawberry Fields.

Listen to other 60's music. There was nothing else like this at the time. Even this video itself. Beatles practically made the music video.

Bro, you're under estimating their impact. :francis:

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
Its too historically inaccurate to ever pin point a musical genre to one person/label/band. There are people who push genres forward and some who even create new genres, but all that comes from within a culture they belong to. Even James brown, the greatest musical artist of the 20th century impact wise, had influences that some people who claim"beatles invented modern music" don't know about from his own culture that came before him.
You're correct but it still makes The Simpsons comparison used earlier in the thread to be apt. The Simpsons was predated by shows like The Jetsons and The Flintstones which were inspired by shows like The Honeymooners but even then as far as animation comedy in America The Simpsons is still the blueprint even though shows came before or contributed to helping things get to that point. Even outside the confines of animation The Simpsons (alongside Married with Children) popularized the idea of the imperfect family in American tv which helped the creation of shows like Breaking Bad and The Sopranos due to the doors opened by The Simpsons. It was that influential even if others were doing similar things before it. Both can be true.

Swahili P'Bitek

Absorbingpovertywithoutlimitations
Daps
Reppin
Mtaani
This is highly debatable because they arguably made heavy metal in Helter Skelter, created the concept album in Sgt. Pepper, created sampling, popularized the album as an artistic format to the point where in the 70's Led Zeppelin with their debut album was saying,"buy our album to hear our music, we aren't releasing a single" where rock bands were anti-single and pro-album. They popularized the album into making it an artistic endeavor, where the album was as important as touring. They also were among the pioneers of psychedelic rock.

Look at this shyt, they were high as fukk and making avante garde rock music in the 60's when everyone else had a good, family values image.

Watch the video for Strawberry Fields.

Listen to other 60's music. There was nothing else like this at the time. Even this video itself. Beatles practically made the music video.

Bro, you're under estimating their impact. :francis:

Inventing modern music was the argument. I never underestimated their influence, its just that somebody else overestimated it. Blues musicians had rougher images than even, I don't have to speak on that, if you listen to music you already know. Saying an English band invented modern music when 80% of modern music's origins is north america is a bit funny style. Rock and roll, jazz, blues, country, rhumba, hip hop, rnb, house, disco, dancehall, reggae, pop etc are from that place. Say they helped revolutionize, but invent modern music, come on.
Jazz musicians had sonical concept albums as well, but we can't get into that too.

Unbothered

ELEVATING to HIGHER LEVELS with POSITIVE VIBES ✨
Daps
Reppin
'Cuse, New York
Well for the past 40-50 years Elvis has been rightfully so exposed as a musical fraud. It's well established and acknowledged that everybody is aware of him stealing music, and piggybacking off Black artists of his era to appeal to Jim Crow era racist white folks, who were too ashamed to admit they liked the sound of Black music.

Hell, in retrospect Elvis wasn't even all that popular back then either.

The Beatles are the complete opposite.

They're more original, talented and influential to certain extents.

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
The Elvis slander in this thread. :picard: Was he a weirdo groomer that copied superior Black artists? Yep. Are we gonna deny my mans had pipes? Nah nah we not doing that.

The ironic part is that Elvis on multiple occasions said he got a large part of his swag and influence from the African American artists/people he grew up around/listened to. But the white majority would just ignore it and claim he "created rock" and all that :francis: . This song is also a blassic.

Daps
Reppin
prosper any where on earth
The Beatles impact was song writing and music video creation and riddle type lyricism

The Beatles are the most covered group ever

Elvis was a beat biter, rhyme style taker, lol :russ:

MJ smashed his daughter as chess a move

to show he crushed the buildings and took over the kings castle :shaq:

Lootha VanDraws

'The Night I Fell in Love' is the GOAT R&B album
Daps
While true, I've listened to original Beatles vinyls and it still proves to be true.
I did get your general point though, and I mostly agree. I think the thing that makes the Beates so enduring in modern music is that they were for the most part, the first "do-it-yourself" garage band. They were a group of friends who got together, not at the behest of a record label, and wrote/ performed their own songs (along with popular covers), which was not really done at the time, and played their own instruments (and got better at them as time went on).

I think their enduring contribution to music is song-writing and inspiring countless other bands to approach making music the way they did.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
I did get your general point though, and I mostly agree. I think the thing that makes the Beates so enduring in modern music is that they were for the most part, the first "do-it-yourself" garage band. They were a group of friends who got together, not at the behest of a record label, and wrote/ performed their own songs (along with popular covers), which was not really done at the time, and played their own instruments (and got better at them as time went on).

I think their enduring contribution to music is song-writing and inspiring countless other bands to approach making music the way they did.
True and also the stuff I posted are also modern remasters and they still sound less full compared to the Beatles.

Daps
Reppin
prosper any where on earth

The Beatles were the first mega "Boy Band" they were cut up and imaged as these cute boys for sale. (They have a album named Beatles for sale)

after their manager "died" they ended up being who they really wanted to be. That's why they quit,

John lennon said it himself. "After Brian [Epstein] died, we collapsed. Paul took over and supposedly led us. But what is leading us, when we went round in circles? We broke up then. That was the disintegration.”

I will say this the beatles was led by John and paul stepped up and it was over lol

Them albums from 67-70, you can hear the decline between the great team song writing.

what's amazing george saved their asses on abby road.

Paul and John had no super great single on that album.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
Inventing modern music was the argument. I never underestimated their influence, its just that somebody else overestimated it. Blues musicians had rougher images than even, I don't have to speak on that, if you listen to music you already know. Saying an English band invented modern music when 80% of modern music's origins is north america is a bit funny style. Rock and roll, jazz, blues, country, rhumba, hip hop, rnb, house, disco, dancehall, reggae, pop etc are from that place. Say they helped revolutionize, but invent modern music, come on.
Jazz musicians had sonical concept albums as well, but we can't get into that too.
That's a fair argument and one I can agree with. I interpret that post with the way modern music sounds and the increase in the album as a viable artistic venture for artists. Good talk.

Lootha VanDraws

'The Night I Fell in Love' is the GOAT R&B album
Daps
You didn’t know who les Paul was until you did some googles a second ago, I was deliberate with my words when I said popularized
Sure thing, kiddo. And you're still wrong even saying popularized.