Why do people hardly do pullups or dips

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
That's damn near the same as mine. I do 4x tho just to get extra tricep pumps.
I wish I could but I’d have to cut out something else or increase my reps. I bang out the Roman chair knee and leg raise 15, 3x and after dips.

Then 13, 3x pull-ups of variety. 10, 3x Deadlifts and 5, 5x barbell squats. All this must be done within 45-50 minutes depending on how long I have to wait and 15 minutes of full body stretching.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Cause them muafukkas hard :damn:
Well at least pull ups for me. Can hit 8 but only on close grip. Wide grip hit like 3-4.
Dips i can knock out 15 + if i want

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
It's truly a "manly" exercise. The act of doing them, the feeling you get after finishing, the results....

As other posters stated, any nikka can lay on a bench and do presses all day long. But most of them cats can barely do 2 chin-ups. That's a fact.

Last edited:

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’ve always been able to do pull ups (sets of 4 x 10 anytime after age 16-17) but a few years ago I realized my weight (215lbs) put too much pressure on my shoulders and wrists. I’m over 30 now and don’t have the time to be injured from working out

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
Think I said in here few years ago, as a man you should be able to pull and push your own bodyweight
:ufdup:

Apart from just keeping at it, anyone struggling try this - Tip: Do the Russian Fighter Pull-Up Program | T Nation

Its very good, I done it with weights, found out about it from Joe Rogan who mentioned Pavel Tsatsouline and his podcast with Tim Ferris. That Pavel guy dropped a lot of knowledge, def worth having a listen to the show too.

Creflo ½ Dollar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GA
I do pull-ups but they hard on my joints and my pecs.. I can knock out 10 close and about 8 wide at a time. After I do them my elbows hurt. Maybe I’m just too heavy:yeshrug:. My goal is to do one muscleup this year tho:wow:. I remember one day I was in the gym I seen a breh that had to be 200-215 do like 8 straight:picard:

I can do about 25-30 dips straight if I’m fresh but I usually superset dips with stuff so I do like 12reps at a time.

But yea if you dnt have an injury no reason for you not to be able to do dips and pull-ups.

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
I do pull-ups but they hard on my joints and my pecs.. I can knock out 10 close and about 8 wide at a time. After I do them my elbows hurt. Maybe I’m just too heavy:yeshrug:. My goal is to do one muscleup this year tho:wow:. I remember one day I was in the gym I seen a breh that had to be 200-215 do like 8 straight:picard:

I can do about 25-30 dips straight if I’m fresh but I usually superset dips with stuff so I do like 12reps at a time.

But yea if you dnt have an injury no reason for you not to be able to do dips and pull-ups.

Most likely due to proper form

Creflo ½ Dollar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GA
Most likely due to proper form

I doubt that. Pull-ups can be done a variety of ways. Close to wide. Under hand, Over hand. I dnt see how improper form can cause the elbow pain. I dnt even know if you can have improper form on a pull-up lol. I been doing pull-ups for years.

You Win Perfect

bow down
Daps
It's truly a "manly" exercise. The act of doing them, the feeling you get after finishing, the results....

As other posters stated, any nikka can lay on a bench and do presses all day long. But most of them cats can barely do 2 chin-ups. That's a fact.
um different muscles required? lol. bench and chin up are not related.

You Win Perfect

bow down
Daps
I doubt that. Pull-ups can be done a variety of ways. Close to wide. Under hand, Over hand. I dnt see how improper form can cause the elbow pain. I dnt even know if you can have improper form on a pull-up lol. I been doing pull-ups for years.
i don't think you are activating enough of your back (lifting more with your arms) and putting too much strain on your elbows. so you most likely are doing them improperly
i do weighted pull ups with 90lbs extra and i weigh 180 as it is and never had problems with elbows.