Why Did Dreamcast flop?

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
SNES was the GOAT...Sega Genesis is def up there too tho...the other shyt they was doin like Sega CD and 32X n shyt like that..it was all gimmick shyt that had little support and and failed quick...also terribly priced..there was nothing groundbreaking about Sega Saturn...I don't know where u got that from..lol...the Saturn WAS better at rendering 2D games than the PlayStation tho...but since the genre moved into 3D it wasn't gonna save it...cause 3D wise it was damn near an atrocious nightmare to develop for cause it was a pure last minute tacked on feature....there's a reason why there's STILL no Sega Saturn emulation....Dreamcast was just beautiful and ahead of it's time...

meh. SNES was kid chit in comparison to genesis. I never rocked with SNES. not taking anything away from it, but nah.

honestly, I never played sega Saturn. I just remember niccas ridin for it in '97 when a lot of people were switching to the 32-bit systems or whatever you wanna call it.

yea, dreamcast was a big deal. it used to pack houses those first couple years it was out. I didn't even have the system but I made sure I played it on the reg. I even remember the release date: 9/9/99 and a bunch of the games that launched with it. its like the video equivalent of a deceased rapper that was about to blow.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
meh. SNES was kid chit in comparison to genesis. I never rocked with SNES. not taking anything away from it, but nah.

honestly, I never played sega Saturn. I just remember niccas ridin for it in '97 when a lot of people were switching to the 32-bit systems or whatever you wanna call it.

yea, dreamcast was a big deal. it used to pack houses those first couple years it was out. I didn't even have the system but I made sure I played it on the reg. I even remember the release date: 9/9/99 and a bunch of the games that launched with it. its like the video equivalent of a deceased rapper that was about to blow.

The fact that u said SNES was kid shyt compared to Genesis let's me know u trippin and anyone who's into games will tell u that regardless if they liked Sega more or not....i literally had a couple hundred games between the 2 systems i know all too well fam and u straight buggin...Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat 2 ALONE shyts on that argument..I'm not even gonna name the COUNTLESS GOAT titles that dropped on that system...and u WAS a kid..u talkin like u was grown or some shyt..lol..and son Saturn was fukked from jump...Dreamcast was great..but Sega fukked themselves too much by the time it dropped...

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
dreamcast had some great games and was innovative too. sonic, shenmue, crazy taxi, shoot i even loved playing Tokyo extreme racing back when street racing was starting to get popular. true that Sony came thru and crushed them. but it also didn't help that the games were being bootlegged and we were copping them for the low back then. knew one cat that was straight hustling them back in high school. :manny:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
One of the GOAT systems. :salute:

The main reasons it died relatively early are:

1. Ridiculous amount of PS2 hype had a lot of people waiting for that rather than copping DC

2. Games were stupid easy to bootleg, so people weren't buying them. I remember a grocery store in my hood used to sell bootleg DC games for like $10.

3. No DVD player

4. Sega was already in a bad position financially

Still, on a personal level it might be my favorite console of all time. Anybody remember the VMU?

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin

1. Ridiculous amount of PS2 hype had a lot of people waiting for that rather than copping DC

2. Games were stupid easy to bootleg, so people weren't buying them. I remember a grocery store in my hood used to sell bootleg DC games for like $10.

3. No DVD player

Still, on a personal level it might be my favorite console of all time. Anybody remember the VMU?
I still use VMU when I play the system..lol

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere

3. No DVD player

Nintendo is just figuring out that type of tech right now. shyt would show stats during Ready to Rumble and 2K games like timeouts, had mini games for sonic, and so on.

The games still hold up today. I throw mine on every once and awhile. Too many good times for me to sell.

Chill

carti stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Junipero

3. No DVD player

I remember having to take care of my Chao on the VMU in Sonic Adventure like it was a little tamogatchi toy :wow:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
The fact that u said SNES was kid shyt compared to Genesis let's me know u trippin and anyone who's into games will tell u that regardless if they liked Sega more or not....i literally had a couple hundred games between the 2 systems i know all too well fam and u straight buggin...Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat 2 ALONE shyts on that argument..I'm not even gonna name the COUNTLESS GOAT titles that dropped on that system...and u WAS a kid..u talkin like u was grown or some shyt..lol..and son Saturn was fukked from jump...Dreamcast was great..but Sega fukked themselves too much by the time it dropped...

yea, snes was kid chit in comparison tho. theres a reason why genesis was generally the system of choice amongst adults & teens.

im not gonna hold you tho. im a sports-priority gamer. I played a lot of the other chit too. PLENTY OF IT. but most of the non-sports games were side-chit on the agenda. with that said, genesis blew SNES out-the-water.

hell, the main reason I got it was prolly because my pops might've wanted me to keep up with my teammates who were mostly 2-3 years older and in middle school. lol. these were like my main peers tho. more importantly, my pops fell in love when he saw the trailer for "super high impact football".

im not arguing about sega Saturn. never played it. never wanted it neither. i just remember dudes riding for it heavy in '97. pretty much all of them were people that had got Saturn for Christmas, so i pretty much took it with a grain of salt anyway.

Dank Hill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
man I loved my dreamcast as a kid. Any game I wanted I just downloaded and burned directly to a cd-r and life was all good.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Bootlegging is actually a VERY big part of it. They sold consoles...just not games...and bailed.

Agreed.

I actually knew a LOT of people that had Dreamcasts. The problem was that like 80% of the games they had would be bootleg.

Dudes were even copping Dreamcasts just off the strength of how easy it was to bootleg games. :sadcam:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
yea, snes was kid chit in comparison tho. theres a reason why genesis was generally the system of choice amongst adults & teens.

im not gonna hold you tho. im a sports-priority gamer. I played a lot of the other chit too. PLENTY OF IT. but most of the non-sports games were side-chit on the agenda. with that said, genesis blew SNES out-the-water.

hell, the main reason I got it was prolly because my pops might've wanted me to keep up with my teammates who were mostly 2-3 years older and in middle school. lol. these were like my main peers tho. more importantly, my pops fell in love when he saw the trailer for "super high impact football".

im not arguing about sega Saturn. never played it. never wanted it neither. i just remember dudes riding for it heavy in '97. pretty much all of them were people that had got Saturn for Christmas, so i pretty much took it with a grain of salt anyway.
:what: Son..Genesis blew the SNES out of the water?..u have no idea what u talkin bout right now and I could literally write pages on how absolutely wrong u are from a technical and a game standpoint..lol..like..the MAIN shyt Sega had on SNES was some of the sports games...but at one point majority of the multiplats were undeniably better on SNES...to say the the SNES was "kid shyt" ain't even an opinion...shyt is flat out wrong...this is coming from a nikka who thoroughly enjoyed both consoles...I can literally list what games were better on each system...opinion comes into what system u preferred more but saying SNES was kid shyt is as accurate as sayin the PS2 was kid shyt...