Why Did Dreamcast flop?

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Oh and 1 more thing I forgot about.

Sega incorrectly assumed how much longer 2D games would be relevant. Saturn was build around 2D graphics, Playstation around 3D. That in itself was a huge blow to Sega. You had games like "Tomb Raider", one of the biggest games of that era, that ran like shyt on the Saturn.

Fred.

Yup..I put this in my first response to this thread..lol..

AITheAnswerAI

Ethereous one
Supporter
Daps
I had a dreamcast, and remember playing games like soul caliber, sonic, and shenmue. Then the PS2 came out pretty soon after with games like mgs2 and whatever else and completely put the dreamcast in the shade. I only knew a couple other people who had dreamcasts back in school.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yup..I put this in my first response to this thread..lol..

I had a Saturn and bought "Tomb Raider" anyway. :manny:

Thought it was the GOAT game at the time.

Then I went over my boy's house and seen "Tomb Raider" on PS1 and was :mindblown: because it looked, played and ran 100x better.

Went and copped a Dreamcast the first day it came out anyway. :manny:

Fred.

Rebel Soldier

He’s good
Daps
Reppin
Georgia
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3rw-9Q0lJ0[/ame]

This video pretty much explains it. Start at 14:40 but I recommend watching the whole thing.

Chill

carti stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Junipero
Bcz these PS guys wasn't ready for that next level shyt. They was scared and complaining about Internet. " bu bu bu but why do we have to play games online" :sadbron:

I remember hearing about this, alot of console players at the time wasn't interested in online gaming it seemed. Hell if the Dreamcast came out today with it's GOAT game selection :whew:.

CarolinaKing

The Carolina Blueprint
Daps
Reppin
NC
The first console that had internet, which meant I could look at as many naked bytches that my young mind could handle :blessed:

I think I still got a copy of the 2K with Iverson on the cover somewhere. Loved the fukkin Dreamcast man. Sold that shyt to my boy for $20, with Shenmue, after I got an XBOX :to: Really wish I wouldn't have sold it.

Chill

carti stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Junipero
I swear the industry is missing out by not partnering up with Sega and re-releasing the full Dreamcast catalog on their marketplaces because alot those games would make great side games.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Didn't have a DVD player or Madden.

I mean there's the whole Sega being bad at business and marketing their brand but those two reasons were the biggest and simplest explanations.

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sega relied too much on their in house catalog, then decided that they wanted to go multi-platform and make more money.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I had a Saturn and bought "Tomb Raider" anyway. :manny:

Thought it was the GOAT game at the time.

Then I went over my boy's house and seen "Tomb Raider" on PS1 and was :mindblown: because it looked, played and ran 100x better.

Went and copped a Dreamcast the first day it came out anyway. :manny:

Fred.
Son I peeped what was goin on wit those systems and was following since before they dropped so I made sure I had that Playstation on deck when it first dropped...and yea that Dreamcast was so ill man...Like I said I still play it...