why did arcade gaming die out in america??

Black White Sox Hat

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Cuz all the new shyt started coming to consoles.Before you had to go to the arcade to play the quality shyt.Once the fire was on consoles it was a wrap.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Don't forget Ed Boon programming the Mortal Kombat series AI to suck as many quarters from you as possible.

I remember reading/watching on an interview that Mortal Kombat 3/Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 was programmed to make you lose one match by default on one run :beli:
Playing games on MAME, it's crazy how you can enter the game's service mode and see how high the difficulty is cranked by default

Aint hard at all to switch either :pachaha:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
In 99 when the Dreamcast could pump out Arcade Perfect ports with ease and not to mention a lot of games were dropping on NAOMI boards (which were arcade boards w Dreamcast guts. Capcom vs SNK 2 :ohlawd:) and online started getting big, It basically became what's the point anymore

Arcade game makers were starting to think their shyt didn't stink after a while (who else remembers Virtual Fighter 3 being a dollar to play in 1997 :shaq2:). Then when the aforementioned happened with consoles catching up to arcades and they were left in the dust

This particularly with the Dreamcast. Like the release of that system and my favorite arcade closing down go hand in hand.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I miss the arcade environment, though ...

There's nothing like feeding off people's reactions when you're whooping ass or sending someone away with their tail tucked between their legs :banderas:

And all the people crowding around the machine trying to see what's happening :krs:
putting your quarters up next to the screen

i got next :birdman:

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I blame it on the popularity of multiplayer , arcades is where u went to prove your skills vs others. Now you just sign online play some ppl, look at leader boards, collect achievements.
crazy how dreamcast flopped, it was one of my favorite consoles. :wow:

Dreamcast didn't flop. When people were able to successfully burn their games that was the end of their chapter.

DC was so dope

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
like others have said, console gaming crushed arcade gaming. I grew up in the era of playing arcade games as well. there used to be a pizza hut that had the first mortal kombat when it dropped that I'd go and play on the regular. hell, the cabinet was kinda broke, so cats would reach their hand in there and add free credits and what not. got to the point where the manager would kick us out cuz we'd play there all day with little to no money :damn:

there was also a bowling alley on that same block that had arcade games I'd play regularly like simpons, MK2, and the TMNT joint . however, both of those places have been torn down, and replaced by a wack strip mall. and this happened at least 10 years ago.

it was around this time in the early 90's where consoles started catching up to arcade games. the first MK wasn't nearly as good as the arcade, but once MK2 dropped and the games on playstation started coming out with the same quality as their arcade counterparts, it was a wrap. wasn't gonna spend all my little hard earned money at an arcade when I can play shyt for free at home after copping the game.

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nikkas talking about the Dreamcast kill the arcades. :dahell: How old are y'all nikkas?

The Sega Genesis is what kill the arcades back in the early 90's. Every arcade game became playable on a home console.

The arcades was already completely dead :rip: by the time the Dreamcast came out in 1999.

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
Birthday partys at the arcades.......damn i miss them shyts....my fav type of arcade games (those T2 shooter types) dont translate well into home consoles...