why did arcade gaming die out in america??

hotbeezie

Go Dawgzz!!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
NBA Jam TE started that BS that you had to pay for each quarter...a young dude was making these big life decisions to play NBA Jam TE for $1 or just play the first quarter and grab a soda with my slice of pizza :wow:
Sorry for the long read

I been there...

I remember my pops hitting me with that,

:comeon:"Son, I ain't giving you no extra money, you gotta figure out what you wanna do"

It played out perfectly in my head...

:lolbron:"Sheed Imma play all these tokens and beg for the food" :troll:

Played blitz and got washed:sadcam:
Played MvC and got washed:sadcam:
Played racing and got washed
(By my doggone momma :usure:)

Then I got that work in air hockey by my pops:stopitslime:

(I ain't even wanna play that:dwillhuh:)

So we leave and go to Burger King and he ordering and he ask what I want and I'm like:

I want a whopper with cheese meal:youngsabo:

:comeon:Where ya money at?

:why: Dad you ain't even give me enough money.

:comeon: :ufdup:But you didn't try to save either playing all them dollar games when you had quarter money. I got the money for your food but I'm not paying for it...we'll heat you something up when you get home.

***looks at mom like:feedme:***

:usure:What cha daddy tell ya?

Me:
waq1dg.jpg

Longest ride home ever:wow:

That night, My pops sat me down and talked to me that night about why he has to be harder on me than my younger brothers right now, how important it is to never put yourself in a position as to where you gotta depend on others, and to not make the same mistakes that he made.

I never forgot and it made me a better man:to:.

:salute:Pops

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I partly agree with everybody...But I don't think graphics catching played *AS* big of part as the machines became too expensive and the type of games that became popular ( Fighting games started to die down ). If you think about it the Arcade was always a social environment first, part of the thrill came from playing games with others in person/food/drinks/prizes etc.etc. People still go to the malls where they once were and teens still hang out in the malls. The big problem came when they started charging $1 damn dollar to play and First person shooters don't exactly transfer well to arcade machines( and they started to become the most popular games ).

Multiplayer didn't kill it because when they started dying , a lot of people still didn't have an internet connection or they were on a 56K modem :mjlol:. Arcade machines could've used better chips that would blow consoles away, but then they would be charging you $2.00 to play. Dave & Busters/Chuck-e-Cheese is always packed esp on the weekends, but they use cheaper machines & they use a token/coin system, why? because it's easier for somebody to put 2 - 4 tokens in a machine than quarters( that's how they get you:ohhh:)

Daps
when it got to the point where the graphics were the same or better than the arcade (time crisis anyone) then people were like why the fukk would I keep traveling, maybe waiting in line, and tossing money for lives when I could just play this in the comfort of my own home at the cost of one upfront fee.

That being said, I wouldn't mind having some arcade games in my game room just to have the arcade feel.

This is it.

and playing the game with your friends..not some nikka who said he had next. Then you come to find out this dude is a Mortal Kombat savant and shyt. Now both me and my friends are waitin in line while he racks up a body count and who knows when we'll get to play each-other again

:pacspit:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Sorry for the long read

I been there...

I remember my pops hitting me with that,

:comeon:"Son, I ain't giving you no extra money, you gotta figure out what you wanna do"

It played out perfectly in my head...

:lolbron:"Sheed Imma play all these tokens and beg for the food" :troll:

Played blitz and got washed:sadcam:
Played MvC and got washed:sadcam:
Played racing and got washed
(By my doggone momma :usure:)

Then I got that work in air hockey by my pops:stopitslime:

(I ain't even wanna play that:dwillhuh:)

So we leave and go to Burger King and he ordering and he ask what I want and I'm like:

I want a whopper with cheese meal:youngsabo:

:comeon:Where ya money at?

:why: Dad you ain't even give me enough money.

:comeon: :ufdup:But you didn't try to save either playing all them dollar games when you had quarter money. I got the money for your food but I'm not paying for it...we'll heat you something up when you get home.

***looks at mom like:feedme:***

:usure:What cha daddy tell ya?

Me:
waq1dg.jpg

Longest ride home ever:wow:

That night, My pops sat me down and talked to me that night about why he has to be harder on me than my younger brothers right now, how important it is to never put yourself in a position as to where you gotta depend on others, and to not make the same mistakes that he made.

I never forgot and it made me a better man:to:.

:salute:Pops
:sadcam:
:sadcam::sadcam::sadcam:

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
I remember when Playdium had the motion Tekken 3 with the movie size screen.

:shaq:

You would have to act out all of the moves and your character would do them.

:wow:

Spent the whole day holding down my spot with Jin whooping on older dudes until this 30 year old stepped up. My goodness, the poor old bum is going to get washed, I said.

Then he picks Lei. Then he gets on the floor. At a point I was just watching him do some acrobatic stuff that I stopped focusing on the game.

Craziest arcade experience other than the rumbles I've ever seen.

SCJoe

All Star
Daps
DDR and shyt like Initial D almost brought it back after fighting games were winding down.

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
I feel like I read an article a few years ago (Pre Pandemic) that stated arcades were making a comeback

They are with those 1 Up joints but we talking the arcade environment. Those days when if you embarrassed somebody so bad, he comes back with a group of friends on their bikes wanting to "take it outside" on some 80s, Karate Kid scene.

:mjlol:

Those days when you put the quarter up, get next and chop the popular person who was on a win streak. The girls there would give you the :shaq: when you win.

:mjcry:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Prob the same reason theaters will eventually die.

Direct to home new releases, and 500 dollar 70”+ tv’s

And a growing populace of unhinged and broke people

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Console gaming killed off Arcade gaming. End thread/

Basically....Right before the launch of the first playstation shyt was already going downhill...I remember genisis had that corny ass MK port and it was ok... but I think when everyone started getting online with the consoles the snowball effect was too much and then the xbox 360 put the final nail in the coffin with alot of online gaming... there was no need for arcades anymore...:francis: