why did arcade gaming die out in america??

StarClout

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broncos/NYY/NYR/ALA
In 99 when the Dreamcast could pump out Arcade Perfect ports with ease and not to mention a lot of games were dropping on NAOMI boards (which were arcade boards w Dreamcast guts. Capcom vs SNK 2 :ohlawd:) and online started getting big, It basically became what's the point anymore

Arcade game makers were starting to think their shyt didn't stink after a while (who else remembers Virtual Fighter 3 being a dollar to play in 1997 :shaq2:). Then when the aforementioned happened with consoles catching up to arcades and they were left in the dust

datnigDASTARDLY

catching pigeons
Daps
I like my couch.

Plus..video games cost a hell of a lot nowadays. I'm not spending $500+ (Xbone :sadcam:) on a system, $900+ on a flatscreen, $90+ on something to keep the wife preoccupied (ROI on that for real :lolbron:), $30+ on something to keep the lil man occupied....to turn around and spend gas and some damn quarters on a specific type of game that's designed to take more loot from me.

Nope not today! :shaq:

:sadbron:

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I miss the arcade environment, though ...

There's nothing like feeding off people's reactions when you're whooping ass or sending someone away with their tail tucked between their legs :banderas:

And all the people crowding around the machine trying to see what's happening :krs:

:to: that was good times.

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
I miss the arcade environment, though ...

There's nothing like feeding off people's reactions when you're whooping ass or sending someone away with their tail tucked between their legs :banderas:

And all the people crowding around the machine trying to see what's happening :krs:
Putting your quarter up on the cabinet to signify you got next :wow:

mvp_status

Superstar
Daps
8580.jpg

scan0546.jpg

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
some have said it...the dreamcast is why it started to die off quickly

Think of the popular arcades at that time...Crazy Taxi, House of the Dead, Marvel vs Capcom 2...all running perfectly on the dreamcast.

Kingshango

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Dreamcast and Saturn were getting damn near perfect ports of arcade games like MvC2, Street Fighter 3 Third Strike, Virtua Fighter, Crazy Taxi, House of the Dead and so on. Then Online console gaming came in and closed the casket on the arcade market, in the US at least.

Champion

#RxLife #UCF #FAMU
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town to Tampa
Home consoles killed arcades. Why would someone go drop $30 in quarters for a full day of gaming when they can actually own the game for $60 and play it whenever they want to? And arcades are not dying, they've been dead for quite some time now.