why did arcade gaming die out in america??

Detroit Wave

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The D
when it got to the point where the graphics were the same or better than the arcade (time crisis anyone) then people were like why the fukk would I keep traveling, maybe waiting in line, and tossing money for lives when I could just play this in the comfort of my own home at the cost of one upfront fee.

That being said, I wouldn't mind having some arcade games in my game room just to have the arcade feel.

/thread

i was just playing Knights Of The Round on MAME with my cousins last night :to:

i miss arcades :sadcam:

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You put the troll face, but its the truth. The Dreamcast ushered in arcade perfect ports and deaded the arcade scene. So instead of going to mall to play MVC2 or Powerstone, you just went to your boys house.
truth, use to have mvc2 tournys at the house :ohlawd:

but arcades was on their way out before that. once games like MK and SSF2 made their way to snes and genesis, it was already the beginning of the end

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
8580.jpg

scan0546.jpg

crazy how dreamcast flopped, it was one of my favorite consoles. :wow:

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
im such a hypocrite. i love arcade games and i have a gameworks minutes away from me and i never go :snoop:

the fact that i can just play them on consoles and emulators has really taken me away from arcades.

Stinky Diver

attitude as bad as his odor
Daps
im such a hypocrite. i love arcade games and i have a gameworks minutes away from me and i never go :snoop:

the fact that i can just play them on consoles and emulators has really taken me away from arcades.
Nothing wrong with not wanting to pay for overpriced shyt.

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I agree that consoles killed it. Consoles allow brehs to take the arcade gaming experience with them for free.

I know in the student union of my community college, some students bring their own consoles to make tournaments.

C Con

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Arcades have been dead for some time. Like everyone said once the home consoles caught up graphics-wise that was the beginning. There's still one close to me though and the only reason it stays open is because it's right next to a high school and kind of a spot to kick it. Even with that I still have no clue how that place turns a profit. But there was nothing like going to the arcade when you were younger and your dad handing you a 5 spot and you were on your way. :blessed: Me and my cousins would just beat random games for the sake of beating them - didn't care how many quarters we had to put in. When Street Fighter dropped that changed everything - those arcades would be so cracking it almost brings a tear to my eye when I think about it.

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
MAME holding a nikka down though :banderas:

MAME, FBA, Neorage X, Snes and a myriad of other emus have been holding me down since college :ahh:

I still go to the arcades downtown in the regular though. Duking it out with the brehs and then chopping it up afterwards :obama:

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I miss the arcade environment, though ...

There's nothing like feeding off people's reactions when you're whooping ass or sending someone away with their tail tucked between their legs :banderas:

And all the people crowding around the machine trying to see what's happening :krs:

Racking up 20+ wins and then when you're tired you just give someone else the game like :smugfavre:

hotbeezie

Go Dawgzz!!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
My family didnt have as much when I was growing up so we'd probably on get like 5 dollars a piece to go to the arcade. After a while that shyt wasn't lasting

Marvel vs. Capcom 1: 0.25:ehh:
Marvel vs. Capcom 2: 0.50 :manny:

Tekken: 0.50 :yeshrug:

Virtua fighter: 1.00 :stopitslime:

Can't remember but I'm pretty sure time crisis was like 1.00:usure:

Most good racing games where the string wheel wasn't all loose and shyt was like 1.00:beli:

NBA jam (that 3d one): was like 0.75 and I don't think you played the whole game either
( it been so long I could be wrong) :leostare:

Blitz: :comeon: fukk it, I was playing blitz:gladbron:

Don't even try a beat 'em up by ya damn self
:ufdup:

I miss the arcade but they was ripping us broke hommies off. :wow:

StarClout

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broncos/NYY/NYR/ALA
My family didnt have as much when I was growing up so we'd probably on get like 5 dollars a piece to go to the arcade. After a while that shyt wasn't lasting

Marvel vs. Capcom 1: 0.25:ehh:
Marvel vs. Capcom 2: 0.50 :manny:

Tekken: 0.50 :yeshrug:

Virtua fighter: 1.00 :stopitslime:

Can't remember but I'm pretty sure time crisis was like 1.00:usure:

Most good racing games where the string wheel wasn't all loose and shyt was like 1.00:beli:

NBA jam (that 3d one): was like 0.75 and I don't think you played the whole game either
( it been so long I could be wrong) :leostare:

Blitz: :comeon: fukk it, I was playing blitz:gladbron:

Don't even try a beat 'em up by ya damn self
:ufdup:

I miss the arcade but they was ripping us broke hommies off. :wow:

Don't forget Ed Boon programming the Mortal Kombat series AI to suck as many quarters from you as possible.

I remember reading/watching on an interview that Mortal Kombat 3/Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 was programmed to make you lose one match by default on one run :beli: