Why Did 70's Music Age So Much Better Than 80's Music?

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Booker T Garvey said:
as others pointed out, the 80's was doing that weird ass robot shyt that didn't age well at all

the quiet storm era of the late 80's saved that decade :hhh:

The 80's didn't need 'saving' and that 'weird ass robot shyt' was created in the 70's.........

.....Roger Troutman got ahold of it, tweaked it, and the rest is history.....

:dj2:

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Daps
Reppin
IllmaticDelta said:
1980's has heat even with all the electronic sounds but it's not seeing the 1970s. 1990's did a better job at humanizing those electronic/synth sounds.

Peeps are paying far too much attention to the electronics, but are forgetting that there were STILL good singers in the 80's and their voices actually carried the songs. There wasn't much need for 'humanizing'.......

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Peeps are paying far too much attention to the electronics, but are forgetting that there were STILL good singers in the 80's and their voices actually carried the songs.​

true...the vocal of the 80s were still great as they were in the 70s but the production was much slicker

There wasn't much need for 'humanizing'.......

on the music side of things, some of that robotic feel did need "humanizing". Even the House/Techno music got "smoother" (less glitchy-mechanical) by the early 90s

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Daps
Reppin
Done said:
I honestly feel the 80s were the goat era for music except the end when New Jack Swing came in. That shyt aged HORRIBLY.:hhh:

I find that most people who say this can't dance as that was THE main attraction of NJS. It wasn't for cats to listen to, dolo, with a pair of headphones/earbuds in the privacy of your parents' basement.

Your ass was supposed to be on the dancefloor.......:ufdup:

....and one of my personal favorites....

:stylin::dj2::stylin:

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Daps
Reppin
IllmaticDelta said:
on the music side of things, some of that robotic feel did need "humanizing". Even the House/Techno music got "smoother" (less glitchy-mechanical) by the early 90s

The reasons for the 'robotic' feel were that we were under the impression that the 'future' was just around the corner, especially since Reagan announced the 'Star Wars Initiative'. That shyt had us thinking we'd be livin' like The Jetsons within the next 10-20 years. To us, back then, it sounded 'futuristic'. We named it 'Electro Funk/Boogie'............

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
He said the 70s music aged so much better. The songs i posted have been sampled by all the rappers in the 90s, & 00s. The whole “aged so much better” doesnt make sense to me at all. Those baselines from the 80s is hard as fukk. I guess you gotta have 2 15s in the trunk and a good sound system to appreciate what i posted. Headphones wont do any justive. This is that shyt Gz ride to till this day. The 70s songs maybe better but the i wouldnt say “aged better” than the songs i posted. You can play those 80s songs in the club right now and the club for youngsters right now and the club would be jumping. Cant say that about 70s music.

Dude, the '70s BY FAR is sampled the most.

Just like at how many times Funkadelic, Sly Stone, and James Brown were sampled.

Aint nobody sampling fukkin' SOS Band the way they sampled James Brown.

He was Hip-Hop for like a damned decade.

And we can't go by what younger people today are listening to, they think fukking Drake & Cardi B. sound good.

They're idiots.

The 80s was the GOAT era for music. Some of these brehs taste is just questionable.

:scust:Think the light-skinned jheri curl nikka era was better than Stevie, Marvin, and Aretha.

There were tons of 'weak' tracks during the 70's as well, so that objection just doesn't wash. Anyone can cherry-pick music from the era they choose to be the 'best', but I lived through both and the only difference between the two was how many tracks were actually played on the radio/main-stream media vs. 'hood parties/cookouts/block parties/etc. So, yeah, one CAN compare both era's music/musicians, critically, without resorting to 'that era was weaker' as an argument.

The 80's was FULL of dopeness in an era where experimentation was the formula for success.​

Yeah, I can resort to "which era was weaker" argument

Prime Stevie, Marvin, Aretha, Isleys, MJ, was better than all that synthesizer shyt.

And the '70s was the prime era of experimentation, as they were still taking all those crazy drugs from the '60s and just got access to synths, but didn't over rely on them like they did in the '80s.

The '80s took the '70s best artists like Stevie Wonder and made them sound bland.

Like listen to "Songs In The Key of Life" and then listen to "Skeletons":heh:

Hell, even MJ was at his absolute best on "Off The Wall" from '79.

By the time he got to "Bad" in '87, he was a shell of himself

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Dude, the '70s BY FAR is sampled the most.

Just like at how many times Funkadelic, Sly Stone, and James Brown were sampled.

Aint nobody sampling fukkin' SOS Band the way they sampled James Brown.

He was Hip-Hop for like a damned decade.

And we can't go by what younger people today are listening to, they think fukking Drake & Cardi B. sound good.

They're idiots.

:scust:Think the light-skinned jheri curl nikka era was better than Stevie, Marvin, and Aretha.

Yeah, I can resort to "which era was weaker" argument

Prime Stevie, Marvin, Aretha, Isleys, MJ, was better than all that synthesizer shyt.

And the '70s was the prime era of experimentation, as they were still taking all those crazy drugs from the '60s and just got access to synths, but didn't over rely on them like they did in the '80s.

The '80s took the '70s best artists like Stevie Wonder and made them sound bland.

Like listen to "Songs In The Key of Life" and then listen to "Skeletons":heh:

Hell, even MJ was at his absolute best on "Off The Wall" from '79.

By the time he got to "Bad" in '87, he was a shell of himself

:whoa:

⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
Some of y’all are buggin. Yeah, 70’s music is a more soulful in general, but the 80’s had plenty of soul and some great music. I’ll take the 80’s over the 70’s any day.

I mean when you’re Having a summer BBQ, the majority of the music you’re gonna play is from the 80’s.