Why Did 70's Music Age So Much Better Than 80's Music?

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
The freedom of expression in the 80’s reflects in the music.

However 70’s music just had this authentic grit to it, they didn’t have near the access to synths and fancier equipment that their 80’s counterparts did. ..

having limitations often yields the greatest innovation

Authenticity never goes out of style.

ReturnOfJudah

Veteran
Daps
Those are all dope tracks, but are we really comparing that to the Isleys, Marvins, Stevies, Funkadelic, EWF, Aretha in her prime, etc. . ?

That was good stuff in a weaker era.
He said the 70s music aged so much better. The songs i posted have been sampled by all the rappers in the 90s, & 00s. The whole “aged so much better” doesnt make sense to me at all. Those baselines from the 80s is hard as fukk. I guess you gotta have 2 15s in the trunk and a good sound system to appreciate what i posted. Headphones wont do any justive. This is that shyt Gz ride to till this day. The 70s songs maybe better but the i wouldnt say “aged better” than the songs i posted. You can play those 80s songs in the club right now and the club for youngsters right now and the club would be jumping. Cant say that about 70s music.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
He said the 70s music aged so much better. The songs i posted have been sampled by all the rappers in the 90s, & 00s. The whole “aged so much better” doesnt make sense to me at all. Those baselines from the 80s is hard as fukk. I guess you gotta have 2 15s in the trunk and a good sound system to appreciate what i posted. Headphones wont do any justive. This is that shyt Gz ride to till this day. The 70s songs maybe better but the i wouldnt say “aged better” than the songs i posted. You can play those 80s songs in the club right now and the club for youngsters right now and the club would be jumping. Cant say that about 70s music.
Artists are trying to do this sound right now! They’re just not as good as those 80’s artists though. Yeah the 70’s were great no doubt, but the &0’s has some heat too and it changes the music industry forever. Imagine trying to pay a big ass 10-20 piece band in 2019.. rappers can’t even handle paying a 5 person crew and shyt lol.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
as others pointed out, the 80's was doing that weird ass robot shyt that didn't age well at all

the quiet storm era of the late 80's saved that decade :hhh:

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
I honestly feel the 80s were the goat era for music except the end when New Jack Swing came in. That shyt aged HORRIBLY.:hhh:

giphy.gif

Johnnie Kemp - Just got paid
Troop - spread my wings
Bobby Brown - Get Away
Hold On- En Vogue
Michael Jackson - Remember The Time
Joe - Im in luv

that entire little 3 or 4 year era crushed all of the 80's

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
The Amerikkkan Idol said:
Those are all dope tracks, but are we really comparing that to the Isleys, Marvins, Stevies, Funkadelic, EWF, Aretha in her prime, etc. . ?

That was good stuff in a weaker era.

There were tons of 'weak' tracks during the 70's as well, so that objection just doesn't wash. Anyone can cherry-pick music from the era they choose to be the 'best', but I lived through both and the only difference between the two was how many tracks were actually played on the radio/main-stream media vs. 'hood parties/cookouts/block parties/etc. So, yeah, one CAN compare both era's music/musicians, critically, without resorting to 'that era was weaker' as an argument.

The 80's was FULL of dopeness in an era where experimentation was the formula for success.​