Why Are Waves So Special In The Black Community?

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
upon googling, i did find a few white boys with waves :leon:

edit: nm, they were mixed breeds :dry:

MikeBrownsJob

Seattle fan since 2013 *deal with it slime*
Daps
Reppin
Seattle We Run You Nyggas Ask Russel Wilson
I have what people call good hair does that mean that a person with nappy hair is more black then me?

No it just means you have recent admixture which gave you that. :troll:

:yawn:

I suspect @SouthernBelle is of the Lipstick Alley elk which means she's batsh$t crazy and self-hating lady. Probably dislikes colorism, yet loves white men. :laff:

Last edited by a moderator:

SouthernBelle

#Feyonce
Daps
:laugh: the way you pulled this was slick. like that was ever up for debate.

topic is very deep though and varies from person to person. i do think in some instances it's self hate. some dudes just don't want to have nappy hair at all. in other instances, it's just a hairstyle that ppl like. :ld:

it's funny how there's white boys on youtube trying their best to get waves.

Good hair is the key word. Waves signify that you don't have "nappy" "black" hair. It is definitely related to the hate of naps and things related to being black or African.

The above is my first quote in this thread. I spoke generally about what wave signify and what good hair his historically meant. I didn't try to say why all black men want waves especially since waves ARE natural to most men with 3 and 4 type hair. I brought it up because I know fools were going to try to turn this into a black man vs. black woman thing. The shyt going beyond gender. Good hair is historically related to non black hair. :mind blown: that people can't see past their gender :cape:. That is why I have attempted to stop even engaging in conversation with some of these fools.

Why it is so hard to admit that people who speak about having good hair or wanting good hair (whether they are a man or woman) are on some I don't want nappy "black" hair/hating black hair type of stuff. This seems like common sense.

SubLyminalz

Kemba Escobar Season Has Returned.
Supporter
Daps
You guys do realize that the nappier your hair is, the easier it is to get waves, right? If "good hair" was the key to having waves then white boys would be wavey as fukk...

no its not :childplease: nappy headed dudes need to use more products for there waves to stand out, I have a good hair texture so I dont need a bunch of grease or products to maintain mines.

all u basically have to do to get them is grow your hair abour 5-8 weeks between cuts and brush a lot mainly before bed and keep your hair moisturized.

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
I am not a geneticist so I have no idea. However, we are in denial if we are going to act like some types of hair (whether they are on a man or a woman) aren't easier to curl and wave. Also we can't deny that those same textures have been historically deemed as "good hair" while textures that are harder to curl or wave because they are "nappier" are deemed a nappy, bad hair.

I get what your saying that people are unhappy with the hair they have so they do things to make it look more like what people say is good hair.

the mechanic

Greasy philosophy
Daps
:mindblown:So if i have the sub saharan steel wool going all i have to do is brush it to get waves

:leon: Ill try but im skeptical

HarlemsOwn

RIP Fresh
Daps
Good hair is the key word. Waves signify that you don't have "nappy" "black" hair. It is definitely related to the hate of naps and things related to being black or African.

Dude. Do a simple google search related to different hair textures. Common sense would tell you that black people come with different hair textures (some more kinky and harder to curl and wave than others). Is that not common sense AAking23?

Have you NEVER heard of the term good hair regard to softer AA hair that curls and waves. This isn't even a black man issue so don't even try to turn it into one. There are just as many black women online trying to find every product to make their NATURAL hair look curly when in reality it will never be curly in the good hair sense. They don't want African looking hair nor do a lot of black men. Let's not be glib.

If you don't want to have a real conversation that includes some common sense and not the typical I just want to argue with anything that Kenya says because Kenya said, then don't quote me.

Actually your hair has to have a curl pattern in order to get waves (whether it is loose or tight). The looser the curl pattern, the better the waves look. The tightest of the tightest curl pattern and straight hair will have a very difficult time achieving waves.

Any person talking about "good hair" is referencing non African American looking hair. Are we seriously going to deny that fact?

Sweety I know what waves are and how they happen. Have are we going to deny that looser curl patterns usually produce better ways and often more easily.

Are we going to deny that "good hair" is in reference to self-hate and dislike of hair that is deemed more "African?"

This isn't a black man issue. This is a black issue. All black women have some sort of curl pattern; however, "good hair" references those who's curl are more visible, bigger, and easily attainable.

Are we in denial people?

Like I said. I participate in hair message boards related to natural black hair. You can google everything I said. So yes please don't quote me again because I am tired of uninformed coli negroes such as yourself who don't know shyt, won't take the time to google shyt, are in denial about shyt, but always want to talk shyt. :rudy:

Can someone please tell me what "good hair" has historically meant in regard to men AND women of African descent?

The negro can't. People with hair type 3 and 4a will have the best looking waves and those are textures that have historically been associated with "good hair" in the self-hating sense of the word (more so 3 hair types than 4a but 4a does still show a visible curl/wave).

First of all fukk you for the last comment. Second, I mentioned black women so that the negroes that are in denial will see that I am not trying to turn this in to a man vs woman issue. This is simply a black issue that affects both men and women.

I am not a geneticist so I have no idea. However, we are in denial if we are going to act like some types of hair (whether they are on a man or a woman) aren't easier to curl and wave. Also we can't deny that those same textures have been historically deemed as "good hair" while textures that are harder to curl or wave because they are "nappier" are deemed a nappy, bad hair.

Your hair has to have an s-curl pattern in order to form a wave.

White people typically have Type 1 or Type 2 hair that does not curl or wave. You can't make something wave if a curl never existed Hair types in the very middle (3- 4a) have an easier time forming visible curls and waves than straight or hair that grows in a Z (nappier textures).

not_having_it_zpsf8300285.gif

you bored as fukk right now shorty...

i could tell​

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Why it is so hard to admit that people who speak about having good hair or wanting good hair (whether they are a man or woman) are on some I don't want nappy "black" hair/hating black hair type of stuff. This seems like common sense.

i agree, good hair is seen as less nappy. what does that have to do with what i said?

SouthernBelle

#Feyonce
Daps
not_having_it_zpsf8300285.gif

you bored as fukk right now shorty...

i could tell​

LMAO. People are quoting me and I am responding. Also, I'm done with my school work for the summer so expect more post from me. If you don't want to read, ignore will be your friend.

HarlemsOwn

RIP Fresh
Daps
lmaoooooooooooooooo
[ame]http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshho14iX82Vq1y0Zh17[/ame]

Just like bruddas

Couple shooters in the cut.
Supporter
Daps

Whoa now wait a second, you gotta have nappy hair to get some good waves. imo waves just goes to show how well you take care of ya hair. Not everyone can get waves.

Takes a lot of oil, either olive, coconut or almond, brushing and a some nappys at afro length.