Why Are Waves So Special In The Black Community?

Gravity

Banned
Daps
process of getting waves takes soo much effort & time, however they look good
I didn't know that so many people went through a "process" to get them. If you have to go through a process to get them then you're doing too much. Leave the waves to the people who have them naturally.

Gotdamn the bird in here trying to argue people down is worrisome as hell:whew:

ChiefQueen

HBIC
Daps
I asked this same question when it comes to dreads. I never understood it. Like, why would you put knots in your hair? :what: I knew this one white girl who had it and she was like, ' Blank (name here) don't ever get dreads. Man, I honestly had to cut off half of my hair to get rid of this fukking hairstyle.' :snoop: Then, there was this one Jamaican guy who was in one of my classes with dreads all the way to his back. So, randomly one day I asked him if he had added a weave to it to get it to that length. He legit looked at me like :dwillhuh: and quietly said, 'no...it's all my hair.' I felt so stupid. But, honestly it was the first time I asked this question to a person who had dreads and I needed to know.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I asked this same question when it comes to dreads. I never understood it. Like, why would you put knots in your hair? :what: I knew this one white girl who had it and she was like, ' Blank (name here) don't ever get dreads. Man, I honestly had to cut off half of my hair to get rid of this fukking hairstyle.' :snoop: Then, there was this one Jamaican guy who was in one of my classes with dreads all the way to his back. So, randomly one day I asked him if he had added a weave to it to get it to that length. He legit looked at me like :dwillhuh: and quietly said, 'no...it's all my hair.' I felt so stupid. But, honestly it was the first time I asked this question to a person who had dreads and I needed to know.

:childplease:

OC's finest

All Star
Daps
im too lazy to read thru 90% of this thread, but the premise that you needa b "black" to have waves is incorrect. iono nothing about it, but i've seen many non blacks wid pretty legit waves. they all had pretty naturaly curly/kinky hair.

ive seen some polys wid that type of hair, and some ricans. i'd figure some middle easterners wid super curly thick hair could probably brush into a wave pattern.

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
The curlier your hair is, the easier it is to get waves. It's common sense since waves are just laid down curls.

I'll speak for myself, I'm straight up negro and waves were never a problem for me. Just brush and go. Until a little later in life, I guess I was brushing my hair so much (in the shower too) that my hair became less nappy. Now I have hairs that are damn near straight. I'm still wavy but I gotta spend way more time dealing with stray hairs that literally grow straight out. These are mixed in with my regular hair. shyts bizarre.

I'm still wavy tho. :ufdup: My waves just look less negro-ish and more soft. (if that makes sense). My hair is harder to maintain tho. I can't just roll out of bed. I have to lay my shyt down for at least 30 minutes or it looks crazy. Also, its easy as hell for me to sweat out my waves... if that makes sense. :unsure:

This is me right here. I wondered for a minute why I wasn't getting waves on the top of my head till I though about just how much I used to brush my hair.