Why are Mexicans getting a pass for claiming "Chicano Oldies"?

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
Didn't mean that, I meant for the whole thread. You took that damn YouTube video and went off about Mexicans this and that

I ain't worried about all of that music shyt, it got nothing to do with me. That's one dude on YouTube who posted the video. I'm 2nd generation americano of mexicano descent living in Texas. Never been apart of that Chicano, low rider culture

We already addressed the word mayate

In closing i see why you made this thread and what youre doing with it you hating ass fakkit, I called you out on it already so there ain't nothing more to say

Panoch :pacspit:
We didn't discuss anything about mayate. I asked you to explain what it meant and you downplayed it's derogatory meaning by claiming it simply means "black people" and that's not true. It doesn't just mean "black people"

How can I expect to have a serious conversation with you about this topic when you won't even admit that y'all have a specific word used as slang to refer to black people in a derogatory way?

Last edited:

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
You have NO idea what ur talking about :russ:
If you even were a fan of Oldies you would know alot those groups still perform, all the time, specially in the souTh west, who you think filling half the venues you retard? I've gone to maybe a dozen concerts, mainly 70's Soul jams, and it's for the most part half older black couples and half Mexicans, you act like we don't know who Brenton Wood:whoo: Smokey Robinson :blessed: The Stylistics :feedme: The Delfonics :takedat: and The O'Jays are:whew: maybe you should ask the artist themselves why they haven't said anything, they'd probably tell You to shut the fukk up, you aint the one putting money in their pockets
The funny thing about yall is you claim y'all aren't racist, but you're never in here condemning the actions of your people and what they say about blacks. You're only in threads like these attacking the OP for calling y'all out.

1970s HeRon Flow

Takin Penitentiary Chances
Daps
Reppin
Down Slauson Ave
The funny thing about yall is you claim y'all aren't racist, but you're never in here condemning the actions of your people and what they say about blacks. You're only in threads like these attacking the OP for calling y'all out.
Cuz I'm not the Ambassador of Mexicans, just like I don't expect you to speak for all black people, I'm comming at what YOUR stating personally...

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
You have NO idea what ur talking about :russ:
If you even were a fan of Oldies you would know alot those groups still perform, all the time, specially in the souTh west, who you think filling half the venues you retard? I've gone to maybe a dozen concerts, mainly 70's Soul jams, and it's for the most part half older black couples and half Mexicans, you act like we don't know who Brenton Wood:whoo: Smokey Robinson :blessed: The Stylistics :feedme: The Delfonics :takedat: and The O'Jays are:whew: maybe you should ask the artist themselves why they haven't said anything, they'd probably tell You to shut the fukk up, you aint the one putting money in their pockets

This was my initial thinking too. If they're able to make money and tour, then who cares about what their fanbase ethnicity is, right?

But @DarianaGrande does make a good point: why is it that AA music can be revered so highly by people who often demean them? Can something as harmless as changing the name of music (I/e Chicano oldies) actually have a long term impact on the history of the genre? In essence, do AA musicians begin to lose their place in the genre over time? I certainly don't think it's the first time that has ever happened.

I ain't black. I'm Latino. But I know that if other ethnicities were suddenly all over rancheros, there would definitely be backlash from the community. It's only natural to protect what you perceive to be your culture.

Last edited:

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
This was my initial thinking too. If they're able to make money and tour, then who cares about what their fanbase ethnicity is, right?

But @DarianaGrande does make a good point: why is it that AA music can be revered so highly by people who often demean them? Can something as harmless as changing the name of music (I/e Chicano oldies) actually have a long term impact on the history of the genre? In essence, do AA musicians begin to lose their place in the genre over time? I certainly don't think it's the first time that has ever happened.

I ain't black. I'm Latino. But I know that if other ethnicities were sudden all over rancheros, there would definitely be backlash from the community. It's only natural to protect what you perceive to be your culture.
Thank you for actually seeing the point I'm trying to make without getting defensive.

White people have done this to black people too so it's not just Mexicans. They love black people as long as they are being entertained by them. But once that's over with its right back to going into how you truly feel about these people as a whole.

Changing the name may seem simple and harmless, but in reality it allows you to slowly change the history of the genre of music.

Hell Rolling Stones put out an article that was titled "How Elvis Presly Invented Rock n Roll" so it's not like I'm being overly paranoid.

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
Last thought: the relationship between the Latino and AA community is very interesting, and a lot of it is influenced by the social structures currently in place throughout Latin America. Mestizo, Indigenous, Black, and European are all prevalent in that area, and it's why Latinos in this country have trouble dealing with racism in their own community.

That's why we have conundrums such as Marco Rubio, who have Latino ancestry, yet promote republican ideals that would hurt Latinos who just so happen to belong to a lower wealth bracket/social class.

Latinos can be racist as hell. But it's definitely unfair to paint the entire demographic as racist simply because there's a lot to consider when talking about the Latino community.

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
Cuz I'm not the Ambassador of Mexicans, just like I don't expect you to speak for all black people, I'm comming at what YOUR stating personally...
What I'm stating is Mexicans claim music that black artists created as "Chicano oldies " and that's not a lie. :francis:
What I'm stating is many Mexicans don't like black people yet still listen to "Chicano oldies" and that's not a lie:francis:

1970s HeRon Flow

Takin Penitentiary Chances
Daps
Reppin
Down Slauson Ave
What I'm stating is Mexicans claim music that black artists created as "Chicano oldies " and that's not a lie. :francis:
What I'm stating is many Mexicans don't like black people yet still listen to "Chicano oldies" and that's not a lie:francis:
I asked you who is giving them a pass, if the whole point of your thread was to state that there are racist people that don't like black people but do like them in some way as entertainment,,be it,movies,music or sports, then you're not saying anything new :yeshrug: and that you're right

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
I asked you who is giving them a pass, if the whole point of your thread was to state that there are racist people that don't like black people but do like them in some way as entertainment,,be it,movies,music or sports, then you're not saying anything new :yeshrug: and that you're right
But I'm talking about Mexicans specifically, not just "people"

And frankly racism is talked about alot, but the hypocrisy of Mexicans and their hate for black people yet love of black culture is one I don't see being discussed much.

And the fact that calling it "Chicano oldies" only allows them to forget who made this music.

If you don't want to talk about Mexicans being racist towards blacks while hypocritically enjoying their music, then having the nerve to call black music "our oldies" Then don't. Ain't nobody forcing you to post in this thread.

Palm Tree's & Blunts

Big timah timah
Daps
The Mexican and Black problems in Cali stem from gang shyt.

Especially in LA because you can look at NorCal and it seems like the relations with Mexicans and blacks are better. Plus all that lowrider shyt is Chicano culture. If you go to Mexico right now you're not going to see that. In fact, a lot of them can't stand Chicanos and vice versa.

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
Got a couple of hundred subscribers on my YouTube channel that claim that Chicano classic stuff. If they only knew that I was black British

TillWeDie

All Star
Daps
Not trying to hate, but Chicano culture is kinda weird...I grew up in it CA but I also still respect it in a strange way...I just don't like the hypocrisy of the racial shyt to that has been mentioned already

A lot of racism in Mexico that isn't fully acknowledged and stems from Spanish invasion

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
#RIP Kobe
Not trying to hate, but Chicano culture is kinda weird...I grew up in it CA but I also still respect it in a strange way...I just don't like the hypocrisy of the racial shyt to that has been mentioned already

A lot of racism in Mexico that isn't fully acknowledged and stems from Spanish invasion

Spanish fukked them up in the head just like the Dutch, French, British, etc did us .

The ones that are racist are racist because they was told to be. And its only the So Cal ones, nikka nerds on the Coli be talkin like it's a nationwide epidemic.