Why are Igbo Nigerians so good at football?

Daps
Not really. Although the Hausa speak an Afro-Asiatic language, most of their genetic heritage is Chadic (think the Kanuri around Lake Chad). West Africa is very genetically diverse.
What about yuroba and igbo are the languages similar in any way.

Do you think it's worth getting a genetic test to see what percentage of West African specifically you are n

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra

Do you think it's worth getting a genetic test to see what percentage of West African specifically you are n

1 - They are part of the same language family subset. Phonetic words appear in both languages but have different meanings.

2 - Probably not

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps

1. Igbo is more complicated as a language than Yoruba. A lot of Igbo that live in Lagos, aren't fully fluent in the language well since the city is in Yoruba land.

2. At this point, you're going to get various percentages of different tribes/regions in your ancestry results. Most black people in the West in this point are a combination of different slaves from Senegal all the way to Angola.

Last edited:
Daps
Exactly. And most of those Yurobas ended up in South America, primarily Brazil, Venezuela, and Argentina
I knew some of those drums in Latin American music sounded familiar. I was listening to some Columbian music on TV and the instrumentals and drums sounded a little similar to Nigerian music

Daps
Why are we comparing tribes to see which ones are genetic superiorly. Honestly speaking there are gifted athletes all throughout west Africa but Nigerians are large in population that's why we see more here. Comparing tribes seems overdone let's just be happy there are Nigerian athletes making money and providing for their families.

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
Let the record show that @Bonk, There's very little genetic difference between the Igbo and Yoruba. They split off from each other some 3000 years ago. The main difference, if at all, is that some Yorubas (around old Oyo and Kwara) have some Fulani admixture.
:troll:

First off idiot, there is essetially NO genetic differencs between an Igbo and a Yuroba, so all this nonsense you typed is stupidity. Differences are purely language and culture, which has little effect in terms of athletic excellence. If anything, the vast majority of igbo families shun sports and stress academics. Which is actually the right move overall.

There are plenty of talented igbo athletes, especially in soccer. The fukking Nigerian soccer team that won gold in Atlanta was majority igbo you stupid fukk.

Thirdly, genetic studies are showing that a LARGE percentage of African Americans are descendants of the Igbo tribe, so that could potentially explain the high percentage of athletically gifted African Americans.

Insinuating somehow Yurobas are athletically superior is stupidity.

And i hope your not some fat ass idiot typing this nonsense, with your superior yuroba genetics.. :mjlol:

:deadrose::dead:

Isn't it funny that when the thread was created, the both of you never said anything about Yorubas and Igbos having the same genetics (it's not even just the two, it's almost all the groups in Southern Nigeria - Yoruboid, Igboid, and Edoid) and also critique the OP for creating an Igbo superiority thread? You were all rejoicing all over the thread. Especially when the primary reason for this is because there are more Igbos in the US, just as most Nigerians in the UK are Yorubas - and perhaps, the Nigerian nightmare, Christian Okoye, factor (he's also Igbo). However, when I corrected the hyperbole/falsehood about the NBA, which requires more athleticism, and has had more Yorubas - the both of you started talking about the similarities in genetics.

Where in my post did I allude to Yorubas having superior genetics? One of you claimed that Igbos and Cameroonians dominate the NBA, when that isn't that the case. There's actually no Igbo player starting for an NBA team (there are three decent Igbo rookies who're yet to play and Jalil Okafor) and the only two Cameroonians I know in the history of the NBA are Embiid & Mbah Moute. Yorubas on the other hand have Giannis, Oladipo, Aminu, and two decent rookies who're already getting minutes. Also, when the other poster claimed that it's because of education - all I did was point out that Yorubas are actually more keen about education than Igbos and, NFL players also have to go through college. So, that's not an excuse.

The thread would've been better if y'all had just said it's because Igbos traditionally prefer migrating to the US, unlike Yorubas who're anglophiles and have a preference for migrating to the UK. And there are more Igbos in the US, just as most Nigerians in the UK are Yorubas. Honestly, the thread would've ended there.

Funnily enough, despite the fact that there aren't that many Igbos in the UK (compared to Yorubas) - I actually have more Igbo friends because I only fukk with my day 1s that I grew up with on the same block and went to school with. And a lot of them just happened to be Igbos. However, that won't stop me from correcting lies whenever I see them. Correcting lies don't mean you hate liars or have a sense of superiority - it just means you're stating facts. I don't have time for asinine pissing contests about measuring d1cks.

As for soccer, I really can't speak for Nigerian soccer and the talents coming through (I never lived there). However, I can speak for the UK. Growing up, most Yoruba parents weren't keen on sports because it was meant for yobs. But a lot of us still played soccer and rugby in school. And if you know about how soccer in the UK is structured - you'd know that you've go through the soccer academies from a tender age to have a chance. However, that has changed now since the parents can see the crazy money involved and today, almost every soccer academy in the UK has tons of young Yoruba kids (I also have two younger cousins playing for Tottenham's under-14 team). And in the next 5-10 years, the EPL should be brimming with a lot of soccer players of Nigerian descent.

Anyway, I hope the both of you won't get mad - I want to add two more people. Erm, Jeff Green also has a Yoruba mother and (Lew Alcindor) Kareem Abdul Jabbar's forebears were Yorubas (not 23andMe DNA Yorubas - Yorubas who arrived in Trinidad in the 19th century and were aware of who they're).

This is Kareem Abdul Jabbar's interview with Al Jazeera:

The adoption of a new name was an extension of my rejection of all things in my life that related to the enslavement of my family and people. Alcindor was a French planter in the West Indies who owned my ancestors. My forebears were Yoruba people, from present day Nigeria. Keeping the name of my family’s slave master seemed somehow to dishonor them. His name felt like a branded scar of shame.

OPINION: Why I converted to Islam

Three Yoruba mutants: Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Hakeem Olajuwon, and Giannis Antetokoumpo. :wow:

Last edited:

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
:deadrose::dead:

Isn't it funny that when the thread was created, the both of you never said anything about Yorubas and Igbos having the same genetics (it's not even just the two, it's almost all the groups in Southern Nigeria - Yoruboid, Igboid, and Edoid) and also critique the OP for creating an Igbo superiority thread? You were all rejoicing all over the thread. Especially when the primary reason for this is because there are more Igbos in the US, just as most Nigerians in the UK are Yorubas - and perhaps, the Nigerian nightmare, Christian Okoye, factor (he's also Igbo). However, when I corrected the hyperbole/falsehood about the NBA, which requires more athleticism, and has had more Yorubas - the both of you started talking about the similarities in genetics.

Where in my post did I allude to Yorubas having superior genetics? One of you claimed that Igbos and Cameroonians dominate the NBA, when that isn't that the case. There's actually no Igbo player starting for an NBA team (there are three decent Igbo rookies who're yet to play and Jalil Okafor) and the only two Cameroonians I know in the history of the NBA are Embiid & Mbah Moute. Yorubas on the other hand have Giannis, Oladipo, Aminu, and two decent rookies who're already getting minutes. Also, when the other poster claimed that it's because of education - all I did was point out that Yorubas are actually more keen about education than Igbos and, NFL players also have to go through college. So, that's not an excuse.

The thread would've been better if y'all had just said it's because Igbos traditionally prefer migrating to the US, unlike Yorubas who're anglophiles and have a preference for migrating to the UK. And there are more Igbos in the US, just as most Nigerians in the UK are Yorubas. Honestly, the thread would've ended there.

Funnily enough, despite the fact that there aren't that many Igbos in the UK (compared to Yorubas) - I actually have more Igbo friends because I only fukk with my day 1s that I grew up with on the same block and went to school with. And a lot of them just happened to be Igbos. However, that won't stop me from correcting lies whenever I see them. Correcting lies don't mean you hate liars or have a sense of superiority - it just means you're stating facts. I don't have time for asinine pissing contests about measuring d1cks.

As for soccer, I really can't speak for Nigerian soccer and the talents coming through (I never lived there). However, I can speak for the UK. Growing up, most Yoruba parents weren't keen on sports because it was meant for yobs. But a lot of us still played soccer and rugby in school. And if you know about how soccer in the UK is structured - you'd know that you've go through the soccer academies from a tender age to have a chance. However, that has changed now since the parents can see the crazy money involved and today, almost every soccer academy in the UK has tons of young Yoruba kids (I also have two younger cousins playing for Tottenham's under-14 team). And in the next 5-10 years, the EPL should be brimming with a lot of soccer players of Nigerian descent.

Anyway, I hope the both of you won't get mad - I want to add two more people. Erm, Jeff Green also has a Yoruba mother and (Lew Alcindor) Kareem Abdul Jabbar's forebears were Yorubas (not 23andMe DNA Yorubas - Yorubas who arrived in Trinidad in the 19th century and were aware of who they're).

This is Kareem Abdul Jabbar's interview with Al Jazeera:

Three Yoruba mutants: Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Hakeem Olajuwon, and Giannis Antetokoumpo. :wow:

Bonk, you're derailing a thread about Igbos by talking about unfounded 'Yoruba superiority'. Go away or I'll vow to troll every Yoruba thread I see on the Coli.