Why are Dominicans wholly convinced they aren't black?

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Serious question. I've NEVER met a Dominican that acknowledges themselves as black. If you call them that they get extremely offended and always have to clarify to you that they identify as "Dominican", or one of the ethnicities from the DR like taino (I think that's what it's called).

Do these nikkas not understand that nationality/ethnicity is not tied to race? :dahell:

What blows my mind even more is not only do they not acknowledge themselves as black, but some of them genuinely think they're above them. I've had Dominicans dudes who're darker than me with nappier hair deadass look me in the eye and have the nerve to make disparaging comments about black people to me. Like...what?:dwillhuh:

Two things you must remember
  1. In the United States, the term "black" tends to be reserved for black americans. This is not me saying it. This is from experience and observation. I had a black american girl once tell me im not "black" because im not from here. This was over a discussion about me not being black according to her because i didnt know what a funnel cake was. She proceeded to say " But you really aint black, tho. Arent you from another country. Just because you have black skin doesnt make you "black" . For the record I'm haitian and yes I'm black.
  2. In the caribbean people take pride and associate mostly by nationality rather than race. Sure among them they may have some racial divide but unlike in the U.S. people claim thier nationality first before their race. Of the 3 countries ive lived in the U.S. is the only one where you must be conscious of your RACIAL makeup first before anything else.
While I agree with most that Dominicans can be very racist (well documented especially on the Coli), a black dominican telling you he is Dominican is the norm and there is nothing wrong with that. Just because the country YOU grew up in makes you associate with race first before all else doesnt mean it needs to be the norm for all. The problem is more the racial identity mindset in Amerikkka where you always have to remember you are black.

Last edited:

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
from what i would think is that domicans dont want to be labeled black cuz they are a mixed race... they dont believe in the one drop rule like they do in the US.

its like being mexican, mexicans dont want to be called white if they look lighter then the other mexicans... idk if that makes sense.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Here in NYC i have interacted with Dominicans some cool some be on that c00n shyt. But I always say I prefer Ricans over Dominicans. As a Haitian i am never going to visit the DR. Besides I really do not care how they identify themselves. We cannot save everybody. If you are for black liberation and black empowerment that is enough for me even if you are a black dominican. But if you are on that c00n shyt you are the enemy of black people.

People who are on that c00n shyt when black folk are at the bottom, should not benefit when black folks reach to the top.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
The Coli needs to make up it's mind, in one thread you got dudes saying Biracials and mulattoes aren't black, yet here's a thread shytting on Dominicans for not saying they're Black.

your simping of the Dominican women must not be at the cost of your black pride. Besides, I rather get me an Igbo woman from Nigeria or an Ethiopian woman if I want a black woman that ain't c00ning.