Whoa: Black Mizzou Football Players Have Boycotted Over Campus Racism (Updated:President Resigns)

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm always hearing how universities are becoming way too PC.

Plenty of private Liberal Arts institutions are liberal to the point of caricature. Plenty are more "traditional" aka reflective of wealthy conservative values. All are populated by the ultra-wealthy in general, so often the outward appearance of humanistic, progressive values simply serve to cloak a cold, corporate soul.

As far as public universities go, yeah, much of the faculty - hyper-educated, comfortable though not necessarily rich - skew left, particularly in the humanities. But where public, state funds are involved the politicians exert a lot of influence on University policy. It couldn't be a more bureaucratic, bottom-line system. In Iowa, for example, the University faculty have been fighting (to no avail) against the appointment of a complete hack from the business sector to the school presidency. This can be traced back to the board of regents, who are appointed by the governor, who is friends with the Koch brothers. Our nation as a whole is extremely conservative and corporate-minded - what passes as the democratic agenda today would've made conservatives blush in previous decades; what passes for republican thought would've been considered sheer lunacy by conservatives in previous decades. As much as people bandy about the terms "oligarchy" and "plutocracy" it's clear they don't quite grasp just how serious, present, and dangerous the corporate takeover of America is on just about every level of public life. The Trans-Pacific Partnership should scare 90% of the populace to fukking death. But no one has the time or information or critical skills to know what the fukk it even is. And that's the point of the new University model - to keep people focused on becoming cogs, and not view our culture critically.

HabeeNo

All Star
Daps
Great win by the university (and I mean the students and community.) What's sad is that it's clear that a person going on a hunger strike for a cause during several days did not do 1% of the damage caused by the football team in less than 2 days.

This proves what we all knew: Hit the white man's pocket, you're in control and will see results.

Salute to Mizzou:salute:

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Plenty of private Liberal Arts institutions are liberal to the point of caricature. Plenty are more "traditional" aka reflective of wealthy conservative values. All are populated by the ultra-wealthy in general, so often the outward appearance of humanistic, progressive values simply serve to cloak a cold, corporate soul.

As far as public universities go, yeah, much of the faculty - hyper-educated, comfortable though not necessarily rich - skew left, particularly in the humanities. But where public, state funds are involved the politicians exert a lot of influence on University policy. It couldn't be a more bureaucratic, bottom-line system. In Iowa, for example, the University faculty have been fighting (to no avail) against the appointment of a complete hack from the business sector to the school presidency. This can be traced back to the board of regents, who are appointed by the governor, who is friends with the Koch brothers. Our nation as a whole is extremely conservative and corporate-minded - what passes as the democratic agenda today would've made conservatives blush in previous decades; what passes for republican thought would've been considered sheer lunacy by conservatives in previous decades. As much as people bandy about the terms "oligarchy" and "plutocracy" it's clear they don't quite grasp just how serious, present, and dangerous the corporate takeover of America is on just about every level of public life. The Trans-Pacific Partnership should scare 90% of the populace to fukking death. But no one has the time or information or critical skills to know what the fukk it even is. And that's the point of the new University model - to keep people focused on becoming cogs, and not view our culture critically.
The Koch brothers’ influence on college campus is spreading

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I haven't been attention to this story and the few articles I read did not go into full detail. What did the President do/not do? From what I can gather it doesn't seem like he should lose his job.

Daps
Reppin
Oakland CA
I haven't been attention to this story and the few articles I read did not go into full detail. What did the President do/not do? From what I can gather it doesn't seem like he should lose his job.

If u don't know or haven't been reading, maybe u shouldn't c00n & give an opinion :ohhh:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If u don't know or haven't been reading, maybe u shouldn't c00n & give an opinion :ohhh:

Maybe you should educate me then....The only thing I can find out is that

1. There were three racial incidents on campus
2. Some students tried to talk to the president during a home coming event.
3. The President ignored their requests.
4. A graduate student goes on a hunger strike demanding the resignation of the president.
5. Football team joins protest.
6. President retires.

Is this a fair summation of what happened or was there more?

Kokoro

Passion
Supporter
Daps
Why are you forming an opinion if youre not up to date on current info?

Anyway, he did nothing to attempt to mitigate racism on campus after reported racist incidents such as: feces swastika, students being called ******, cotton balls being placed around the black culture center and black students expressing that they didnt feel safe on campus

President Ono at the University of Cincinnati is a good example of what the president should have done. President Ono called for officer tensing's resign and openly stated that he stood with the irate 8 and increased diversity on campus. If Missouri's president would have said something as simple as racism will not be tolerated on campus blah blah, then he probably wouldnt have been fired tbh

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
:mjlol: I swear he must have some clause about pushing standard "conservative"talking points in his contract.

shyt is pathetic. I "get" that the show is basically good cop v bad cop when it comes to sports. IE one person takes a ridiculous position ("LeBron James is overrated"), the other person takes the opposite position, and the fireworks fly. But when I see black radio hosts or TV analysts play that game with race I want to throw up. Stop taking positions just to get daps from racist or racially retarded white listeners/viewers.This shyt too serious for games. If you wanna play games with sports and troll people, fine. But don't do that with serious issues.

Think about all the sports radio shows with one black guy and one white guy. You know at least a hundred black dudes are on local radio RIGHT NOW embarrassing themselves on this shyt. scustin'....