Who was the bigger scumbag, Tony Soprano or Walter White?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I'm not sure who was worse. Walt giving up all his money to try to save Hank is something I don't imagine Tony doing.

He only did that because anything happening to Hank = Walt's life is basically over. Which is what happened in "Ozymandias".

Fred.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I always thought it had to do with him killing Tracee.

Fred.
Definitely.

tracee-sopranos-autopsy.jpg

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Francis White

i been away to long, my feeling died.
Daps
Reppin
New York, New York
It still amazes me how many folks are still mesmerized by Walt’s fake valiant guy act. He got in the game under the guise of trying to make sure his family was provided for after his imminent death. He coulda accomplished that by the middle of season 1 if he had just swallowed his pride.
You give everyone else the same excuse? Gus could have stopped selling drugs years ago. Mike could have turned down the offer to kill people for Gus. Jesse has no excuse for being in the drug. Two parent household. White and affluent. What about him? That’s Walt fault? All of the characters made choices that brought them on that path and to blame Walt for everything is ridiculous.

Daps
You give everyone else the same excuse? Gus could have stopped selling drugs years ago. Mike could have turned down the offer to kill people for Gus. Jesse has no excuse for being in the drug. Two parent household. White and affluent. What about him? That’s Walt fault? All of the characters made choices that brought them on that path and to blame Walt for everything is ridiculous.

I never said a good thing about Jesse. I don’t know enough about Gus’s background (I just finished re-watching seasons 1-4 Better Call Saul, and am just two episodes into Season 5, so please don’t spoil me on any reveals from this season).

It’s very telling that your whole defense of Walt is that he wasn’t the only bad guy. Of course he wasn’t... they were in the drug game. But he seems to be the only one that people give a pass to cuz he was tryna make sure his wife and kids were straight. :francis:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
It still amazes me how many folks are still mesmerized by Walt’s fake valiant guy act. He got in the game under the guise of trying to make sure his family was provided for after his imminent death. He coulda accomplished that by the middle of season 1 if he had just swallowed his pride.
Walt's biggest sin is his hubris and jealousy. He was a nobody that felt wronged and once he got a taste of real power for the first time in his life he became drunk on it and addicted to it. Tony always had power. He does what he does because he wants to. He feels entitled to take the lives of others or to merely ruin their lives. What Tony wants Tony takes. He begrudges others even a slice of happiness if he sees it as even the slightest affront. There is no contrition or remorse to him. Tony vs Marlo is the real comparison while Walter White vs Marty Byrde might be more apt.

Daps
Walt's biggest sin is his hubris and jealousy. He was a nobody that felt wronged and once he got a taste of real power for the first time in his life he became drunk on it and addicted to it. Tony always had power. He does what he does because he wants to. He feels entitled to take the lives of others or to merely ruin their lives. What Tony wants Tony takes. He begrudges others even a slice of happiness if he sees it as even the slightest affront. There is no contrition or remorse to him. Tony vs Marlo is the real comparison while Walter White vs Marty Byrde might be more apt.
I don’t think Walter White is comparable to Marty Byrd at all....Marty didn’t do anywhere near the level of scumbag shyt that Walt did. Both foolishly and willfully got in the game late in life, but that’s about where that comparison ends.

Tony and Marlo is a good comparison, but not a fair one, cuz we know so much more about Tony.

I think the Walt/Tony comparison is a good one because of their differences.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
I don’t think Walter White is comparable to Marty Byrd at all....Marty didn’t do anywhere near the level of scumbag shyt that Walt did. Both foolishly and willfully got in the game late in life, but that’s about where that comparison ends.

Tony and Marlo is a good comparison, but not a fair one, cuz we know so much more about Tony.

I think the Walt/Tony comparison is a good one because of their differences.
Marty witnessed the guy he was replacing murdered in front of him by his new employer. He knew the people he was getting into business with. He acted like he didn't want to do it at first but it was obvious he just wanted the ok from his wife. Marty hasn't gotten his hands as dirty as Walt but he has been responsible for destroying plenty of lives and the fact he tries to justify and sees him self as still a good guy is pretty reprehensible:hubie:

Francis White

i been away to long, my feeling died.
Daps
Reppin
New York, New York
Noble prize winners are nobodies? He was at the helm of a billion dollar company. Yet he was a nobody? The coli.com.

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Tony was worse by far. He operated out of spite 65% of the time :dead:

He never had the makings of a varsity athlete and that pushed him down a dark path.

HoloGraphic

Trillionaire
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Walt poisoned a kid.
Tony threw away everything to protect children.

Tony wouldn't cross a line and it cost him everything. He "redeemed" (too strong of a word) himself under pressure.

Walt was the opposite in his crunch moment in Ozy. "He made up his mind 10 mins ago." Hank says before he's shot. Referencing Walter has lost his soul as his actions are now killing his family.
Then he sells out his partner(his prodigal son), and comes back years later after exile (jail time) to make amends.

On a knifes edge, Tony still had his word and his balls in the right place. We had to wait a year or so for Walter to realize he couldn't protect Haley...After his metaphorical death, his exile. Which is why he took her with him but left her at the firestation. It was after the fact he figures everything out, his loss of innocence and purpose: protecting his children.

They both lost everything in life but Tony never lost his soul. Walt regained it by leaving Haley and rescuing Jesse.