Who started the myth that money can’t buy happiness?

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I think that's due to capitalism replacing barter systems, but I'm no economist.​
That’s interesting. I wonder if people were happier back then? But, I guess they had more pressing things to worry about, not having modern medicine or technology to aid them in life.

Are people in communist countries happier? :jbhmm:

Shamayw_33

All Star
Supporter
Daps
One of the most important criteria, IMO, for being happy is contentment. If you're greedy, you can't be content, therefore, you ain't happy.​

Some rich people are like dogs chasing their tails. They pursue the money until they get it, and then don't know what to do with it when they have it.

For some of them, it's the chase that makes them happy.

Shamayw_33

All Star
Supporter
Daps
That’s interesting. I wonder if people were happier back then? But, I guess they had more pressing things to worry about, not having modern medicine or technology to aid them in life.

Are people in communist countries happier? :jbhmm:

We wouldn't know because they'd be punished or killed for speaking ill of the country and its systems, so they keep quiet out of fear.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who started the myth that money can’t buy happiness? :dahell:

Motherfukker, it definitely can and does :ufdup:

Was this idea just started by rich people to keep the middle and lower classes down. To stop them from trying to make more money for themselves?
full

I was looking back at my life. When I was poor, making like $30K a year, I was always anxious, worried, and depressed.

Every time I level up to a new salary level, my life improves. Less worry, freedom to pursue the hobbies I enjoy. Freedom to eat out at nice restaurants. The ability to take vacations and travel. Nicer material goods. More self-esteem. Better cloths and cars. Etc, etc.

fukk this conspiracy that tells us money can’t buy happiness. Money is the tool you can use to do whatever you want. Being wealthy is a freedom not many people have... maybe by design
full
There was a guy on here who posted a bunch of Bible verses justifying mediocrity. Talking about it’s easier for a camel to pass thru the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to get to heaven. I read his post and was instantly overwhelmed with pity for him. Sucks to be that guy.

benjamin

Veteran
Daps
Its typically broke people who think money makes you happy...money can't make you happy, it can alieviate certain stresses and give you temporal happiness but it alone cannot make u happy, that's why most rich people are miserable..the reason I say it's broke people that think this is because if they had real money they would know their happiness really isn't any more better they had money ...the happiest people I know are those with the least amount of money, the people I know with real bread are miserable as hell..

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
Rich people can suffer from depression just as much as those who aren't. Money is a tool and can solve external problems

You have student loan debt? Not anymore you paid it off. Your family is living check to check? Buy them a house and set them up for financial freedom. Bills? Paid. Luxuries? You name it and you can have them all.

But when it comes down to it, true happiness can't be found with money

Kurt Cobain. Anthony Bordain. Robin Williams. Chris Lighty. The list goes on
We've seen this story time and time again. No matter how much money you have, all you have at the end of the day is yourself. The key to inner peace and happiness is inner work. Being aware of and maintaining your mental health, maintaining healthy habits, keeping your self-esteem at a balanced level, nourishing and guarding your spirit, and doing what makes you happy

What's money if you have money management issues? Poor impulse control? No knowledge of financial literacy? Addiction? Depression? Grief you're dealing with?

You can be satiated with money to a small degree. But you will never be genuinely happy until you are at peace within

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Its typically broke people who think money makes you happy...money can't make you happy, it can alieviate certain stresses and give you temporal happiness but it alone cannot make u happy, that's why most rich people are miserable..the reason I say it's broke people that think this is because if they had real money they would know their happiness really isn't any more better they had money ...the happiest people I know are those with the least amount of money, the people I know with real bread are miserable as hell..
I’ve known some very wealthy people. I had a friend whose Dad was the VP of a very well known company. He had his own jet and hanger. They all seemed happy. I had another friend whose dad did high-level contracting for the government. He had a monster house. Everybody in that family were fun, happy, and generous. They legit seemed very happy :yeshrug:

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
I believe it can in many cases but sometimes if you have some sort of chemical imbalance or mental issue that won't matter.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I believe it can in many cases but sometimes if you have some sort of chemical imbalance or mental issue that won't matter.
I actually have a chemical imbalance (bi-polar). Money can buy the best psychiatrists, who don’t take insurance. My current psychiatrist charges like $110 for 20 minutes. But, she is very good. She finally was able to find the appropriate medicine for me. Before that, I was going to cheap psychiatrists that took my insurance. It didn’t really work, trying bullshyt medicines over and over to no avail :ld:

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
I actually have a chemical imbalance (bi-polar). Money can buy the best psychiatrists, who don’t take insurance. My current psychiatrist charges like $110 for 20 minutes. But, she is very good. She finally was able to find the appropriate medicine for me. Before that, I was going to cheap psychiatrists that took my insurance. It didn’t really work, trying bullshyt medicines over and over to no avail :ld:
Sure it can buy the medicine that helps you live a normal life but I'm just saying it can't directly make you happy is all I meant.