Who killed WCW produced by The Rock

DaHNIC82

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Off The Cuff Radio/ScrewballRadio/BudeBoyEnt
What seemed to also happen was that they got cold feet in deading the NWO angle... Sting winning the title would have put a end to the story but during that time, NWO popularity and merch was moving through the roof and Eric didn't wanna kill it. Then again also, They probably didn't have no plans afterwards and it showed in the shaky 1998 booking

Daps
Reppin
Eagle, Colorado
I think if you were to answer the question, "who killed WCW?" it would have to be a breakdown like the following:

Bischoff 37%
Hogan and his contract 20%
The rise of the WWF Attitude era 14%
Booking 8%
Vince Russo 9%

etc etc

(I just threw some random numbers up there, but ya'll get the point)

I don't think the answer to the question is one answer only.
I think Nash deserves a good chunk of the blame as well.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Shoutout Rock for getting good talking heads (Eric, Nash, Bret, Sullivan, Flair, etc) for something like this. The AOL/Time Warner Merger is the real answer to the question but everyone knows how much fukkery WCW had TV and booking wise.

I'm hearing they got old Turner execs for this too.... it's gonna be a real doc not just some cookie cutter WWE BS

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
What seemed to also happen was that they got cold feet in deading the NWO angle... Sting winning the title would have put a end to the story but during that time, NWO popularity and merch was moving through the roof and Eric didn't wanna kill it. Then again also, They probably didn't have no plans afterwards and it showed in the shaky 1998 booking

I think the nWo still had legs because even to this day people love the Wolfpac. But I agree with you that they had cold feet about finally ending it and that did in part lead to a downfall in creative.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
I think the nWo still had legs because even to this day people love the Wolfpac. But I agree with you that they had cold feet about finally ending it and that did in part lead to a downfall in creative.
And to this day the nWo black and white shirt is still one of WWE’s best selling t-shirts.

Striving For Greatness

Get Certs or Die Tryin
Daps
Maybe it's just me but it's interesting that WCW and ECW got dismantled around the same time period but most people always look back on ECW with fondness and delight and we still scream "E-C-DUB!" to this very day yet when most people look back at WCW its out of sadness and confusion especially during the last couple of chaotic years... I never heard a "DUB-C-DUB!" chant a day in my life.
:pachaha:
It’s not a catchy chant and that was their thing

I still see fans rocking nwo merch and big gold replicas

They keep remixing the big gold and they have the us title. Small elements of each company still live within the E wcw even more so, shyt even the lwo byke

:manny:

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps
Wcw died because of the culture. Wrestlers knew it was an easy check and guys would go there “get hurt” and sit and get paid. Always was that way. That existed pre hogan. Him coming actually made it a shark cage and guys started beefing with no vince like figure to settle them down and choose a direction. Eric wasnt the guy and noone really would be unless turner himself showed up. Bisch and hogan turned it into a success but the underlying problem still existed and once they cooled and left, it was done. Wcw went on for a year after hogan left and was still the shyts. Dont see how hogan was responsible for wcw failing when hes the reason it even got that high up. Nwo was hot yea but had he not been there wcw woulda been off tv a lot faster. Eric being his little man wasnt good in the long run but i dont think anyone could have saved it from being a time bomb. Bischoff isnt a genius or anything but his run was the best run in the companies history. By the time it was unwatchable, it was too late.

I dont think it was hogan biscoff or russo, but the combo of ALL of it. Those are the internet fans picks because they hate them.

Imo the biggeat killer was bad booking and going all out crash tv. Early day nwo were screwfests yes but they had definitive stories and was still wrestling at its core. Hogan took Ls to roddy, goldberg, luger. Etc. then stuff just stopped making sense and the belt wouod change hands every week. Even wwe was the same way i hated 99/00 wwe/wcw. Wrestlemania 2000 was a horrible ppv. Every match was a 5 way with crazy rules. Wwe were better storyteller's tho.Wcw had so many issues, and sadly tony kahn repeats the random booking aspect of it.

Last edited:

Toe Jay Simpson

Searchin’
Daps
Reppin
Carmel City
They got dismantled because they had ZERO ANSWERS for the Rock and Austin.
They had answers. DDP, Sting and Goldberg were it but politics and bad booking stagnated all of them. WCW 99 with Bret Hart coming in should have been their biggest year. They had everything they needed but other peoples wants came first.

Lurk Angle

All Star
Daps
Seems like they told this a hundred times already

WCW would of lasted longer had ATM Eric focused on building new talent earlier and not give people like hoegan creative control

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hate this topic because all of the people from that era that would be interesting to get their true beliefs are all liars and workers

Nash/Bischoff/Hoe-gan/Russo

i think if you HAD to put on someone and you could only pick one person it’s Hogan which is ironic because he’s also the reason for the boom in the first place. they was on the verge of death in 94 before he came in.

that being said these goofies who take no accountability will be blaming some turner exec and the AOL/Time Warner mergervas if the main reason that they wanted the show off their networks wasn’t because all the people i mentioned ran it into the ground to where it was a worthless fukking product

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
I hate this topic because all of the people from that era that would be interesting to get their true beliefs are all liars and workers

Nash/Bischoff/Hoe-gan/Russo

i think if you HAD to put on someone and you could only pick one person it’s Hogan which is ironic because he’s also the reason for the boom in the first place. they was on the verge of death in 94 before he came in.

that being said these goofies who take no accountability will be blaming some turner exec and the AOL/Time Warner mergervas if the main reason that they wanted the show off their networks wasn’t because all the people i mentioned ran it into the ground to where it was a worthless fukking product
It's going to end up being like every other thing done on the death of WCW. Literally everyone that was responsible for the downfall is going to talk about how great of a job they did while shytting on everyone else because their egos are gigantic and they have less than zero self awareness.

It's like they think because something they did worked like gangbusters during the boom of WCW that it automatically means everything they did was gold, so clearly it was someone else's fault for the downfall. Like today Russo still insists it was a great idea to put the WCW title on David Arquette.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
The clique.
The group of no talent, low talent in both organizations.

Then later tna as well.

Same as who ruined the boom in wwf.
Plus ruined rhe quality markers of wcw. Driving both organizations.
to never be a mainstream organizations.
Where both organizations heads were both fascinated with the no talents in the clique.

Art Barr

Last edited:

drifter

Superstar
Daps
Even when NWO was at its hottest nobody at Turner except Ted Turner wanted wrestling. Then when he lost control the wolves were freed and you got what you got

None of it keeps from the reality that the people in this doc talking about who killed WCW are the ones who killed it lol, just that both can be true. The network never wanted wrestling even at the peak of the war, the wrestlers/bookers lost 60 mil in one year and that was all she wrote

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Even when NWO was at its hottest nobody at Turner except Ted Turner wanted wrestling. Then when he lost control the wolves were freed and you got what you got

None of it keeps from the reality that the people in this doc talking about who killed WCW are the ones who killed it lol, just that both can be true. The network never wanted wrestling even at the peak of the war, the wrestlers/bookers lost 60 mil in one year and that was all she wrote
That $60 mil was a such a small drop in the bucket compared to some of the larger problems going on at AOL Time Warner
I think a lot of people cannot comprehend how disastrous that merger was for Warner. It was probably the worst move in American corporate history
AOL Time Warner lost $100 billion in 2002. So a full year after WCW failed to exist they lost $100 billion.