Who Is The New Denzel? Hollywood Struggles To Launch Next Black Stars

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
It was released too late, which is why it wasn't selected for an award. Many critics think Fruitvale was the best movie of 2013. But there were other films. It didn't hurt him, it garnered him even more attention which is why he is in the radar. I just hope he doesn't mess up and act in one of those Madea films. But hey, Tyler Perry is a very powerful dude in Hollywood.
It was released TOO EARLY. Fruitvale came out in August last year. The Oscar bait usually start hitting around late October. Fruitvale just was just forgotten about by the time everyone started to pay attention...

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
THe black stars are getting old as fukk. We need new blood from Generation Y.
we got lot of new blood its just that lot of black folks aint look for them meaning white ppl is not hiring them as lead actors. They go the indie route

black ppl need more support when comes to the indie /independent films. We need distribution

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
Chadwick Boseman could be a leading actor.. he has the stage/acting background, he just has to get the right roles.

I was re-watching season 2 of Justified a while back and he popped up in the episode with Larenz Tate... He played a drug dealer who wanted to be a magician.

John Boyaga was supposed to have that Spike Lee/Mike Tyson inspired series "Da Brick"... HBO turned it down last I heard tho.

All of those actors listed in the OP have potential really...

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's not just black men; it's minorities in general. Hollywood cinema is shooting themselves in the foot by refusing to turn minorities into stars and refusing to do mainstream movies with interracial couples at the forefront. Hollywood can't make money off a Jennifer Lawrence-Michael B Jordan rom-com?

:mjpls:

luckyse7enz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit/Los Angeles
"For now, when there are starring roles for young black actors in mainstream studio movies, they mostly are in historical dramas such as December's Selma, about Martin Luther King Jr., which is starring another up-and-coming actor, David Oyelowo, 38. Boseman wasn't offered that film but he probably would have passed had he been approached.

:snoop:

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
I think thats a first time Ive seen a list talking about black actors and idris elba's name wasnt mentioned. Idris name gets thrown into the discussion for every prominent black role.

Not that I'm mad at that, Idris commands the screen with his presence. His movie choices have been questionable though.

Midrash

All Star
Daps
I just feel like there is no young community of black actors to choose from. A lot of those cats from the 80s and 90s chopped up game together and were rotated regularly which made a lot of them like Eddie Murphy, Will Smith, Martin Lawrence, Jamie Foxx, etc rise to prominence easily. The only really black cinema star who is still making urban focused comedies while still maintaining crossover appeal are Kevin Hart, Ice Cube, Tyler Perry, Terry Crews, etc. The pool is definitely smaller and a lot of those dudes are aging. With the black comedy scene shrinking as well making it much harder to find talented black actors. A lot of actors came from the comedy scene.

I expect black films to be extinct by 2040 if we don't buck the trend. I'm a millenial but a lot of these black millenials which the actual resources to make urban films are on this #newblack steeze c00ning and buck dancing while the only black people who still care about being black still on that ignorant trap shyt doing instagram modeling and half assed music careers instead of making something with meaning in the acting world.

http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2012...te-of-black-films-says-theyre-almost-extinct/

XII

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Dule Hill bout to take over :wow:

Post-34700-Dule-Hill-walking-gif-damn-gir-ygvk.gif

Yea, I think he could, but he's been in some garbage recently, like the Purge Anarchy as a supporting character and that Spike Lee's Da Blood of Jesus as another supporting character; dude can't catch a starring role and the movies he chooses are terrible
Purge: Anarchy was good, though :dwillhuh:

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
lol @ "Hollywood struggles to launch next black stars"

I wasnt aware they were trying to launch the careers of any new black stars

now if you said they were struggling to launch the careers of the next white stars then I would agree because they have been trying and these new white boys keep flopping

other than Idris,when has any new black actors even got a shot to become a star?

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Let's keep it 100. The new crop of Black Actors fail in comparison to the previous generation. I'm not saying they are terrible I'm just saying the Previous Class was just so impressive, so superior. They won't be topped for awhile. Good luck to these young black brotha's though. There is no "Next" Denzel. Denzel is Denzel. He's a Legend.