Who has VA Disability?

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
yeah they could frock a 1SG. But that a SGM. You have to get selected to attend the academy and graduate. After that you can be frocked. But now that’s even more competitive it’s people who graduated the academy 2 years ago that haven’t pinned yet.

In order to collect the pay you would need to complete the extra time and successfully serve in the position for 3 years after pinning on. What happens is they just do an average of your highest 3 ranks if you aren’t able to collect the full pay entitlements.

Why do you think you weren't selected for the Academy?

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
How did you build your case?
Because Ideally, im trying to get build me a case for 100%
I have a CPAP machine for sleep apnea
I have gone to sick call for my knees one time. But how many times do I need to go?
I'm Infantry and I work around Bradley.

You have to keep going back. Also bring up hearing issue, emotional issues, and things such as headaches (migraines) and it’s no way you can convince me you don’t have an issue with your back and shoulders.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I gave up jump status, stayed in heavy units too long (mechanized) and didn’t score any valor awards.
That's funny because all the dudes I served with in the 82nd that didn't work with SF eventually went to Styrker units, The funny thing about the duece was there were a lot of Old NCO's who spent the majority of their careers at Bragg. They made being sent to a leg unit seem like death.

If fukking around maintaining a Hummvee was corny I couldn't imagine working on a Bradley.

I remember when I was in the DEP I was doing PT with the recruiting station and the 1SG said only the top 1% of NCO's become 1SG's so I assumed that people hooked up people they liked. All E-7's and above in Conventional units got bronze stars it'd be a snap to justify at least a ArCom with Valor award.

Did you know before you became a E-6P that it was unlikely that you'd make it to E-9? I was an E-6 and I really didn't give it much thought Support weenies had to be super high speed to get to that lofty height. It seemed that they knew dudes "hid out" in SOF support and you had to be good to even stick around.

I had already heard that a lack of a tab (short or long) was gonna hinder me. But I did want to go to the Joint Communications Unit but at the time it was so secret that I didn't really know how to apply. It was more hush hush than the ISA/ Mission Support Activity / Task force Orange but The Orange dudes were operational not really support.

I guess I'm saying was it like in the SOF community you kinda knew where you stood and the likelyhood of picking up a Diamond or a Star?

I will say the S-1 of my old Company in the duece is now the CSM of the Signal Schoolhouse I wonder how his best friend feels about him having a truly "meh" pawg

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I gave up jump status, stayed in heavy units too long (mechanized) and didn’t score any valor awards.
I was a GWOT enlistee so I kinda didn't know shyt about the peacetime army and didnt care. But even I know that I was supposed to have instructor time, Time on the trail or be a recruiter (or all 3) I did have a degree so I was good, but I didn't even go to ANOC (although I was slated to go before I got hurt) I didn't do anything to get promoted but If I were on the conventional side I know to make nice with the Battalion S-1 shop and especially the 71L's and kiss ass to get hooked up.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That's funny because all the dudes I served with in the 82nd that didn't work with SF eventually went to Styrker units, The funny thing about the duece was there were a lot of Old NCO's who spent the majority of their careers at Bragg. They made being sent to a leg unit seem like death.

If fukking around maintaining a Hummvee was corny I couldn't imagine working on a Bradley.

I remember when I was in the DEP I was doing PT with the recruiting station and the 1SG said only the top 1% of NCO's become 1SG's so I assumed that people hooked up people they liked. All E-7's and above in Conventional units got bronze stars it'd be a snap to justify at least a ArCom with Valor award.

Did you know before you became a E-6P that it was unlikely that you'd make it to E-9? I was an E-6 and I really didn't give it much thought Support weenies had to be super high speed to get to that lofty height. It seemed that they knew dudes "hid out" in SOF support and you had to be good to even stick around.

I had already heard that a lack of a tab (short or long) was gonna hinder me. But I did want to go to the Joint Communications Unit but at the time it was so secret that I didn't really know how to apply. It was more hush hush than the ISA/ Mission Support Activity / Task force Orange but The Orange dudes were operational not really support.

I guess I'm saying was it like in the SOF community you kinda knew where you stood and the likelyhood of picking up a Diamond or a Star?

I will say the S-1 of my old Company in the duece is now the CSM of the Signal Schoolhouse I wonder how his best friend feels about him having a truly "meh" pawg

I kind of knew when I made MSG I would have a hard time. When I received an assignment after my 2nd go around as a 1SG to be the NCOIC of force integration (work with vendors and training integrators for new equipment) I knew it wasnt likely to get selected for the academy. The majority of my peers that got selected had something like a Purple Heart or Valor award. I have a couple of MSMs but missing with that V matters.

note:forgot to say I did instructor time not drill time. When it comes to selection to the academy and promotions past SFC it seems they value drill over instructor.

also we lost allocations for 19Z positions. Sure I could sit around for 23-24 years like others but I’m mentally checked out and ready to go. I knew the last CSM down at Gordon Simmons and he was a good dude. Honestly a conversation with him kind of convinced me to put in for retirement and CSM Carabalo.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I kind of knew when I made MSG I would have a hard time. When I received an assignment after my 2nd go around as a 1SG to be the NCOIC of force integration (work with vendors and training integrators for new equipment) I knew it wasnt likely to get selected for the academy. The majority of my peers that got selected had something like a Purple Heart or Valor award. I have a couple of MSMs but missing with that V matters.

note:forgot to say I did instructor time not drill time. When it comes to selection to the academy and promotions past SFC it seems they value drill over instructor.

also we lost allocations for 19Z positions. Sure I could sit around for 23-24 years like others but I’m mentally checked out and ready to go. I knew the last CSM down at Gordon Simmons and he was a good dude. Honestly a conversation with him kind of convinced me to put in for retirement and CSM Carabalo.

I did this in the supply shop in group. I ended up loving this job and working with GFEBS when it came online. Of course they value Drills over schoolhouse instructors. being a BNOC instructor is probably every easy.

Where you mainly a GWOT guy? I think I remember you doing time with the Rangers you never wanted to be a support dude or even a door kicker in batt?

I lost touch with most of my Basic Training guys but only one is still in I think and even he's an E-7 almost all of the people I knew got hurt or just got out.

If I couldn't stay in group I would've gotten out too.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
By the way I would say The School house was illrelevant to me. We did things differently in group than big Army. We used different equipment. I wasn't a Sierra but we used mostly sat coms and it wasn't like you just did your job only. You helped out and was helped to get the mission done. When I was with the B-Team I was trained and evaluated by a couple of old Team echo's and when i was trained up I had echo's from a team help me.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I did this in the supply shop in group. I ended up loving this job and working with GFEBS when it came online. Of course they value Drills over schoolhouse instructors. being a BNOC instructor is probably every easy.

Where you mainly a GWOT guy? I think I remember you doing time with the Rangers you never wanted to be a support dude or even a door kicker in batt?

I lost touch with most of my Basic Training guys but only one is still in I think and even he's an E-7 almost all of the people I knew got hurt or just got out.

If I couldn't stay in group I would've gotten out too.

I’m definitely a GWOT guy. I was in the LRS. By the time I made SSG I was done with all of that BS. I never wanted to be SF. I honestly liked what I did and enjoyed my time in conventional Army. I have battles at every point in my career that have gotten out at almost every slot in my career.

But I can say this much it definitely seems like the ones who got out between SSG-MSG are doing extremely well for themselves on the outside.

the good thing about this integration job is the various people you meet from the vendors and contractors. I kind of enjoyed this. Granted covid slowed everything down as I used to travel every where. But I’ve also spent the good part of this last year and will finish up my time working from home.

I’m definitely ready to take a go at it from the other side. But I must admit I’m only looking for DA or DOD jobs.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I’m definitely a GWOT guy. I was in the LRS. By the time I made SSG I was done with all of that BS. I never wanted to be SF. I honestly liked what I did and enjoyed my time in conventional Army. I have battles at every point in my career that have gotten out at almost every slot in my career.

But I can say this much it definitely seems like the ones who got out between SSG-MSG are doing extremely well for themselves on the outside.

the good thing about this integration job is the various people you meet from the vendors and contractors. I kind of enjoyed this. Granted covid slowed everything down as I used to travel every where. But I’ve also spent the good part of this last year and will finish up my time working from home.

I’m definitely ready to take a go at it from the other side. But I must admit I’m only looking for DA or DOD jobs.

basically dudes who got out in the '08 era hit the easy button on VA disability. at the beginning of GWOT dudes were coming home without faces and still getting 50%. I ran into a dude who lost his legs in 03 that got shytted on by the Army and the VA. by the time I got Medboarded I applied for my VA benefits in the hospital and recieved my pay before I was retired and ended up owing the VA. Then there was the contract jobs and the general economy was doing well. That was a great time to get out and many rushed for the door.

Like you I stayed in till forced out but also made connections with all those vendors.

The Army in general has too many MOS's I was a commo guy but I ended up doing the spectrum of communications almost everything except my actual job.

I wanted to a be a DA civilian badly, I wanted to deploy with the troops but I never got an Army job, I got plenty of Navy jobs. Don't be surprised if you end up as a Department of the Navy Civilian.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
basically dudes who got out in the '08 era hit the easy button on VA disability. at the beginning of GWOT dudes were coming home without faces and still getting 50%. I ran into a dude who lost his legs in 03 that got shytted on by the Army and the VA. by the time I got Medboarded I applied for my VA benefits in the hospital and recieved my pay before I was retired and ended up owing the VA. Then there was the contract jobs and the general economy was doing well. That was a great time to get out and many rushed for the door.

Like you I stayed in till forced out but also made connections with all those vendors.

The Army in general has too many MOS's I was a commo guy but I ended up doing the spectrum of communications almost everything except my actual job.

I wanted to a be a DA civilian badly, I wanted to deploy with the troops but I never got an Army job, I got plenty of Navy jobs. Don't be surprised if you end up as a Department of the Navy Civilian.

its all good with me I’d prefer an AF job as a civilian :russ: but I’ll likely be stuck here doing doctrine writing and integration from the other side. I’m still waiting on my VA physical. But the remainder of my time until than I’m at a medical appointment or physical therapy bi-weekly.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
its all good with me I’d prefer an AF job as a civilian :russ: but I’ll likely be stuck here doing doctrine writing and integration from the other side. I’m still waiting on my VA physical. But the remainder of my time until than I’m at a medical appointment or physical therapy bi-weekly.

The more documentation the better. But that shyt is like a god damned job. They'll have you thinking that you're legit disabled especially the PTSD stuff.

As far as the job front, I had my whole post army career laid out in my head. I wanted to go to the Defense Acquistions University and possibly work there.

I ended up as a quality assurance guy working on navy subs and carriers. You never know where you will end up.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The more documentation the better. But that shyt is like a god damned job. They'll have you thinking that you're legit disabled especially the PTSD stuff.

As far as the job front, I had my whole post army career laid out in my head. I wanted to go to the Defense Acquistions University and possibly work there.

I ended up as a quality assurance guy working on navy subs and carriers. You never know where you will end up.

how did you even get the training to do QA on subs? That sounds like something the navy would have a ton of Sailors in a rate for.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps

What does a Doctrine writer do? Do you write those field manuals and technical manuals that no one ever reads? shyt being saying You have to life and shift fires 90 degrees and never pick up a 240 B by the handle this page is intinionally left blank. I never understood that why is pages left Blank? is it to take notes? the army wastes millions of dollars on blank papers in Manuals alone.